Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My hold down strap on the air cleaner housing came off and got into the fan and took out my radiator. The dealer wants $480. They are about $370 online. There's nobody locally who rebuilds radiators anymore. Where is the best deal on a new radiator?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... $480 looks like it. That $370 price is going to be pretty hard to beat, that's a bigger discount than the places I know of.

I did find a place with a reconditioned one for $325.
https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/radiator-premium-used-john-deere-lvu803043-310101.html

I saw that one. It's "out of stock". In fact everybody is out of stock, and they are "obsolete"!

The dealer said there is only aftermarket, from a company that Deere owns, and I had to put down a deposit to even get in line for one. Total with tax is $503!!! They will let me know tomorrow of a delivery date. One would think as popular as these tractors are, the dealer would at least keep one on the shelf....

Thanks anyway

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts

I saw that one. It's "out of stock". In fact everybody is out of stock, and they are "obsolete"!

The dealer said there is only aftermarket, from a company that Deere owns, and I had to put down a deposit to even get in line for one. Total with tax is $503!!! They will let me know tomorrow of a delivery date. One would think as popular as these tractors are, the dealer would at least keep one on the shelf....

Thanks anyway
Obsolete? That's crazy. There are tractors twice as old that you can still get radiators for. I wonder if a 2720/2032R radiator would fit? The 2520 and 2720 are very similar tractors except for the engine. Although the price on a 2720/2032R radiator is $679.

Below are the parts illustrations for a 2520 and 2720 radiator. One reason the price is high is because as you see they don't sell the bare radiator, you have to get it with all the stuff in the #2 box.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,397 Posts
Greenpartsstore has it listed at 479.22, and if it was supposedly obsolete it would be stated so. Motorcity you have a very strange dealer giving you that kind of information!:unknown:

The 2720 rad at 679.03 might be a tad larger than the 2520. Either way, both rads are indeed very much still available and are genuine JD!:)

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Greenpartsstore has it listed at 479.22, and if it was supposedly obsolete it would be stated so. Motorcity you have a very strange dealer giving you that kind of information!:unknown:

The 2720 rad at 679.03 might be a tad larger than the 2520. Either way, both rads are indeed very much still available and are genuine JD!:)
JD Parts also makes no mention of it being an obsolete part. I would definitely make an effort to verify. There will be a lot of disappointed 2520 owners out there knowing that a broken radiator requires junking the tractor.

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
:hide: i have a broken one here at the house-radiator that is.:laugh:

·
Registered
729 Posts
You may want to get an estimate on repairs from a real radiator shop... Depending on how badly it's messed up...

I had a rock poke holes in 2 tubes of the radiator on my motorcycle. Kawasaki wanted over $900 for a new one. "Used", crappy looking ones on Ebay were over $300. I found a radiator repair shop that was capable of fixing aluminum radiators and they repaired the 2 pin hole, painted, and pressure tested my radiator for $80 total...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Obsolete? That's crazy. There are tractors twice as old that you can still get radiators for. I wonder if a 2720/2032R radiator would fit? The 2520 and 2720 are very similar tractors except for the engine. Although the price on a 2720/2032R radiator is $679.

Below are the parts illustrations for a 2520 and 2720 radiator. One reason the price is high is because as you see they don't sell the bare radiator, you have to get it with all the stuff in the #2 box.
Since I also have a 2520, I got curious about cross referencing. It appears the radiator for the 2720 and 2032 have the same part number; the 2320 and 2025 have the same part number, but the 2520 is different from either one. I didn't look any further, maybe check the generation earlier than the 2520 and see if they match. Otherwise, looks like we have a unicorn.

It's a shame they won't sell the radiator alone, without all the other stuff; and with the prices they charge, it should be an all-aluminum radiator, instead of having the plastic tanks. Those things get hard and crack after quite a few years, especially at the mouth to the cap and the hose fittings. The core might still be good, but they don't replace the tanks, so far as I know. I've had that issue with a couple of cars, ended up finding all-aluminum radiators to replace them, and since they were aftermarket, they wound up costing less than the plastic tanked ones. One car was a Toyota van, the other was a Miata. Too bad there isn't some sort of performance market for tractors, otherwise there would be half a dozen companies making these parts.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
As simple as the radiators are on these small tractors, how hard would it be to bolt in a generic replacement? It seems there are lots of small radiators sold for small race cars and off road equipment. Perhaps an aftermarket UTV radiator.

Beats junking the tractor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
We just had a radiator bust on our 2520 as well. John Deere originally said it was backordered, but did come in after about 2 weeks. We took the opportunity to capture the radiator swap on video!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts