Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My early 2520 has the original 20 amp alternator with the external regulator. Because of additions to the tractor I'd like to upgrade but just cannot afford the dealer. Evidently the newer alternator (SN 406001 up) is internally regulated. I'm sure there is more to do than unbolt the old and rebolt the new but am hesitant to jump in and start cutting wires. I did this years ago on my old Ford 8n but had step-by-step help.

Can anyone provide assistance to guide me through the process?

I've search this site but can only find references to the fact that the alternator was changed (in 2008, I believe) but can not find "how to". I have the tech CD with schematics and component locations but have trouble translating the schematic to what's under the hood and behind the dashboard. Even the Denso part number (not the JD PN) for the upgraded alternator would help me find a suitable replacement but what I really need is the "how to do it".

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
It should not be to hard to do the swap. If you can post excerpts of the wiring diagrams I sure the guys here can walk you through the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,174 Posts
What upgrades did you add that consume more than 20 amps? The tractor itself barely uses any once it's running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts