Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Gang, I just can't bring myself to do it. I purchased a set of fender extensions and discovered that to mount them I had to drill holes in the sheet metal. I don't know what I was thinking. :unknown: I am finding that with my type of uses of my machine I really am not needing them. The only time is in the winter running up and down the roadway in high. And even then really not sure as to how effective they would be. Anyway, just for fun I though I would see what you guys think, let me have it.

Attachments

Reactions: FormulaB

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
I sure like the looks of them, and would like them for my 4110 (they are not offered though) But the hole drilling is bothersome. If you do it I would recomend maybe silcone to seal them up possibly?

Or, how about some 3M mounting tape like they use to hold trim on cars/trucks?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Lots of wheel exposed there, it looks like a good idea to me.

I'd put tape on, use silicone, and stainless hardware. Then if you just give a shot of Fluid Film every 3-4 months or after washing you'll be good to go.

Only down side I see is if you ever decide you don't like them or if they break and you can't get replacements, you've got a fender with holes in it and probably a color mis-match. Since you park indoors, that day should be a long time off.

Funny how tractors, like cars, have that transition point where you've got the 1st scratch and then it's "just a tractor".

Pete

·
Registered
75 Posts
Randy,

I don't blame you a bit. I'm probably too anal about it, but there is no way I would be drilling holes in my fenders to mount something those. Nomatter what you do, it's probably going to rust where the holes are drilled.

I don't even like the way the dealers are drilling holes in the floorboard to mount the hydraulic line standoffs on the new machines. Can't figure out why they're doing it either, unless they deleted the little tab that used to hang down from the support structure for the purpose.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Are the fenders plastic? If they are metal, I always put a dab of paint on the naked steel before I attach something. Sometimes I put a dab of machinist's bluing on first as it seems to penetrate the pores of the metal, and then I put on the dab of paint. Use SS fasteners.

How effective the flares are is anyone's guess.

Remember, it only hurts to drill the first hole, after that you are committed. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you should put them up for sale at a really good price. :good2:
I know I paid a good price for them. :laugh: Still sittin' on the fence on this one.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the fenders plastic?
Yes, they are metal.

If they are metal, I always put a dab of paint on the naked steel before I attach something. Sometimes I put a dab of machinist's bluing on first as it seems to penetrate the pores of the metal, and then I put on the dab of paint. Use SS fasteners.
Thanks for the tip.:good2: Never heard of using layout dye as primar though.

Remember, it only hurts to drill the first hole, after that you are committed. :lol:
How true. Probably why they have been in a drawer since I purchased them. Decisions, decisions. :think:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well Gang, I just can't bring myself to do it. I purchased a set of fender extensions and discovered that to mount them I had to drill holes in the sheet metal. I don't know what I was thinking. :unknown: I am finding that with my type of uses of my machine I really am not needing them. The only time is in the winter running up and down the roadway in high. And even then really not sure as to how effective they would be. Anyway, just for fun I though I would see what you guys think, let me have it.

Seriously, the extention look like an after thought and in no way match the tractor. Also if you have fender extension they ought to work, these still leave lots of tire exposed. I agree with trying the tape first before drilling holes and commiting to these. Aren't these fender extensions supposed to be mounted beneath the fender?

Slinging a little snow or mud with the tires is all part of tractoring. Have fun with it.:lol:

·
Registered
121 Posts
What bothers me wouldn't be the drilling for screws, its the fact that it looks like it covers some of the stickers.. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What bothers me wouldn't be the drilling for screws, its the fact that it looks like it covers some of the stickers.. :unknown:
The kit supplies new stickers. :good2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
The kit supplies new stickers. :good2:
In that case, I like em. Maybe try the 3m sticker route and give em a test drive for a few months. If you like em mount them with good looking bolts (you can even paint them green) and enjoy the tractor :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Go for it Randy. They look good on there. Like JD4300 stated,silicone where the fastener goes. I'd use some good looking 1/4" stainless carriage bolts too. Heck,maybe just lay the whole extension in a bead of silicone,so the muck can't work it's way between the extension and fender. Greg

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Thanks for the tip.:good2: Never heard of using layout dye as primar though.
How well the dye actually works is unknown; but I haven't seen any rust where I've used it. But Colorado is a dry climate and rust isn't as prevalent here as it is in other parts of the country.

I've also thought about buying the ''front fenders'' from JD, If they offer them for my 4300.
I've looked at the front fender kits at Deere Parts online, and I think they'll fit our 4200 - 4400 series rigs as they bolt to the axle. It appears Deere uses the same/similar Spicer axle in the 3x20 series as they do on our rigs.

The only thing keeping me from getting them is the cost as Deere is real proud of them.

I don't recall rear fender flares being made for the 4200 - 4400 series; but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Bill:

I found the fender parts breakdown on Deereparts.com, and as I recall it does show how the brackets connect to the axle. I seem to remember they just clamped on the axle housing.

The fenders do not follow the wheel when making a turn; but any fender is going to be better than no fender when it comes to keeping the slop off the operator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked at the extensions when I bought my 2520, and two things jumped out at me.....

1. They really aren't wide enough to do a lot of good.......a lot of the tire is still exposed.

2. In my opinion, they really do look like an "afterthought". Personally I don't like the look at all.

I wish JD had made the rear fenders a little wider (more practical) in the first place.

REV

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I'd bet the fenders were designed with R1 tires in mind, and the extensions are a way to compensate for the R4's wider width.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seen this thread and wanted to know if you put them on and if you like them. Did you paint them GREEN?
No, I haven't put them on, still laying in the drawer. I have convinced myself that I don't want to drill the holes, and that they really would not add that much more protection. I could make you a deal on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.