Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went our today to clean up from the latest storm, and when I hit the start it turned over real slow enough that I thought this puppy isn't going too.
Luckly it fired up and I was able clean everything up.
I don't think I am going to trouble shoot anything figuring I was very lucky to have it last this long.
Looking in JD parts they are asking $151.35 not sure if that is with my old battery or not, however it doesn't appear that they have one in stock.
Another storm coming Sunday I hope the tractors will start with a jump if necessary ?

Update: Called my dealer (really happy with my dealer) and asked if he needed to order one for me. Turns out they have changed the parts numbers, plus they are no longer dry charged. Qouted ~$98 plus sales tax, and they have it in stock. Can't beat that.

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
You did good at 7 years. The battery in my 2720 is the same as yours and it died around 4-years with the sudden-death syndrome. That is it started the tractor normally but 15-minutes later when I went to restart there was just a big click.

If buying a new JD battery insist on the WET CHARGED part number which sells for around $97. JD sells this battery two ways... DRY CHARGED which then the dealer must fill with electrolyte or WET CHARGED which is shipped filled, charged and ready to go. The price for the DRY CHARGED is ridiculous. If your dealer won't sell you the wet charged part number look for another nearby dealer who will.

Also, make sure they give you the $18 core credit.

Part Number:
TY26498A
Part Price:115.18 USD
Core Value:(18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return:97.18 USD
On Hand:
1 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description:Wet Charged Battery - BATTERY,WET,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

For comparison:

Part Number:
TY26498
Part Price:151.35 USD
Core Value:(18.00 USD)
End Price With Core Return:133.35 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description:Dry Charged Battery - BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI 22NF,CCA 500

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jgayman you are right on the money (no pun intended) he did say the new battery has the A on the end to indicate pre-charged. And your price is correct also.
Thanks for the reply so I'm off to the dealer !

·
Premium Member
13,629 Posts
jgayman you are right on the money (no pun intended) he did say the new battery has the A on the end to indicate pre-charged. And your price is correct also.
Thanks for the reply so I'm off to the dealer !
Sweet!!! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Batteries are funny overall - seemingly similar conditions i have seen them go in as short as 2 or 3 years, or well over 15.

Everyone has their own choice in brands - keeping in mind there are what, like 3 manufacturers out there making batteries these days. The walmart branded stuff on the low end is fine if you dont expect too much. AGM seems to be the way to go if you plan on keeping things more than a few years - it cost more up front, but changing batteries is not high on my list of favorite things to do as it seems they usually crap out the first good snow storm or at the worst possible time.

Agree, $98 is relatively cheap. Probably best to stick with the Deere labeled product than chance it on some off brand. Does Deere come with any sort of warranty? Almost anything I've seen in auto parts stores touting a longer warranty is just repackaged cheaper battery with a better warranty (of course they count on you never cashing in on that warranty when the time comes - and even if you do - they are still money ahead of the game when you cough up 50% more for the same battery as they would have sold you for less with a 12 month warranty).

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
Smalltown you got excellent life out of your original battery!:thumbup1gif: Mine crapped out after only 2 1/2 years! No slow cranking either. Just no crank at all!:banghead: Not sure if they had the wet charged in 2012. No (A) on the battery either. Same exact battery though. TY26498. I paid 112.00 for it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the new battery at the dealer ( did I mention how happy I am with my dealer ?). They tested the old battery just to be sure, and at first they thought it was ok then suddenly it went downhill. They asked if I was starting to have trouble with starting, and I responded just today.
They also put the new battery on the load tester.

All installed and the tractor starts great. Feels good no matter what Sundays storm brings that I am ready.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought my 2520 used 95 hours. It would not start at the dealer when I first looked at it. They jumped it ,said the battery was down from sitting. Got it home it sat for 2 weeks and would not start. I went to the dealer to pick up some manuals the salesman promised me told him about the battery. He gave me a new one. Great . Put it in about another 2 weeks or so no start again . Charge the battery start it and check the out put 12 volts. Great alternator problems. I start looking closely around the alternator and find a plug just hanging close to the back of the alternator. It and the recectiple it plugs into are very dirty blow them both of plug it in and get 14.5 volts on my meter..
Now i wonder if it's why the past owner got rid of it. It had to be unplugged from the factory .:bigthumb:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tugg good catch finding that disconncted plug. I was reading you post thinking here come a horror story. Instead a good outcome !

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
I bought my 2520 used 95 hours. It would not start at the dealer when I first looked at it. They jumped it ,said the battery was down from sitting. Got it home it sat for 2 weeks and would not start. I went to the dealer to pick up some manuals the salesman promised me told him about the battery. He gave me a new one. Great . Put it in about another 2 weeks or so no start again . Charge the battery start it and check the out put 12 volts. Great alternator problems. I start looking closely around the alternator and find a plug just hanging close to the back of the alternator. It and the recectiple it plugs into are very dirty blow them both of plug it in and get 14.5 volts on my meter..
Now i wonder if it's why the past owner got rid of it. It had to be unplugged from the factory .:bigthumb:
Interesting about that plug you found Tugg! Could you post a picture of it?

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
The white plug was not plugged in. From the condition of the plug I don't think it was ever plugged in.
Thanks for that Tugg! I'll have to check mine tomorrow. I'd like to know what that is for.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Picked up the new battery at the dealer ( did I mention how happy I am with my dealer ?). They tested the old battery just to be sure, and at first they thought it was ok then suddenly it went downhill. They asked if I was starting to have trouble with starting, and I responded just today.
They also put the new battery on the load tester.

All installed and the tractor starts great. Feels good no matter what Sundays storm brings that I am ready.
Do you use North Country Tractor ( Shaws Ridge) in Sanford?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I deal with Hall's in Windham. I have a dealer much closer that i tried initially to buy my tractor from. They were so over priced they quoted me above MSRP, and wanted 6 hours labor to install the mowing deck. Hall's is a 33 mile drive one way, but I gladly do it. They treat me very well there, and are extreemly friendly each time I walk through the door.
If I remember correctly when I purchased my tractor they were celebrating 50 years as A Deere dealer.

Reactions: glc and BigJim55
1 - 15 of 15 Posts