Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Toolbox on my 2520 a while back and am just now getting around to get a photo of it. It is in about the perfect place for me, as I also put my hand on it when I dismount from the tractor. I always like the toolboxes from the Deere Ag Equipment and was hellbent on getting one attached this little rascal. This box fits the 4240, 4430, 4440 etc. Its expensive, but well worth it. By the way, the toolbox will open up all the way without hitting the brush guard on the amber light.

Green Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Very cool tool box and fits better on the tractor than I would have envisioned from reading about it without a photo. It's FAR better than the plastic crap held on by a rubber strap that was made for my 3520.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
did you make the bracket? And do you have part numbers by chance? This looks great, i'd like to do something similar.

Sent from my samsung-sm-g890a using tapatalk
x 2 ^^^^

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Sweet Tool Box

That is an awesome setup. I just ordered one of these to mount on my new 2038R.

Those of you interested in getting one of these boxes can just click on the following link... John Deere Tools and Toolboxes

Thanks for sharing.

:yahoo:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you make the bracket? And do you have part numbers by chance? This looks great, I'd like to do something similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I did make the bracket out of scrap metal I had. This weekend I will remove the tool box and snap some photos for you. I work (5) 12hr shift work per week and it is pretty dark when I get home, so the photos will have to wait. I kind of wanted to use the JD bracket, but heck, it costs more than the tool box does. I just couldn't bring myself to purchase it. I am so greatful of HomesteadJoe for providing a link to the toolbox and etc. I never have seen the webpage that has Deere's tools on it. It's pretty cool to look at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did make the bracket out of scrap metal I had. This weekend I will remove the tool box and snap some photos for you. I work (5) 12hr shift work per week and it is pretty dark when I get home, so the photos will have to wait. I kind of wanted to use the JD bracket, but heck, it costs more than the tool box does. I just couldn't bring myself to purchase it. I am so greatful of HomesteadJoe for providing a link to the toolbox and etc. I never have seen the webpage that has Deere's tools on it. It's pretty cool to look at.
Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing how the bracket is set up. I hear you on the long shifts. I work a morning part time job and a second shift full time job. Gotta make hay when the sun shines, they say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I thought I had something no one else had on mounting a toolbox, but while searching for my post, I discovered that "rgd" had done basically the same thing a few years ago. So I guess the credit must go to him as far as being the first to mount it above the fender.

Anyway, today is Saturday & raining, and here are some photos of the mount. The metal is fairly thick and that is good. The toolbox does not vibrate or flex at all, especially when I put my hand on it when I dismount. I just drilled (4) 5/16" holes through the bottom of the box and bracket in order to secure the box. Make sure you drop the metal for the box down a bit, as the toolbox lid might not clear the light brush guard. I have welded a metal spacer in there. Just look at the photos and let me know if what I say is not clear enough. I sometimes don't explain myself very well at times.

Here is the part number of the tool box: Part Number:RE275591

Green

Vehicle Technology Automotive exterior Auto part

Technology Machine

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If I saw it right, the mounting bracket costs more than the tool box!?:unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If I saw it right, the mounting bracket costs more than the tool box!?:unknown:
Sadly.....yes..... :banghead:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seen that too. :unknown: added web site to my favorites. :)

Yes, it does cost more $, that is the reason I bolted it to the bracket on the bottom of the box. I just couldn't justify buying the bracket right now, but would like to see someone buy one and show us the mounting with it.

I just got done adding a water temp. and oil psi gauge in the dash today. I changed oil while I was at it, even with the light mist at times, I had a good day with my mechanical friend.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Yes, it does cost more $, that is the reason I bolted it to the bracket on the bottom of the box. I just couldn't justify buying the bracket right now, but would like to see someone buy one and show us the mounting with it.

I just got done adding a water temp. and oil psi gauge in the dash today. I changed oil while I was at it, even with the light mist at times, I had a good day with my mechanical friend.
Pics?? please?? did you use the same hole for your temp sensor as the idiot light sender uses?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pics?? please?? did you use the same hole for your temp sensor as the idiot light sender uses?
I'll get some pics in a few hours, I just got up out of bed. Off from work today.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some pictures of the water and oil psi. on the the oil psi, I just used an adapter that I had, threaded in a 1/8 x 2.5" pipe nipple, screwed on a 1/8" tee and then screwed in the oil psi switch and the 1/8" tubing connector for the oil psi gauge. I used a mechanical gauge because that is what I had lying around. I did not have a metric adapter to use on the oil psi switch, in order to screw into the tee, but I doped and teflon tapped it and it tightened down nicely. If anyone knows what the oil psi switch thread size is or is able to find out, please forward what it is. I took my switch to NAPA and the guy checked it with a thread checker and said it is a 10mm x 1.00 thread. I purchased a 10mm x 1.00 die, but then I realized after I got it, it was not a pipe thread die, it was for bolts. I did chase the threads on a 1/8" pipe nipple with the die I bought and it got pretty stiff after I ran it in the engine block after about 1 round of turning it. I removed it and used a brass adapter and then screwed the 1/8" nipple into it. I would like to plumb it up perfectly, but I did what I had to, to get running again. I have put around 10 hrs on it since then, inspected everything, no leaks and everything is still tight.

There are a few other real nice threads out there on how to install the gauges and to take the dash apart.

My oil psi runs around 60psi WOT and about 40-42psi when fully warmed up at idle. I am using Plus 50 II 15w-40 oil, but thinking of switching to 10w-30. Using a lighter weight oil will lower psi readings a little.

Oil psi switch and gauge. The gauge sense line(tubing), is threaded into the bottom of the tee and oil switch is threaded into the top of the tee. I had to leave the switch off until I had everything screwed into the block because I could not rotate everything, (not enough room to rotate).
Auto part

Water temperature sensor, have to remove plug out of block. My sensor threaded in nicely, don't know thread size, but what I had was the same as the plug that came out of block.
Auto part Machine tool Vehicle brake Machine Wheel

All back together and running.
Vehicle Steering part Auto part Motor vehicle Car

I am open to suggestions on how to do it better. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

Reactions: ky_shawn and rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
My oil psi runs around 60psi WOT and about 40-42psi when fully warmed up at idle. I am using Plus 50 II 15w-40 oil, but thinking of switching to 10w-30. Using a lighter weight oil will lower psi readings a little.

In my 400 I run 30 weight but in the winter I use 5w30. I have a mechanical gauge added to this at an idle it always holds about five more pounds pressure on the thinner oil which never made sense to me but it does.

Reactions: rtgt and raco232

·
Registered
28,180 Posts
I know this is off topic - but for those interested in the temp gauge -

I bought this unit - and it does come with the sensor -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YVWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with that I bought this bushing kit to get the correct size bushing for the sensor -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKM4PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was quite straight forward. This has to be one of my best mods. Shame on Deere for not having a coolant temp gauge on these tractors!

A thread with some helpful links:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ility-tractors-mcut/3637-2520-temp-guage.html

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this is off topic - but for those interested in the temp gauge -

I bought this unit - and it does come with the sensor -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YVWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with that I bought this bushing kit to get the correct size bushing for the sensor -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKM4PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The install was quite straight forward. This has to be one of my best mods. Shame on Deere for not having a coolant temp gauge on these tractors!

A thread with some helpful links:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...ility-tractors-mcut/3637-2520-temp-guage.html

Thank You, Coaltrain, for the added help on the links. It is nice to have others post useful info for members to see, even if it has been posted before. I just didn't take the extra effort to put the links in, I just had a lazy moment!

·
Registered
61 Posts
THE GAUGES LOOK GREAT:bigthumb: THANKS FOR THE INFO

Reactions: HomesteadJoe
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.