Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a low hour JD2520 and will be putting it away in {COLD} Minnesota storage for 6 months. I am wondering if I should disconnect the battery in case there might be some computer in circuit that might drain it during the Winter. Also is Rotella T6 full synthetic 15W-40 a good replacement oil for the Yanmar diesel engine? Thank you.:usa

·
Administrator
17,963 Posts
There is no computer to drain the battery, but It's a good idea to move it a warm place if you can for storage. Any good diesel rated oils will work great in your new machine.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I agree with Kenny.
Also, Rotella T6 should be 5w40, not 15w40. 15w40 is not, generally, a synthetic.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I recently acquired a low hour JD2520 and will be putting it away in {COLD} Minnesota storage for 6 months. I am wondering if I should disconnect the battery in case there might be some computer in circuit that might drain it during the Winter. Also is Rotella T6 full synthetic 15W-40 a good replacement oil for the Yanmar diesel engine? Thank you.:usa
Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40 is what I use in ours.

If you are storing for 6 moths, I would recommend removing the battery and placing it on some kind a trickle charger.

We dont store our 2520 for the winter but I use something like this in the winter months for the boat, jet ski and riding mower batteries... https://smile.amazon.com/Clore-Automotive-PL4020-Pro-Logix-Maintenance/dp/B01F3R4SUW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=RX0J83BR2YQ5&keywords=prologix+battery+charger&qid=1570470192&sprefix=pro+logi,aps,214&sr=8-4

·
Registered
990 Posts
If it's the original JD battery it will probably be dead by the time you get it out of storage cold/warm, trickle or not, they only last so long. Congrats on thr new tractor you will love it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Full syn oil is a good idea if you plan on starting it while it is still cold out (I run full syn year round). Float style battery maintainer to keep battery charged. The mice comment previously is a very big deal if it is not in a good, secure building. You may not have any working electronics in the spring if you dont address them. I would also put some anti gel additive in your fuel and be sure it is filled to the top. Otherwise, you will be draining your fuel tank in the spring and wasting whatever is in there.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Yep, as posted get the battery to a warm place for storage! I also run full syn oil in my 2520. I found by leaving the hood up, the mice won't build in the engine compartment! They still might build on the trans case somewhere!:nunu: Laskeno, how low are the hours on your newly acquired 2520?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts