Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to this forum but from what I have seen I am going to enjoy it as well as pick up some excellent tips from the pro's on here.

Went out t o take my trusty 2520 out for a spin and accomplish some dirt moving that is way behind and she would not start, just clicks and nothing, had just used it a couple days before with no problems. Sounds like the battery has give up the ghost, but it is just over 2 yeas old with 77 hours. Tried to charge it with no luck, even the indicator lights are very dim until I put the charger on it but still will not start. So guess my question is this the norm for the OEM battery? And if so what is most folks using as a replacement, believe it is a 22NF and only one I can get tomorrow is an EXIDE from TSC, no one else has one in the area except the dealer which is 30 miles away.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
Administrator
22,268 Posts
:wgtt:

Some have had issues with the OEM batteries, others have had better luck. I would check the battery terminals for cleanliness and being snug. Once that's completed measure your voltage. A good battery will read about 12.5 or so.

FWIW, I'll be replacing mine when the time comes with a sealed AGM battery, an Optima if they make the right size.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Administrator
22,689 Posts
Sounds like a typical JD battery unfortunatly, that have a history of dying like that. I think mine is a Exide IIRC sealed battery.

:wgtt:

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
When you get it replaced, put a battery tender on it and it should last a good long time.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
:wgtt: papawjim

I just replaced mine last week. Battery was stamped Feb.'09. I didn't take delivery of my tractor until Jan.'10,so I got a little more than 2 years use out of it. Typical I guess. I tried to find something other than John Deere,but either the measurements,the hold down,or the CCA (cold cranking amps) weren't satisfactory.

Napa had the best one for physical size,and it had the proper hold down ears,but the CCA was lower. Being I'm in a cold weather climate,and my tractor is in an unheated barn,I didn't want to chance it. Optima makes one that's matches everything except the hold down ears.If I had the time,I think something could have been fabricated to work,but I needed a battery now. Bit the bullet and got another JD battery.:hide: Will I regret it! Only time will tell.
Price wasn't bad either compared to others.

Greg

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
When you get it replaced, put a battery tender on it and it should last a good long time.
I'm in a similar situation... no electricity in storage building. ;-(

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the info, checked the battery with a meter around +-11 volts, sounds like it is finished. Local john deere lawn and garden dealer dealer says he has an Interstate battery for the 2520 available for 63.95, and TSC has an Exide for 89.00, so does anyone have a preference assuming they are of equal to the OEM in amps.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks all for the info, checked the battery with a meter around +-11 volts, sounds like it is finished. Local john deere lawn and garden dealer dealer says he has an Interstate battery for the 2520 available for 63.95, and TSC has an Exide for 89.00, so does anyone have a preference assuming they are of equal to the OEM in amps.
As long as they are pretty much the same as OEM,whichever one has the better warranty!:)

Greg

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Northern Tool gets $99 for what appears to be the exact same thing...

BatteryMINDer 12 Volt Solar Charging System with 5 Watt Panel and Desulfator, Model# SCC005 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment

...I'll probably be looking for a couple of these in a month or two.

My original JD '04 GX335 battery is still going... Different class size, but JD just the same. Battery Minder in the "slower" months for the last 4 years.
EDIT: I've ALWAYS used distilled water in my batteries and I couldn't complain about but about 3 in the last 40 years. FWIW.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help guys, was able to check out the two recommended replacements (interstate and exide), both were only rated at 390 CCA. As the tractor is kept in an unheated barn and I don't have the time right now to research another option, I opted to get one from my JD dealer.

One surprise was that he says that is a 1year replacement and 2 year prorated so i got some back as it was a little over two years old.

Just didn't think the 390 CCA was enough, especially if we have a cold winter. Just need to convince the boss that the green machine needs its own heated space............Again thanks for the good info.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I would check my alternator output as well, just in case its not charging to spec. Start the engine, run at fast idle and you should read between 13.9 and 14.6 volts at the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked up the battery fro the dealer and installed and she fires right up, charging voltage is good also. Battery had a bad cell. Thanks for the information help.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Curious papawjim. Did the dealer want your old one for core exchange,and if so,did that knock $15.00 off the price and make it around $106.00 less tax?
That's what my dealer did.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They actually only charged me around 97.00 with tax out the door. They did not want the core, said they don't mess with the cores any longer, but there is a recycler 1 block from the dealer so dropped it off at the recycler and got 10.50 for it, thing weighed 35 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Inexpensive 2520 battery

The battery on my 2011 2520 just flat quit today, no warning. I understand this is fairly typical of the factory battery which is part number LVA15187. As you guys know, John Deere replacement is about $100, Tractor Supply $90, NAPA is $98. I did find an inexpensive made in USA replacement and thought I would post it up for the next guy that is looking. It's a Duracell battery (believe it or not) and it's from Batteries Plus (now called Batteries + Bulbs) part number Truck Pride 22NF. It is an EXACT fit replacement for the LVA15187 in my 2520 but it is only rated at 360 CCA. $59.99 and you get 10% off when you order online and pick up at your local store so about $54 bucks. My local store had it in stock, they have a $12 core charge.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/truck-pride/22nf

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
The original equipment JD Strongbox battery is rated at 500 CCA. I used a Walmart Everstart 51R replacement @ 500 CCA which fit the battery tray on my 3320 fine. The 51R doesn't have the hold-down ears on the bottom of the case so I had to fabricate a hold down bar. 5 year warranty with 3 year free replacement policy (Just hold on to your original receipt and paperwork). Think I paid around $100 for it but the 5 year warranty with 3 year free replacement makes it worthwhile.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Engine

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
my 2720 battery last only 2 years went to napa for new one it is over 3 years now should last over this winter
Seems 2 years is the lifespan of a large percentage of OEM batteries.
Going on 4 years since I replaced mine with another JD Strongbox. So far, so good.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The battery on my 2011 2520 just flat quit today, no warning. I understand this is fairly typical of the factory battery which is part number LVA15187. As you guys know, John Deere replacement is about $100, Tractor Supply $90, NAPA is $98. I did find an inexpensive made in USA replacement and thought I would post it up for the next guy that is looking. It's a Duracell battery (believe it or not) and it's from Batteries Plus (now called Batteries + Bulbs) part number Truck Pride 22NF. It is an EXACT fit replacement for the LVA15187 in my 2520 but it is only rated at 360 CCA. $59.99 and you get 10% off when you order online and pick up at your local store so about $54 bucks. My local store had it in stock, they have a $12 core charge.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/truck-pride/22nf
Although that is a really nice price, IMHO, it's not powerful enough. You got a decent amount of life out of your OEM battery. Personally, I'd opt to pay the extra and get another JD battery, or if possible do something like Superglidesport did. My .02.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.