Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed for the past year that the MFWD indicator in the instrument cluster of my 2720 seemed to be operating sporadically. When in MFWD sometimes it would light and other times it wouldn't. Then a couple weeks ago it stopped working completely. I looked in the Technical Manual and saw that the switch was a spring loaded DPST with only one set of contacts used. When in 2WD the switch plunger is pushed in, breaking the circuit. When in MFWD the plunger is released, closing the circuit. My switch was open all the time. It's odd that they designed the lever such that the default 2WD position of a spring-loaded plunger switch was "pushed in" and under tension all the time.

Fortunately the switch is very easy to get to and is located on the left side of the transmission housing at the bottom of the MFWD engagement lever. The same switch (LVA11188, $22) is used on the 2320, 2520, 2720 and Gen-1 2032R. Although it is mounted a bit differently on the 2320.

The switch is secured to the bracket with (2) 7mm bolts with a small threaded plate instead of nuts. The bracket is secured to the side of the transmission with a single 12mm bolt. It was much easier to remove the bracket first and then remove the two 7mm bolts after the bracket was off. Care is needed when tightening the two 7mm bolts as the tiny threaded plate only has about 2 threads and it would be very easy to strip. Once the bracket is removed it is very easy to remove the 7mm bolts, replace the switch and reattach.

The switch mounting holes are not slotted but there is some slop in the holes so a wee bit of adjustment is possible to obtain a positive engagement of the MFWD lever.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
No Stan, it's just a fine example of a well maintained machine!:good2:

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Stan, it's just a fine example of a well maintained machine!:good2:
Yeah, but if you'll notice I have that one slightly corroded 7mm bolt. I mean, the tractor is basically ruined. I know that no matter where I go folks will be staring at that bolt! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good to know. I try to keep some of these tips handy ...just in case. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Great information! This should go in the Technical library.

Oh...and your tractor frame is way too clean under there.....
:mocking:yelp i have to agree with ya-about it being so.............clean looking.:lol:

i too had to replace my switch pretty much the first yr i had my 2520--they gave me the switch back then, and i installed it-them little screws came loose and left it do the same thing urs did jgayman. been ok since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts