Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very new here but figured I would throw up a build thread for building my ballast box for anyone that cares! These first few are getting it tacked together and starting to take some shape. The steel is 3/16" thick. I had it cut where I bought the steel at so I wouldnt have to handle 2/3 of a sheet of 3/16 steel. I am doing all the welding with a Hobart Handler 125EZ. Its a pretty small welder but it will burn through 1/8 plate very easy and penetrates 3/16 great. I have welded a lot with it, mostly 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4, and never had a weld get broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple of the lid I made for it. The box got partially painted, then I got anxious to fill it and got sand all over in the paint. So its all been sanded down smooth again and the box is repainted. Ill get some pictures of it in fresh paint soon. The lid is an angle iron frame and the lid is just plug welded down to that frame, since its not a structural piece. I wanted to keep warping to a minumin so it would still fit, so I just made some plug welds instead of fully welding the lid to the frame. The bolts that attach it are 1/2 grade 8. The nuts are welded inside the angle iron. The top perimeter of the box is 3/16 wall 1 1/2" square tubing. The lid is just a piece of 3/16. I filled it with 10 60# bags of sand. The box empty was heavier than I could move around, probably pushing 300#. So Im looking at around 850# minumum.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And thats all the pictures I have for now. I also welded a 2 1/2" piece of square tube, 3/16 wall, into the box to slide a hitch into if I needed it. Ill get a picture of that and it repainted soon. Also just got my teeth and shanks to build a tooth bar if anyone is interested in me making a build thread on that as well. I wont be starting on that until next week though when I have a few days off again.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks for post, good looking build, looks like you added a hitch as well?

:wgtt: from CT

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
Great job Jess!

And:
:wgtt:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
jessman388, As far as I'm concerned post up all the build post ya want. Build posts are always good and I think everyone can learn from them, the good and bad.
Thanks.

I like the idea of the D-Rings (Assuming there is one on both sides).

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Excellent first thread! The build quality looks great!:thumbup1gif:

How much do you have into building it yourself?

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York, nice build, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
That looks really nice and strong too. I was going to build one myself but then along came a gift certificate from family and the $50 deal from Deere. I couldn't pass up just buying one for a hundred bucks. Not that it matters bur I was going to use 1/4" angle for structure of the box (I have a bunch of scrap) and then just cover it with 1/8" plate.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
:gtfam:

Great job on that box!:good2: You will not regret adding the hitch.

BTW,those of us that build our own boxes have to stick together.:)

jessman388, As far as I'm concerned post up all the build post ya want.
I agree with Giz. We never get tired of members posting their builds/ideas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the positive feedback guys! This forum seems like a place full of good people with a positive attitude. I added a D-ring on both sides for a few reasons. In case I ever do need to lift it, I have a pick-up point and it gives me a place to tie stuff down on top of it if needed. Its 18"x24"x24". Gave me 6 cu/ft. Sand is 100 lb/cu/ft so it worked out nice for me. I got the main 3/16 plate cut and bought for $80. He cut me a deal though and didnt charge me labor, he is the father of a friend of my girlfriends. The rest of the steel I had laying around from other projects. So with paint and sand and welding wire and flap wheels, I have probably $250 in it total. But just raw materials, maybe $150. I went through probably 4 rolls of .030 wire through out the project.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You got that right!:good2:
That's what I like to hear! I should have a few more pictures tomorrow its suppose to actually be nice here I'll do some painting and take a few pictures.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Please do another thread on your toothbar when ypou get to it!

Reactions: keviny

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright I got the box in final paint, at least it looks that way till I can get it into some daylight and give it a once over. The lid is in final primer, and will need some sanding and paint. It had some rough spots where I welded it I wanted to fix. Isnt perfect by any means, but I wanted it to be somewhat smooth!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please do another thread on your toothbar when ypou get to it!
Heres the teeth and shanks. I for sure will write another thread once I get started on it. Ill be going Monday to the foundry to get my piece of 1/2"x3" plate. So hopefully Monday or Tuesday I will be able to get started on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And heres a few more. Dont look at the messy shop, its winter and projects seem to pile up in winter time.....:lol:

Attachments

Reactions: keviny

·
Registered
892 Posts
That turned out very nice. I wish I would have went ahead and built my own now... :thumbup1gif:

I am building a cultivator with built in subsoiler hopefully tonight though. I should at least get a good start on it anyways. Not going to be anything "fancy" but it should be functional. :D

Jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts