Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever seen a shorter roll bar on a 2520. I Store my 2520 in a small garage and won't fit with rops in the up position and constantly hit my head when in down position. I removed the top section but it just looks unfinished without it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
One of my projects in the near future is modifying mine. Since I don't want to mess up any resellability (<-- is that even a word), I'm going to make a new upper section.It will be a fixed rops with canopy and lights....probably about 5" shorter.

·
Administrator
22,655 Posts
There is no shorter one available. It is that tall because with the optional backhoe you would need the head room. Modifying the ROPS can be risky business, but I am not the safety police! I drilled holes in mine to mount lights...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took the hinged top half off and made another top half that's inserted into it, using 2'' tube steel and a piece of 1''-1/2'' to connect them together and drilled and bolted them together. I have a curtis cab on my tractor so I made it so it sits just a little below the cab. I didn't want to modify the original just in case I was ever going to sell the tractor. There is a picture of it in the tractor gallery section.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
and constantly hit my head when in down position.
OK, you are not going to get off that easy. This certainly needs explaining.

As usual, Kenny is right. The height is only needed for the backhoe option. But I too, do not like the added height, it makes for a high mounted umbrella.:thumbsdown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
OK, you are not going to get off that easy. This certainly needs explaining.
I too have the same problem with hitting my head with the ROPS down, but I am going to let Allgreen explain it...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
I took the hinged top half off and made another top half that's inserted into it, using 2'' tube steel and a piece of 1''-1/2'' to connect them together and drilled and bolted them together. I have a curtis cab on my tractor so I made it so it sits just a little below the cab. I didn't want to modify the original just in case I was ever going to sell the tractor. There is a picture of it in the tractor gallery section.
I was going to do this also but haven't yet. I shall take a look at your pictures if I can find them.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
There is no shorter one available. It is that tall because with the optional backhoe you would need the head room. Modifying the ROPS can be risky business, but I am not the safety police! I drilled holes in mine to mount lights...
Ken, Not sure this is the case with these newer ROPS as the top is more forward than the older units. My JD650 had a shorter straight up ROPS and I hit my head on it numerous times while getting in and out of the BH seat. The top half of the new ROPS goes forward by a rather large amount. My BH is on the tractor and I will check that out tonight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To explain the head hitting part. When folded down and hooking up pto impliments I never fail to stand up and forget that the rops is down. I have seen stars to many times.

·
Artillian Tractor, LLC
1,541 Posts
If it helps, here's what it looks like when someone 6' tall is using the backhoe on the 2520. If you look closely, I'm perched atop the seat back of the backhoe seat so I'm a little higher up than some might be. That's the way I have to use this 46 backhoe. It's pretty cramped for me. But thankfully, I haven't rang my gong on the ROPS bar yet.

Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Soil Tree

Oh, I don't know how many times I've whammed my elbow against the rear work light. Right in the tingly nerve spot too (funny bone??). Aaargh.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
To explain the head hitting part. When folded down and hooking up pto impliments I never fail to stand up and forget that the rops is down. I have seen stars to many times.
That would be it!
Want to try something really cool? Go to attach the BH with the ROPS down or Vice versa.

·
Registered
166 Posts
1026R has same problem

:

Glad to hear this is not just me.. having the same problem on my new 1026R... ROP is way to tall... can't get into my 4-panel garage (one end of it has 4-panel door), and in the way when folded down... yes, stars too many times!! Did put some red and white reflective tape right at the joint... at least I see it more easily. Also, really wonder if it would really be as effective in a flip-over... want it about 6" shorter/lower.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That would be it!
Want to try something really cool? Go to attach the BH with the ROPS down or Vice versa.
I have to do that since my backhoe is stored in my garage and the ROPS won't clear if it's up. I pull the pins out and stick a piece of 2x4 in the joint while attaching the hoe, then raise it when I'm back out of the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am planning to build a 6 car garage next year, a 3 over and 3 under. The bottom level will be facing out into the woods and will be for the tractor and maybe a hobby car. I am definitely going to put in 10 foot wide doors that are 9 feet tall. I don't want any problems with the ROPS.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,424 Posts
I have to do that since my backhoe is stored in my garage and the ROPS won't clear if it's up. I pull the pins out and stick a piece of 2x4 in the joint while attaching the hoe, then raise it when I'm back out of the garage.
Before I had the new building I would lower the ROPS back the tractor under the lean-to, raise the ROPS, as the ROPS would fit once under the lean-to. Remove the BH then lower the ROPS again to get the tractor out from under the lean-to. I usually lowered the ROPS AFTER I forgot to and hit the underside of the lean-to:banghead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.