Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have sworn there was a thread here about someone having problems with their 2520 popping out of four wheel drive. I did a search, but nothing turned up. If such a thread does exist, please put this post in that thread, otherwise, I guess it stays here.

I have 38 hours on my 2520 and I have noticed over the past two or three hours that sometimes when I'm using the loader, I would swear I had the tractor in 4WD (such as going down hills) only to look at the dash and see no 4WD light. Today I finally decided I am NOT losing my mind, and I kept watching the dash when in 4WD to see if it was popping out, or I was going crazy. Sure enough I was on a level spot just at the bottom of a hill and as I was watching the dash (instead of where I was going) I saw the 4WD light go off. I looked at the 4WD lever, and it was all the way up in the 2WD position. I neither heard nor felt any weird clunks, clanks, or grinding. When I put the lever down to go into 4WD I have to push it down and I can feel it pop into gear, and when I take it out of 4WD I have to pull the lever up and feel it go out of gear.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

I do make frequent use of 4WD, but it isn't like I just leave it in 4WD all the time. I only use it when going down hills with a full FEL bucket, or when going up hills when mowing so I don't slip in the grass, or when going into a pile of dirt to scoop a load up. I only use my hand to operate the 4WD select lever, not my foot.

I guess I have to call the dealer Monday. Is there anything I can check myself? I really hate to be without the tractor for who knows how long while it goes back to the dealer. I have a ton of projects to do.

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
Reactions: andy b.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kenny! Yes, now that I read the thread, it was the link to TBN that had the info. Man, I hope the dealer doesn't have to rip my trans apart. I have to crawl under the tractor tomorrow and be sure there isn't anything stuck up in the linkage.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm also sorry to hear that Andy.
Evidently,there is still a problem with the 2520 in that respect.
I'm not sure if the OP of that thread ever got his 2520 fixed. I sent him an email.

Greg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have not taken my tractor back to get it fixed. They claim that they don't have to rip the tranny apart to fix it. Supposedly they only have to remove that lever with the balls? I just don't have all the confidence with my dealer to do the repairs... That is probably why I never took it back there... But yes that is when mine pops out of 4wd when I'm going down hill with a load in the bucket, I have called JD and they claim not to know anything about this problem???

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom,

That seems to be when mine does it as well, with a load in the bucket going down a hill or at the bottom of the hill. I have washer fluid in my rear tires, and my ballast box is filled with concrete bricks plus I have two 100 pound cast iron weights sitting on top of the ballast box. I would think I am good on the ballast end of things. It did seem like the one guy on TBN had some luck lowering his rear tire pressure. I thought 10 psi sounded pretty low, but tomorrow I'm going to try lowering mine to maybe 12 or so. I am at 24 psi right now. When the dealer dropped my tractor off it was at 12 psi, so maybe they knew what they were doing. They delivered it with the FEL attached and ballast box on the back, so it isn't like they didn't know I was going to be doing loader work with it.

I can definitely see where going down a hill with a full bucket in 4WD would put the most stress on the drive coupling, especially if the ratio of the front to rear axles really is 1.5:1. That seems pretty extreme. On modern 4WD trucks the ratio is almost 1:1, and even on older trucks it was still close to 1.1:1.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't say if this is the answer, or even if it is purely a coincidence, but I lowered my rear tire pressure to 12 psi today. I hauled a few loads of rocks down the hill that i have been hauling on, and one load was the heaviest load yet (I think the one rock weighed almost 800 pounds, plus I had more rocks in the bucket with it). At no time did my tractor pop out of 4WD. Is this the fix? I don't know, but for now it is working.

I was hesitant to lower the pressure that much, but like I said, it came from the dealer at 12 psi. I was also thinking about something. When the FEL bucket is loaded, that would be when you had the LEAST weight on the rear tires, so lowering the pressure should be fine. Another thing, my tractor didn't start popping out of gear until I added the fluid to the tires. Perhaps the added traction with the fluid was causing some binding in the system that was counteracted by lowering the tire pressure. I do know one thing, if the lower pressure is the cure to the problem, than it is yet another case where the manual is incorrect. The last thing you'd want to do with fluid and a FEL is run high pressure in the rear tires.

I won't get to haul more rocks until next Sunday, so I'll report back what happens. Oh, I'm up to 43 hours. Almost time for the 50 hour service!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't say if this is the answer, or even if it is purely a coincidence, but I lowered my rear tire pressure to 12 psi today. I hauled a few loads of rocks down the hill that i have been hauling on, and one load was the heaviest load yet (I think the one rock weighed almost 800 pounds, plus I had more rocks in the bucket with it). At no time did my tractor pop out of 4WD. Is this the fix? I don't know, but for now it is working.

I was hesitant to lower the pressure that much, but like I said, it came from the dealer at 12 psi. I was also thinking about something. When the FEL bucket is loaded, that would be when you had the LEAST weight on the rear tires, so lowering the pressure should be fine. Another thing, my tractor didn't start popping out of gear until I added the fluid to the tires. Perhaps the added traction with the fluid was causing some binding in the system that was counteracted by lowering th
e tire pressure. I do know one thing, if the lower pressure is the cure to the problem, than it is yet another case where the manual is incorrect. The last thing you'd want to do with fluid and a FEL is run high pressure in the rear tires.

I won't get to haul more rocks until next Sunday, so I'll report back what happens. Oh, I'm up to 43 hours. Almost time for the 50 hour service!!!!
How did the tire fix work out for you? I am thinking about taking mine to a different dealer to have them do the 4wd work. I am not a believer in just adjusting tire pressure for a fix. If I put 150# of air in each tire it shouldn't matter.... This is just a flaw by JD that needs to be fixed...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom,

I am still collecting data. :) I've ran the tractor for 10 hours since I lowered the rear tire pressure, and it has popped out of 4WD three times. One time I may have hit the lever with my foot, but I don't think so. The thing that gets me is when it pops out of 4WD, there is no noise or jerks or anything, the lever just pops back up as though I lifted it up by hand. I have observed this happening, and I am unable to cause the problem to happen at will. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. The problem is, now that it happens rather infrequently, it will be difficult for the dealer to see what happens. I'd rather if they didn't have the tractor driving around for 3 or 4 hours to try and duplicate the problem.

One thing I did notice is that if I put it in 4WD, and just leave it in while I am doing most of the work that involves going up and down hills for an hour, if it didn't pop out on the first hill, it seemed to stay in 4WD. I had a habit of shifting into 4WD when using the FEL to scoop up dirt, driving down a hill and dumping the load of dirt, then taking it out of 4WD while I drove around and back up the hill to get ready for the next load. I don't know if shifting in and out of 4WD 20 times in an hour is worse for the 4WD parts than just putting it in 4WD for an hour and driving up and down hills and on grass and dirt trails hauling dirt.

I guess one of my questions is, what is the method to use 4WD?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tom,

I am still collecting data. :) I've ran the tractor for 10 hours since I lowered the rear tire pressure, and it has popped out of 4WD three times. One time I may have hit the lever with my foot, but I don't think so. The thing that gets me is when it pops out of 4WD, there is no noise or jerks or anything, the lever just pops back up as though I lifted it up by hand. I have observed this happening, and I am unable to cause the problem to happen at will. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say. The problem is, now that it happens rather infrequently, it will be difficult for the dealer to see what happens. I'd rather if they didn't have the tractor driving around for 3 or 4 hours to try and duplicate the problem.

One thing I did notice is that if I put it in 4WD, and just leave it in while I am doing most of the work that involves
going up and down hills for an hour, if it didn't pop out on the first hill, it seemed to stay in 4WD. I had a habit of shifting into 4WD when using the FEL to scoop up dirt, driving down a hill and dumping the load of dirt, then taking it out of 4WD while I drove around and back up the hill to get ready for the next load. I don't know if shifting in and out of 4WD 20 times in an hour is worse for the 4WD parts than just putting it in 4WD for an hour and driving up and down hills and on grass and dirt trails hauling dirt.

I guess one of my questions is, what is the method to use 4WD?
The bottom line is there is a fault in their system that needs to be fixed and addressed... I hate to say it but it will probably come down to someone getting hurt or even killed... This should be a recall on john Deere's part...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called my dealer today and he said he is going to check for any "whatever you call the trouble reports in the Deere system I forgot the name of" (sorry, I don't remember what the system is called). I told him I don't really need the tractor for a week, so if he wanted to come and get it to check it over he could. I explained what is happening, and told him it isn't that much of a bother since it has only happened 3 times in the last 10 hours. I liked his reply, he said, "You just paid a lot of money for that tractor and it should never pop out of 4WD." :thumbup1gif:

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I called my dealer today and he said he is going to check for any "whatever you call the trouble reports in the Deere system I forgot the name of" (sorry, I don't remember what the system is called). I told him I don't really need the tractor for a week, so if he wanted to come and get it to check it over he could. I explained what is happening, and told him it isn't that much of a bother since it has only happened 3 times in the last 10 hours. I liked his reply, he said, "You just paid a lot of money for that tractor and it should never pop out of 4WD." :thumbup1gif:

We'll see what happens.
That's good! I hope you find out what's wrong with it so i know what to do with mine! :)

·
Registered
16,256 Posts

We'll see what happens.
Andy:
Your dealer's reply was just exactly what it should have been. He is a keeper. Not enough people have that attitude any longer.

What part of PA are you from?

Don

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don,

I'm over near Easton. There really is only one JD lawn and garden dealer in the area. I have always had excellent service from them. For me, the fact I can drive there in not much more time than it is taking me to type this reply is a HUGE positive. :) They are also a Stihl dealer (have been for as long as I've known them), so that is also a positive in my book.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
"whatever you call the trouble reports in the Deere system I forgot the name of"

Andy,they are called DTAC (Dealer Technical Assistance Center) Anything that is a customer problem goes through this support group. They provide technical assistance to the John Deere dealers when problems arise.

Greg

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I talked to the service guy again today and he said they didn't find anything in the DTAC list (he didn't call it that, because he probably figured I'd have no idea what he was talking about). The fact he didn't find anything tells me either he didn't look (which I doubt), or no one enters these problems into the system, or the system isn't working. There are several people who have had this issue, so I can't believe it isn't in the DTAC list unless the system isn't working. Perhaps someone with the Deere bigwigs ear should mention the issue and how no one seems to know about it at Deere, but several people online have had machines back to the dealer for it.

Anyway, my dealer is coming to pick up the tractor tomorrow. We'll see what they find. I am going to ask them specifically if they entered the issue into the DTAC system so it shows up if anyone else looks for it.

·
Registered
16,256 Posts
Don,

I'm over near Easton. There really is only one JD lawn and garden dealer in the area. I have always had excellent service from them. For me, the fact I can drive there in not much more time than it is taking me to type this reply is a HUGE positive. :) They are also a Stihl dealer (have been for as long as I've known them), so that is also a positive in my book.
I am a bit north of you in Susquehanna County, just below Binghamton, NY. My preference is a small, family owned dealer in Tunkhannock. The second generation owner and I used to drag race together. Now, we pretty much just drag.

Don

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don,

That's about how the dealer near me is, small family-owned, second generation, one dealership (not a chain). They hauled the tractor off Friday morning, so hopefully they get a chance to look at it early in the week.

·
Registered
16,256 Posts
Andy:

I am interested to find out what the problem is with yours. I used 4WD in a few spots cutting grasss, but so far with no problem.

Don

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.