Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the mfwd indicator light in the instrument panel not working? My 4wd works fine, I just figured out that I have a light that is supposed to come on...but doesn't!

Also, I have the turfs/r3 tires on my 2520....I noted rub marks on the loader brackets. Is this a common occurrence with the 2520s? I think they are rubbing when the wheels are turned to full lock...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Are you absolutely sure your MFWD is fully engaged. I have seen where the 4wd is lever is partially engaged and the light is not on, yet the all wheels are powered. If you are fully engaged you may have a bad bulb. There is a light for the 4wd and pto on the dash.

I have the R4s and yes, I get wheel rubs on the FEL stand in the full wheel lock positions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you absolutely sure your MFWD is fully engaged. I have seen where the 4wd is lever is partially engaged and the light is not on, yet the all wheels are powered. If you are fully engaged you may have a bad bulb. There is a light for the 4wd and pto on the dash.

I have the R4s and yes, I get wheel rubs on the FEL stand in the full wheel lock positions.
I figured as much on the rubbing on the FEL brackets/stands....I saw no adjustment/fix for it.

The fwd lever is all the way down and the wheels are engaged. I guess I will decide if I really need my light or not! It might depend on how much of a bear it is gonna be to get behind the instrument panel!

Thanks Randy!

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Included with the parts for adding the Front Hitch to the 2520 is a pair of shims which get bolted on to keep the front wheels from turning in too far. I have these shims on mine and my tires don't rub. Of course, on the downside, I lose a degree or two of turning radius. The shim plates are 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I'm sure they are easy enough to find on JDParts.

With regard to the indicator light, my old tractor never had an indicator light so my instinct is to look at the lever itself, not the indicator. In fact, I wouldn't even know if it were working or not. Moreover, I can generally tell whether I'm in 4WD or not just by the feel of the wheel. I recommend developing this "sense" to anyone and forget about the panel indicator. That's just one more moment where your eyes aren't on what is going on around you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Included with the parts for adding the Front Hitch to the 2520 is a pair of shims which get bolted on to keep the front wheels from turning in too far. I have these shims on mine and my tires don't rub. Of course, on the downside, I lose a degree or two of turning radius. The shim plates are 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I'm sure they are easy enough to find on JDParts.

With regard to the indicator light, my old tractor never had an indicator light so my instinct is to look at the lever itself, not the indicator. In fact, I wouldn't even know if it were working or not. Moreover, I can generally tell whether I'm in 4WD or not just by the feel of the wheel. I recommend developing this "sense" to anyone and forget about the panel indicator. That's just one more moment where your eyes aren't on what is going on around you.
I had a good feel for the 4wd and tractor in general...the 2210 also had that certain feel to the tractor when it was engaged in 4wd. I would just like to get everything on this 'new to me' 2520 up to par! :bye:

I'll take a look at JD Parts and see about locating those shims..thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
HELP! I was not successful in that "easy enough to find" search on JDParts. This is the first I have heard of this. Please, fill us in with the detail.

All maybe true, but I do like my idiot light. Just one more indicator of what is going on with the machine. Infact, I really miss it not being on my 2305. Now, that stupid PTO light can dissapear, that one just doesn't make any sense at all.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Silly me, I was looking under the loader stuff. Where do they get installed to limit steering motion?

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
It's to hard to explain, but if you look at your machine for the existing stops, it should become very obvious. They are on the AFT side of the front axle, directly below the tractor frame rails. I'll snap a picture of mine when I can. It's a 2 minute install. I think they go under two existing 10mm cap screws. Don't quote me on that. Its been a little while.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's to hard to explain, but if you look at your machine for the existing stops, it should become very obvious. They are on the AFT side of the front axle, directly below the tractor frame rails. I'll snap a picture of mine when I can. It's a 2 minute install. I think they go under two existing 10mm cap screws. Don't quote me on that. Its been a little while.
I'd like to see pix if you get a chance. I went through the online owners manual for the 200cx.....it doesnt have a dealer prep/install section, but no mention of the shims..big surprise! :lol:

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Luckily, I happened to have been reattaching my loader this eve and just by chance the gold glimmer of the shims caught my eye and I remembered to get a couple of pictures of the shims. As you can hopefully see, they actually reside just inside of the wheel rims. Still, they are a simple little contraption. It does look like the front wheels should come off to install, however.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll add my thanks too Chris! I do not have them shims....looks like another few bucks. I realize a few degrees is not a lot for steering, but I'd rather not have my tires rub at all.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Think nothing of it guys. I'm just glad to have a little nugget of info to share. That's what this whole forum movement is all about, eh?

Actually, I didn't want to complicate the discussion, but it would otherwise be a waste. I have a spare set of these shims doing nothing but taking up space on my workbench (long story). I could send both of them to one of you or one of them to each of you (tackleberry & randy). Then, you'd just have to buy one. I hope I'm not complicating matters...

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
WOW, what a swell guy. I will make it really easy. Tackleberry can claim them. I am not sure I would use them right now.

Chris, you provided some very good info. Thank you. :good2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW, what a swell guy. I will make it really easy. Tackleberry can claim them. I am not sure I would use them right now.

Chris, you provided some very good info. Thank you. :good2:
Wow! Good thing I came home early from work! Randy, you are quite the gentleman....I appreciate your courtesy....
Chris, I will IM you with my contact info as well as figuring out how to send you the $ to cover the shipping..it is the least I can do!

As an aside:

You guys will enjoy this....I had to move some stuff out of the garage into the pole barn after I came home. I had made the first trip and was pulling up, loader first to the garage. I noted that the garage seemed to be rattling (two car detached, metal framed, vinyl sided)....I thought 'what the hell...did I just hit the garage with the loader!?'

Nope..shut the 2520 down and felt the whole tractor moving...we were having an earthquake!!! The news is saying it was a 5.8-6.0.......pretty big for those of us here in Virginia!

Moral of the story is....at least I didn't hit the garage with the loader ! :lol:

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
Sold!...and shipped. Enjoy and please circle back once they are installed to let others know whether they solved the rubbing problem or not.

It sure seems strange that folks would have to buy add-on parts for their machines to get them working properly...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sold!...and shipped. Enjoy and please circle back once they are installed to let others know whether they solved the rubbing problem or not.

It sure seems strange that folks would have to buy add-on parts for their machines to get them working properly...
Awesome! Thanks Chris!

Stuff the dealers do (or don't do) never ceases to amaze me. Specifically like checking used machines over they are selling.
I found the following on my used 2520 immediately following it's delivery:
- leak at front mfwd seal
- two missing clips under tractor (one on the shaft for forward pedal, other on the floorboard attachment point)
- two nearly worn through pins on the mmm lift attachment
- out air filter element dated 2007...that was ridiculously filthy
- water separator with over an inch of water in it, along with a huge gob of goo at the bottom
(I mean come on...at least empty it before trying to sell it!)
- and now...no shims to keep the front tires from rubbing after the 200cx loader was attached.
(and the loader was BRAND NEW...on a tractor with 267 hrs on it...I take that to mean that the loader was
attached AFTER the tractor was traded in)

Don't get me wrong, my dealer experience this time went quite well, with the exception of having to wait an extra 3 days to get the tractor due to the mfwd leak, but I really thing they should take the time to go over ANY piece of machinery they sell.

In fairness, I have come across the same types of issues at two different dealers. When I bought my 2210 with a few hours on it, I found several small things that needed correction.

My wife was surprised I came home prior to the tractor being delivered with $200 worth of maintenance stuff (filters, oil, etc)......I told her I prefer to start fresh with a maintenance program so I know what has/has not been done.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Sounds like you are doing it right TB. Going over a used machine is just good sound maintenance. :thumbup1gif: I do this with all the stuff I buy used and even new (I check all the set-up). I guess I don't get dissappointed when a dealer doesn't do it because I am not expecting it. Now, I am not saying they shouldn't, I just don't expect it with any thing I buy. It is all in the buying decision at the beginning.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like you are doing it right TB. Going over a used machine is just good sound maintenance. :thumbup1gif: I do this with all the stuff I buy used and even new (I check all the set-up). I guess I don't get dissappointed when a dealer doesn't do it because I am not expecting it. Now, I am not saying they shouldn't, I just don't expect it with any thing I buy. It is all in the buying decision at the beginning.
I just don't see how they CAN'T do it as a matter of prinicple. Maybe that is the key factor. Again, I had a good experience with this dealer, even the sales manager took the time to look over the tractor with me, and didn't low ball me on my trade.

But.....for the silly high prices on most of the used JD equipment on a dealer's lot, they really should at least do a cursory exam of the machine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts