Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not believe the 2520 ever had glow plugs, just like their predecessors the 4115, always been direct injection....
This topic has come up in another thread and I thought I would start anew. I have yet to figure this one out. I have seen threads on other sites discuss it to no real conclusion. Maybe someone can help me out. To start with, there is major confusion in Deere's manuals, parts documentation, and equipment.

Let me start with the operator manual, it lists absolutely nothing in the manual about a heater, glow plug, or indicator light. Yet, the dash on my tractor has an indicator light. The parts manual lists a manifold heater for the international model only. Upon inspection my tractor does not yield any signs of said heater. But then again, according to the overhaul manual there is electrical diagrams showing a heater. Now for the real kicker, if I start the tractor while waiting for the indicator light to time out I certainly have a perceived notion that it does some good. I am extreamly confused.:unknown:

·
Registered
733 Posts
This topic has come up in another thread and I thought I would start anew. I have yet to figure this one out. I have seen threads on other sites discuss it to no real conclusion. Maybe someone can help me out. To start with, there is major confusion in Deere's manuals, parts documentation, and equipment.

Let me start with the operator manual, it lists absolutely nothing in the manual about a heater, glow plug, or indicator light. Yet, the dash on my tractor has an indicator light. The parts manual lists a manifold heater for the international model only. Upon inspection my tractor does not yield any signs of said heater. But then again, according to the overhaul manual there is electrical diagrams showing a heater. Now for the real kicker, if I start the tractor while waiting for the indicator light to time out I certainly have a perceived notion that it does some good. I am extreamly confused.:unknown:
BOTH!
Just took a look at JD Parts...

The 3TNV82A-BMJK engines use Glow Plugs
The 3TNV82A-MJK and -MKJE engines use Air Intake Heaters

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, I think this thing has been an evolution in the process. I also rechecked the parts catalog and found the glow plugs listed. I am pretty sure the earlier machines of this model are different. Item 34 in the picture provided. Now all I have to do is verify my machine, keeping in mind the difference between the glow plugs and the injectors.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,037 Posts
This is why I mentioned "early" 2520's in my post in Brian's 4110 GP thread. There is a serial number cutoff.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is why I mentioned "early" 2520's in my post in Brian's 4110 GP thread. There is a serial number cutoff.
Kenny, you are just to cagey. :lol: I completely missed the "early" part of that.

I did investigate and my machine looks like it has the glow plugs. Man, are those things small. It took some hard looking to see them. I was a bit concerened as my machine is an "08".:dance:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im sorry to add to the confusion here, my machine is a 2006 model and certainly no indicator lights on the dash, and no manifold heater to be found.
I know they have done some subtle changes over the years (like adding a 40 amp alternator, compared to 20 from old)...

The direct injection was a big selling push for cold starting applications - with no need to wait to heat the glow plugs (at least with earlier model and the 4115 not having them)....overall there is a quickness in starting with direct injection motors -from comparison between an older 4100 & 2320 to my direct injection 2520 and L39 kubota. I never have to pre-heat with the direct injected model and had to with the older glow plug system on the 4100 and 2320. However I was never complaining about waiting a few second either. They all ran really good in cold weather regardless....

Now is there a difference between traditonal glow plugs and manifold heaters?
comparing it to a 2320 which should be tradional glow plug setup.....interesting overall, and makes for easy confusion

·
Registered
24 Posts
Randy......I was the guy that started a thread on this subject on another board.

I have a 2010 - 2520 and as you state, it says nothing in the manual about that light on the dash. It doesn't show at all on the JD picture where it supposedly describes the lights and indicators on the dash.

I do have the light on mine as well, although it is obvious by some of the responses on the other thread, that there are a lot of others that do not have this light on their dash.

There is a lot of confusion on this light/no light thing, and the only conclusion I support is that as Spudland Dave indicates, somewhere along the line, JD made a change to the engine in the 2520 models, and didn't update the owners manuals to reflect the changes.

It sounds like your 2008 model is the same as mine, so it stands to reason the change was before that. Who knows, maybe it was a running change and they could be using different engines within the same model year.

I really think JD should provide an addendum to their operators manual. Unless a dealer specifically explains the starting procedure, how would anyone know to wait for the dash light to go out before cranking assuming of course they have the light. I also have an X495, and it's the same thing, wait for the light to go out and then fire it up.

I've tried my 2520 both ways, and it will start by just cranking on it, but it starts a lot faster if I wait for that light to go out. There was even a guy on that other thread that thought his 2520 started great until he tried waiting 15-20 seconds in the "on" detent and then cranking. He was quite startled by the improvement. I think he was one of those that had no light on his dash, and he found a noticeable improvement by waiting that 15-20 seconds.

I don't know, but wouldn't the pre-heater thing be the same? Meaning there should be a pause in the "on" position before cranking to allow the pre-heater to do it's job. If so, you would think all manuals would at least explain the need to pause in the "on" position for a few seconds, light or no light.

Sounds like waiting will save wear and tear on the old starter motor. JD should do something to correct this. I think there a lot of folks out there that don't know the proper starting procedure on this tractor.

REV

·
Registered
24 Posts
The direct injection was a big selling push for cold starting applications - with no need to wait to heat the glow plugs (at least with earlier model and the 4115 not having them)....overall there is a quickness in starting with direct injection motors -from comparison between an older 4100 & 2320 to my direct injection 2520 and L39 kubota. I never have to pre-heat with the direct injected model and had to with the older glow plug system on the 4100 and 2320. However I was never complaining about waiting a few second either. They all ran really good in cold weather regardless....
I don't find that my 2520 starts any faster with direct injection. I have an X495, and as long as I wait for the light to go out, bang, she starts right away. If anything I think the X495 might even start faster than the 2520.

REV

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm thinking the indirect injection engines use the manifold heater and direct injection engines use glow plugs.
JD owners manuals can completely confuse their customers though.:unknown:

IMO,while those heaters are a nice cold weather starting aid,nothing (besides a heated garage:D) can beat a block heater. 0 degrees and I don't have to wait a second. Fires up like it's 90 outside. No black or blue smoke and she is purring like a kitten from the get go!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm thinking the indirect injection engines use the manifold heater and direct injection engines use glow plugs.
TYPICALLY, IDI Diesels use Glowplugs and DI use the Air Intake Heaters...Thats always how I've heard & seen it...

IMO,while those heaters are a nice cold weather starting aid,nothing (besides a heated garage:D) can beat a block heater. 0 degrees and I don't have to wait a second. Fires up like it's 90 outside. No black or blue smoke and she is purring like a kitten from the get go!:thumbup1gif:

Greg
Amen to that....Plus the air blows hot in the cab that much sooner!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't find that my 2520 starts any faster with direct injection. I have an X495, and as long as I wait for the light to go out, bang, she starts right away. If anything I think the X495 might even start faster than the 2520.

REV
On mine its no wait at all, just turn the key and she fires instantly...no 8 to ten second wait....so by default it would be faster, since there is no wait for the plugs :) :fed:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of good info being shared, thanks guys. Here is more info to add to the confusion. JD's parts list clearly has both senarios. Here are the optional heaters and glow plugs. However, the heater shown is clearly listed for the european market. My feeling is if you have the indicator you have the glow plugs. I really had to look hard to find the glow plugs on my machine (harder than I thought).

The heater in the diagram is item 20.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Per...Spudland_Dave
The 3TNV82A-BMJK engines use Glow Plugs
The 3TNV82A-MJK and -MKJE engines use Air Intake Heaters

I suggest that 2520 owners actually go and verify the engine model number they have in their machine, and post on this thread the model year and serial# of your machine, the engine model number, and whether you have the infamous indicator light on your dash or not. Possibly this will tell us if the light being present has anything to do with the engine model number used.

If we get enough people to respond, it should give us an idea when and if there was a change in the engine being used in the 2520.

I found my engine model number on a plate on top of the motor itself.

Mine is:

Tractor model year 2010 - Factory ordered July 2010 - Del Date Sept. 1/2010
Serial #LV2520H607191
Engine Model 3TNV82A-BMJK
Yes.....I do have the indicator light

P.S...Randy....is the model year of the tractor incorporated into the serial number somewhere?

REV

·
Registered
733 Posts
However, the heater shown is clearly listed for the european
Where did you see that? The only heater I saw listed as special for European machines was the cab heater (euro land has a nice cab available for the 2520 http://www.deere.co.uk/en_GB/products/agriculture/compact_tractors/compact_tractors_ag.html)

revitupfaster said:
I found my engine model number on a plate on top of the motor itself.
Rev is right...these arent "Deere Specific" engines..so get the engine model & series to be sure.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
2520 model # LV2520H408344
Engine model # 3TNV82A-BMJK
I also have the indicator light.
Purchased in December 2009,but I think I actually have a late 2008 2520,not sure.

Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, that's two BMJK engines, both with the indicator light.

Come on gang.....post your info. Especially those with models that don't have the indicator light. I'm looking forward to see if there is a pattern that develops.

REV

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P.S...Randy....is the model year of the tractor incorporated into the serial number somewhere?

REV
Well, I am no expert or dealer, I would think we need a dealer to way in on this one. But, I would think that Deere has serial number/date built info.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where did you see that? The only heater I saw listed as special for European machines was the cab heater (euro land has a nice cab available for the 2520
I have the parts list on CD and IIRC it specifically listed it that way in the description.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If we get enough people to respond, it should give us an idea when and if there was a change in the engine being used in the 2520.
This is a really good idea I will have to get my serial number. I know I have the 3TNV82A-BMJK - 2008

1 - 20 of 38 Posts