Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, I am heading to my local dealership to look at a 2520 with the following:

R4's
46 Backhoe
200CX Loader
54" Rear Blower
54" Quick Front Blade
5" Landscape Rake (Land Pride)
5" Blade (Land Pride)

I have a 600ft dirt/gravel driveway with significant elevation changes. It is constantly getting washed out. I have tried my luck with a small lawn tractor and box blade from the local hardware store and it has caused more frustration then assistance. I am located in the northern part of RI which gets a decent amount of snow, hence the snow blower. Parts of my driveway have hills and/or rocks on both sides so I don't think a blade would work out well for that.

I have read many threads about front vs. rear snow blower and it seems to be split down the middle. I am young and I think I can handle backing up for the time being.

The above small lawn tractor that I mentioned will be cutting the small lawn that I have which is why I moved from the original thought of 1026R to the 2520. I have about 4.9 acres of woods and my understanding is the 2520 would work out well for property maintenance, firewood, plowing, grading and anything else that I seems to come up.

I have been back and forth with them about my needs and this seems to fit the bill I think. Before I sign my life away I figured I would post here and get your opinions as well. I have been browsing the site for quite some time and learned so much it's unbelievable.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I think you're going to be very happy with that setup. :thumbup1gif: Don't overlook how useful a box blade can be. You didn't say how big the one you have is, but it's the most useful landscaping implement I've used so far. The 2520 is a very capable machine and should provide many years of smiles! :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,313 Posts
Sounds good. I would also consider dieselshadow comments on the BB. I have never needed to use a BB but I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about them. Maybe a BB and leave the rake and blade.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're going to be very happy with that setup. :thumbup1gif: Don't overlook how useful a box blade can be. You didn't say how big the one you have is, but it's the most useful landscaping implement I've used so far. The 2520 is a very capable machine and should provide many years of smiles! :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk.
The box blade I have is only 3ft. and made for ATV's and small lawn tractors. It is one that you tow behind so I don't think it would work well with the 2520.

Sounds good. I would also consider dieselshadow comments on the BB. I have never needed to use a BB but I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about them. Maybe a BB and leave the rake and blade.
Would the BB work well for dealing with rocks? I have a lot of rocks in my driveway that I'd like to clean up so my wife doesn't have to go off road with her Scion tC.

By the way I can't believe I got replies that quick!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,313 Posts
The box blade I have is only 3ft. and made for ATV's and small lawn tractors. It is one that you tow behind so I don't think it would work well with the 2520.

Would the BB work well for dealing with rocks?
I have a lot of rocks in my driveway that I'd like to clean up so my wife doesn't have to go off road with her Scion tC.

By the way I can't believe I got replies that quick!
Don't know how big the rocks are but your new BH will handle rather large rocks with ease.

BTW, dieselshadow and I are probably the coolest guys on this forum.:lol:

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
A 2520 will handle a 5' box blade with ease. I do almost all of my driveway maintenance with one from building it to maintaining and weeding it for mine and several neighbors. I think a rake would be nice, but it won't handle grading larger rock for long. I haven't tried a rear blade yet. I don't see it as versatile though. It doesn't have the scarifiers and weight, or the ability to carry larger amounts of material very far. That's the key to long smooth grades.

There are other cool guys here on the forum, I'm sure they'll step up and tell you all about themselves. :mocking:

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 2520 will handle a 5' box blade with ease. I do almost all of my driveway maintenance with one from building it to maintaining and weeding it for mine and several neighbors. I think a rake would be nice, but it won't handle grading larger rock for long. I haven't tried a rear blade yet. I don't see it as versatile though. It doesn't have the scarifiers and weight, or the ability to carry larger amounts of material very far. That's the key to long smooth grades.

There are other cool guys here on the forum, I'm sure they'll step up and tell you all about themselves. :mocking:

Sent using Tapatalk.
It sounds like I'll be replacing the blade with a box blade. This is why I posted here for valuable information like this!!!

Are there certain features that I should look for in a box blade? I know it's a fairly simple device but I'm not experienced operating one.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Make sure it's heavy. If you get one from JD, it'll not only fit the quick hitch you'll end up getting, but you'll be getting a good implement. There are plenty of good alternatives out there as well. Weight is a good indicator of how well it will perform. The heavier, the better. I prefer a fixed rear edge instead of a hinged one only because I haven't run one and don't know what the advantage of having it is. I use the back edge with the BB tilted back to do my final smoothing. If it were hinged the front edge would bite and I wouldn't get the smoothing action.

Make sure your dealer includes a ballast box for your loader as well. You'll need it to get the max performance out of your loader safely.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure it's heavy. If you get one from JD, it'll not only fit the quick hitch you'll end up getting, but you'll be getting a good implement. There are plenty of good alternatives out there as well. Weight is a good indicator of how well it will perform. The heavier, the better. I prefer a fixed rear edge instead of a hinged one only because I haven't run one and don't know what the advantage of having it is. I use the back edge with the BB tilted back to do my final smoothing. If it were hinged the front edge would bite and I wouldn't get the smoothing action.

Make sure your dealer includes a ballast box for your loader as well. You'll need it to get the max performance out of your loader safely.

Sent using Tapatalk.
You guys are awesome!

Do you manually adjust it to tilt backwards? I know I've seen attachments tilted side to side hydraulically but I am not sure about front to back. I just want to make sure I get everything I need the first time without having to go back and forth to the dealers.

·
Premium Member
10,207 Posts
You guys are awesome!

Do you manually adjust it to tilt backwards? I know I've seen attachments tilted side to side hydraulically but I am not sure about front to back. I just want to make sure I get everything I need the first time without having to go back and forth to the dealers.
From the factory, you will adjust the top link manually by screwing it in or out to set the front to back tilt. You can purchase aftermarket hydraulic top links, but you will need a remote hydraulic outlet on your tractor to run it. The same goes for side to side tilt, from the factory you can adjust it by turning the link manually, but you can get a hydraulic side link. It's referred to as "top and tilt", and you would need a remote outlet for each cylinder. For a complete top and tilt system, you would need two rear remotes on your tractor.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
BTW, dieselshadow and I are probably the coolest guys on this forum.:lol:[/QUOTE]

dieselshadow, yes, but let's not get carried away.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Hey, there's a few "Cool" Canadians here too!! :tongue:

Welcome to the site, lots of stuff here! :drinks:

Ballast box for sure. I'm starting to move some road crush and it takes the full weight of the ballast box to make it possible, but I have the 1026 with an H120 but the ballast is a secure feeling.

A box blade is certainly on my wish list for all the reasons others have said here. I use a 5' back blade and it is "OK" but it sure doesn't have the weight or containment of a box.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,313 Posts
With all the reading I have done over the years I sometimes wish I had a use for a BB. Actually I did have a use for one, back in 1981.
The Coolest, Gizmo2.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I dont see the need for the front blade IF you have a loader. But, thats just me.:laugh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after reading all the great advice here I am now the proud owner of a John Deere 2520. I am getting the 200CX loader, 54" Front Snow Blower, Rear Quick Hitch, 5ft. Rake, 5ft HD Box Blade. It was an absolutely great experience. My dealer answered all of my questions and made me understand everything very well!

Thank you everyone including "cool" and "not cool" folk! As soon as I get it I will be posting some pictures! I can't wait!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Congrats rigged!:good2: You got a great assortment of attachments. Your new machine will amaze you for sure. I noticed you didn't opt for the ballast box. The box blade will work for some things,but because of it's weight (not enough),and awkward size,it's really not practical for serious loader work. IMO,it would be a good idea to get the weight box added to your order.:)
I know the wait is agonizing too. How long will it be?

Greg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,313 Posts
Well after reading all the great advice here I am now the proud owner of a John Deere 2520. I am getting the 200CX loader, 54" Front Snow Blower, Rear Quick Hitch, 5ft. Rake, 5ft HD Box Blade. It was an absolutely great experience. My dealer answered all of my questions and made me understand everything very well!

Thank you everyone including "cool" and "not cool" folk! As soon as I get it I will be posting some pictures! I can't wait!!!!!!!
Good for you :good2:
Can't wait to see the pictures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to see how I managed with the box blade on my property knowing it won't be nearly as efficient as the ballast box. When I was talking with my dealer he said he has them at all times and I can pick one up for a discounted price if I decide to. Plus this gives me the chance to go back and pick it up and see what else I can get :good2:.

He said that he has to order the box blade and quick hitch so maybe the end of the week or so. I'm already going crazy, but in the mean time I get to look for stuff to add on like bolt on hooks and flood lights!! That should ease my John Deere fix for the time being.

·
Registered
16,285 Posts
Great! Another 2X20 owner on here. Soon, we will need our own special place on the forum page.:yahoo:

Congratulations on your new tractor.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.