Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the site. I am going to purchase a box scraper for my 2520. I would like to get the 60 inch so that it is wider than the tractor but I don't want to get it and the tractor won't handle it. The 48 inch is a nice size but a bit narrow.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Allgreen and WELCOME TO DT:good2:
Do you mean box blade? If that's the case,I just got a Woods 65" (GB65) and so far, my 2520 has handled it with no problems.

Greg

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Welcome to DT AllGreen:yahoo:

The 60" BB (Box Blade) should work great for your 2520. Erik just got a Frontier for his 4110 so hopefully he will chime in soon...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome Allgreen. As Kenny mentioned, I just got the Frontier BB2060 for my 4110 with turf tires and it handles the box blade very well. It can take a pretty good bite and keep on chugging. If I take too much, I just raise the 3 point a little and keep on going. Your 2520 is larger than my 4110, so you will be just fine with the 60". Definetly skip the 48". If your still worried about the 60", Landpride makes a 54" that will work for you also.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yup,

The 2520 has all the power you need to handle a 60" Box Blade. I have the Frontier model and love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I see frontier makes a 3pt hitch "land plane". Would this work better for maintaining a gravel driveway than a box blade? I've never ran either but would like something to reclaim my driveway from time to time after heavy rains wash out gravel and to take out small weeds instead of having to spray all the time. Would either of these tools even perform that function well?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Hi Jeffery,

First I'll tell you what I don't know. I have never used a Landplane so I really can not comment on experience here. I also have not used my boxblade in gravel, so nothing to tell here either.

I can speculate and hopefully someone with experience will jump in and correct all my mistakes. :mocking:

My guess would be the landplane would not be the proper tool for this job. It may work but, maybe not very well unless your gravel is not hard packed. I would think that with the rippers on the boxblade you would be able to loosen the gravel and then distribute it quite evenly. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to Deere Land!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 54" Land Pride; and I picked it up with my 2210 and never had a problem pulling a full load of gravel while maintaining the driveway, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about using a 60" with a 2520.....

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I would think that with the rippers on the boxblade you would be able to loosen the gravel and then distribute it quite evenly.
This statement is right on the money Randy!:thumbup1gif:
After doing our road for the first time with my new blade,I was totally impressed with the way it did just that.

Greg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe this question should be a new tread, not sure, here goes... How about rear blades on the 2520? Is anyone using a 72" rear blade to push snow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your tractor will handle any size Box Blade (BB), what changes is how fast you can work it. My 2305 pulls a 60" fine but I can load the tractor down if I pick up too much with it. So I have to work a little slower. The same can be said for any rear blade (as the poster above asked). You mentioned a land-plane. They work great but they ONLY can be used to level an area that is already level. With a BB you can cut a new drive out through the woods if you'd like.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I realize that this is not a Deere product, but how would something like this be trying to use it as a box blade? Since I've never ran either one of these tools, I'm curious what this Landpride tool wouldn't do that a regular box blade would? You had mentioned, only leveling an area that was already fairly level, but seems if you knocked down the high spots with the front end loader first, something like this may work better for a final finish? I'm guessing this tool will work for dirt as well (mabey).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had been looking at box blades as well. I just bought a BB2060 which seems to be a very well constructed unit. The info I wanted to pass along is that during the negotiating phase I was shown the dealer price list. Allegedly, the cost is $680. Folks may want to keep this in mind when dealing with a JD dealer.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The info I wanted to pass along is that during the negotiating phase I was shown the dealer price list. Allegedly, the cost is $680.
On a BB2060?? Geesh,they sell those for over $1,200.00 all day long.
I was quoted a price of $1,365.00 for a Woods GB65,so you know for certain a Frontier is at least that and a few dollars more.
Can't beat a 100% profit margin.

Greg

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I was looking at the Frontier landplane. It was about $1400. Worked with the dealer and ended up with this 7' landplane for $1K.

I already had a 6' box blade with rippers/scarifiers on it, so I didn't need rippers in a land plane. It might be nice, but if frugality dictates one or the other, I'd rather have the rippers on the box blade. If piggy bank size dictates a box blade or land plane (not both), and if I didn't have any big grading projects where I needed to move a lot of dirt, I'd go for the landplane with rippers. This thing is great for gravel driveways, and Much easier to use than a box blade in that application. You could still rip with the landplane and use the FEL to move dirt if you had to. Gets back to how much volume grading do you plan on doing. Note that for routine gravel driveway maintenance, you don't use the rippers.

What I gave up with this "cheapie" landplane is adjustable height of the cutting blades, adjustable angle, and the overall length is a bit short. Slightly angled blades tend to build up a crown (good for roads, not so good for lawns but you can make it work). People who have built their own (like Jenkinsph) build them longer which makes for a more level experience. He built his with non angled blades since he does more lawn prep work than gravel driveway maintenance. I've heard of some landplanes with a "tailgate" which would let you move some dirt around. If you can fabricate/weld stuff, you might be able to make a hinged on. I don't have a welder so that's not an option for me. Normally, the dirt/gravel just "flow" over the tops of the blades. So between the cutting action on the bottom of the blades, and the material flowing over the top, it's a leveling device not a moving device.

Finally, keep in mind that will all the 3PT dirt movers, a hydraulic top link (good) or Top 'n Tilt (best) make a world of difference. So (for example) if I had to choose between a "boxblade and landplane" vs. a "landplane with TnT", I'd take the landplane with TnT. The TnT cost about the same as an implement, but makes all these grading tools much more productive. The TnT lets me compensate for the fixed blade depth and angle.

As with many implement decisions, there is a tug of war between "now" and "5 years from now"...

So many implements, so little time and money :empathy:.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
On a BB2060?? Geesh,they sell those for over $1,200.00 all day long.
I was quoted a price of $1,365.00 for a Woods GB65,so you know for certain a Frontier is at least that and a few dollars more.
Can't beat a 100% profit margin.

Greg
I got mine last month from Greenline for $799.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I should have been more specific.Where I live (western Pa),they will sell for that much.
I ended up getting my Woods for 600.00 from a dealer in Michigan.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 54" Land Pride; and I picked it up with my 2210 and never had a problem pulling a full load of gravel while maintaining the driveway, so I probably wouldn't worry too much about using a 60" with a 2520.....
I believe that's the BB I may get but have been told by most not to go wider than 48". Is that the one that weighs in at just over 400 lbs? I have a 2305 and will probably add wheel spacers as I have a BH subframe. The 48" wouldn't quite cover my tracks with extensions. Don't know if that's a huge deal. I called my local dealer and they wanted $883 for a 48" Frontier! I don't care for them much, I may call another dealer down the road. I do have a Landpride dealer not to far away and said a 48" would run about $700. I don't have an iMatch yet, but may in the future so need to be compatible.

Anyway, do you think my 2305 will handle the heavy 400 lb. 54" Landpride? I will be using for light grading of existing clay type soil and moving a bunch of fill and top soil. No big bites. I am grading a ravine in the adjacent lot we bought for better drainage. I also have several areas that need to be re-graded throughout the yard. The only reason I resurrect this thread is this is the first post I have found that someone uses the 54" Landpride with a machine similar to mine. Any feedback would be great!

Regards,
Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts