Old tractor:
2210, 210 FEL, 54C deck
r3 tires, rears filled
305 hrs

New (to me) tractor:
2520, 200cx FEL, 62D deck
r3 tires, rears filled
267 hrs

I had owned the 2210 for about 3 years, and started getting a hankering for something a little bigger. We have had some significant snowfall, and while the 2210 with turfs did remarkably well, I saw room for improvement in the weight and ground clearance areas. That, and of course, a bigger tractor has go to be better, right? :laugh:

I traded my trusty 2210 in on a 2520 this past Friday. I took delivery of it today, and these are my first impressions of the differences between
the two:

Noise: One of the biggest differences was how loud the 2520 seems to me. Especially with the MMM engaged. I could get away without hearing
protection while mowing on the 2210, that is not gonna happen on the 2520.

Trans: I did most of my running around/mowing with the 2210 in high gear. It seems like on the 2520 low is going to be the way to go for me most of
the time. The high gear was too high for mowing in, and quite frankly, I like to take my time while mowing, or even just putzing around on the
tractor...it's my 'me' time out of the house.

Loader: The 200cx loader is ridiculously easy to remove and attach. I thought that the 210 loader was easy, but wow...the 200cx has it beat hands
down. The only complaint I have is that it appears that the tires can rub the mount points on the 2520 at times....I'm not sure if this is only
with the turf tires or not.

MMM: The drive over feature is really nice. Even though the 54c deck on the 2210 was not excessively heavy, it was still a bit of a bear to drag out
under the 2210. The stow and go feature on the 2520 is really handy. I'm still deciding on where I like my cut height on the 2520...the
deck height knob on the 2210 was handy, and it will take some getting used to not having it on the 2520. While the 54c was pretty easy to
attach/detach, the 62d has it beat hands down.

ETA: To anyone purchasing a used tractor...don't rely on the dealer to service it....at all. This 2520 had an air filter in it dated from 2007 (in white marker. The water separator had about 3/4 of an inch of goo under almost an 1 1/2 of water. The trans/hydraulic fluid looks ok, but it's getting changed this weekend, as well as the oil. The coolant looked clean/ok. While doing a familiarization of the machine, and crawling underneath it I found one cotter pin missing and several looking like they were on their last legs. I have noted elsewhere on the site that prior to my purchase of the 2520 I noted a leak from the front mfwd....something I caught on checking the tractor out, but the dealer didn't. Even a cursory examination of the tractor would have found it.

Overall, the 2520 feels a lot more solid than my 2210. The 2210 was solid machine, but I found myself trying to do things with it that really were suited to a heavy, bigger tractor. The 2520 seems like it is going to meet and probably exceed my needs! I'll add more observations as I run across them. This board helped me when deciding what tractor to get, so hopefully my notes can help someone else decide what they need!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 2210 in '04 I think and put about 1000 hours on it with the 62D mower deck, 200CX loader, bar tires, and a few other odds and end and took delivery of my 2520 at the first of the month (2520, 72" MMM, 200CX). I like sitting higher, and I like the view. I haven't noticed noise to be an issue to me.

I don't like on the 2520 it seems a lot more crowded even with the seat all the way back and I keep banging my shoes into everything and usually end up with 4WD on everytime I get off the tractor. Also I had become quite used to pulling people out of the mud and snow with my 2210. Clearly the 2520 is not going to do this with the industrial tires...heck it will even loose traction on a small hill with wet grass....

Sometimes I debate if I made a good decision, but I will enjoy having three years of warranty...something that was long gone on the 2210...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice review tackleberry! I'm sure it will treat you well.

On the deck adjustment, they do make and independent lift kit that puts a height control knob on the left fender, right by the seat.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice review tackleberry! I'm sure it will treat you well.

On the deck adjustment, they do make and independent lift kit that puts a height control knob on the left fender, right by the seat.
I noted that..but if I recall correctly Deere is pretty proud of it price wise. I'm gonna give it a bit and see how the current setup works for me.
I did note that the previous owner has bolted a pair of short chains on either side of the tractor in the rear, apparently to hold the draft arms in the up position. I'll try and post pix tonight, I'm guessing it was his idea of a locking mechanism for the arms when the deck is not in use.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Very nice writep-up TB. You are wise to go over the whole machine yourself no matter if the dealer did or not, in this case it sounds as though he didn't. This way you know where you are starting from. You are really going to love this machine. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I noted that..but if I recall correctly Deere is pretty proud of it price wise. I'm gonna give it a bit and see how the current setup works for me.
I did note that the previous owner has bolted a pair of short chains on either side of the tractor in the rear, apparently to hold the draft arms in the up position. I'll try and post pix tonight, I'm guessing it was his idea of a locking mechanism for the arms when the deck is not in use.
That might be a John Deere setup also. I believe their were several ways to go about it. What you are describing sounds like the setup on my 4110.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
JD sold/sells a "deck lock-up kit" that has the two chains you mentioned, and some have made their own kits as well. There is some discussion in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...Series-MMM-Independent-Lifts&highlight=lockup

I use my lock-up kit a little differently: I use it to set the mowing height at 3.5" so need not worry about moving the rockshaft lever (3PH control) to far down and scalping the grass. To hold the arms up if I take the MMM off I just use cable/zip ties.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JD sold/sells a "deck lock-up kit" that has the two chains you mentioned, and some have made their own kits as well. There is some discussion in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...Series-MMM-Independent-Lifts&highlight=lockup

I use my lock-up kit a little differently: I use it to set the mowing height at 3.5" so need not worry about moving the rockshaft lever (3PH control) to far down and scalping the grass. To hold the arms up if I take the MMM off I just use cable/zip ties.
Ahhh...now this is something I hadn't thought of. I have seen folks talking about the zip tie route for the arms.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wanted to edit my original post, but the 'edit' tab was gone!

Mowed with the 2520 tonight for the first time. My only real 'dislike' was the deck wheels....I have the older, squared off style....I managed to only gouge my lawn once. I will be replacing them with the newer style in the near future.

The deck really cut through tall, heavy grass with ease without bogging down. I was really impressed with the turning radius of the tractor. I was still able to get around the obstructions/trees in my yard without any great hassle. I did have to pay a little more attention to low tree limbs.

The ride was a little stiffer than I recall on the 2210, but being heavier I wasn't really surprised nor concerned with that. I mow slow anyhow.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Wanted to edit my original post, but the 'edit' tab was gone!
There is a 12 hour timer on that, but any Mod or Admin can do it for you in the future.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a 12 hour timer on that, but any Mod or Admin can do it for you in the future.
No big deal...just didn't want to bump the thread willy nilly...but did want to add additonal observations to the post. Like I said earlier, this site helped me when was deciding on my next tractor....hopefully it might help someone else. The more info the better!

·
Registered
20 Posts
taklberry I have the old deck and had to change the wheels and drill and install grease zerk on the front.

You need John Deer Gauge Wheel-No grease zerk AM136720. (4) Tap the hole and insert a grease zerk in the wheel (hole already there) and you are good to go. Try http://www.greenpartstore.com/ I found them cheaper than my dealer. Don't forget to drill and tap the front casing for the front wheels. I haven't tore up the yard since.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
taklberry I have the old deck and had to change the wheels and drill and install grease zerk on the front.

You need John Deer Gauge Wheel-No grease zerk AM136720. (4) Tap the hole and insert a grease zerk in the wheel (hole already there) and you are good to go. Try http://www.greenpartstore.com/ I found them cheaper than my dealer. Don't forget to drill and tap the front casing for the front wheels. I haven't tore up the yard since.
Thanks for the heads up on the wheel @greenpartstore. If I am reading the photo/diagram right on jdparts, it looks like you only have to replace the wheel itself...the bushings and washers look to be the same. rriley, can you recall what size tap you used for the grease zerk?

That's one thing I don't have...a good tap/die set....maybe this will give me an excuse to buy one!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The replacement wheels come with new roller bearings and washers. I have to go to the garage and find the zerks and get back to yo on that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
taklberry her is what I used 1/4 x 28 x23/32 zerts Tap is 1/4-28 NF and use a 7/32 drill bit. Remember when you install the wheels to put the zert outside. this picture shows the one I messed up but shows both zertz for a front wheel. I hope this helps. I got these at a quality Auto parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
taklberry her is what I used 1/4 x 28 x23/32 zerts Tap is 1/4-28 NF and use a 7/32 drill bit. Remember when you install the wheels to put the zert outside. this picture shows the one I messed up but shows both zertz for a front wheel. I hope this helps. I got these at a quality Auto parts store.
Perfect! Thanks! I looked at the grease zerks today at the tractor supply store.....I will probably order those wheels this weekend. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't like on the 2520 it seems a lot more crowded even with the seat all the way back and I keep banging my shoes into everything and usually end up with 4WD on everytime I get off the tractor.
I previously posted on another thread that a simple fix for the "feeling crowded" issue, is to cut the first ring off rubber bumper under the seat. As I said before, I read this tip on another forum, and had my dealer cut it off even before I took delivery.

When I first sat on a 2520, I felt so cramped, I wouldn't have bought one unless that issue was fixed. My dealer assured me they would find a way, even if they had to modify the seat bracket somehow, but the simple removal of the first ring on the seat rubber did the trick. Believe me it make a huge difference. It lets the seat tilt back a little more, and this makes all the difference. Sort of like tilting the power seat in a car, raise the front of the seat cushion, or lower the back and your legs have a lot more room.

Give it a try, I was amazed, it felt like a whole different machine. Even my dealer was shocked at how much of a difference it made.

REV

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice review

Tackleberry

I'm with you on your observations. Cut my teeth on the 2210 too with 500 hours before the upgrade and I would agree it was quieter than my 2720 too. The 2720 just sounds like a big diesel even at idle while the 2210 doesn't.

2210 had some nice features for sure but I'm glad I upgraded...and I'm sure you are too;)

Joe

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tackleberry

I'm with you on your observations. Cut my teeth on the 2210 too with 500 hours before the upgrade and I would agree it was quieter than my 2720 too. The 2720 just sounds like a big diesel even at idle while the 2210 doesn't.

2210 had some nice features for sure but I'm glad I upgraded...and I'm sure you are too;)

Joe
Thanks Joe.

After spending a little more time on the 2520 I think that it really is the mower which is markedly louder than the 2210....but it cuts really well. I do like the sound of the 2520 as it is idling!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts