Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I lost one of the cotter pins holding the bar that sits between the two arms (arrow), and mangled it like a wet noodle. Yesterday I installed the new bar, new cotter pins with 4 washers getting things ready to mount the mower deck today.

Today on the lawn I wrestled with the deck, but got it connected. I pulled back into the garage to see if I needed to level it. I noticed that I had already lost a new cotter pin and washer without even starting the mower.

In order to get the outside washer and cotter pin installed I had to squeeze the arms together with a bar clamp then installed the washer and changed from a regular to a hairpin cotter for strength. I backed out of the garage and heard a bang. I stopped and saw that the other outside cotter had broken, and the hair pin cotter was nowhere to be found, and the bar just hanging down.

There is just to much force pulling the two arms apart, and putting way to much pressure on the cotter pins, and I don't know why.
Could anybody with a 2520 and 62D deck just reach down and see if your "bar" is under similar pressure or is it "loosey goosey" as I'm thinking it should be ?

Had to stop and give myself a break for the evening only to do battle tomorrow. I must have assembled something back assward, but haven't figured it out yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
You must have either or both the arms #10 & #20 backwards. The inset on the rear end of those arms needs to be inward like shown in the diagram.

When they are installed properly the whole setup is actually loose.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply coaltrain. Nope the arms are orientated correctly. I checked hoping you were onto something. They looked ok.
I just removed the lift linkage with the mower under the tractor thinking maybe I might have bent one of the big arms last fall.
They are quite stout I can't imagine bending them, but I checked anyway and they appear to be ok.
Last evening my Nephew "straightened" the original rod with a 100 ton press just in case I was sold an incorrect rod length. The old and new rod are identical both length and drilled holes.

Going to reassemble and try again. :flag_of_truce:
I know it's going to be something stupid on my part when I finally figure it out. Meantime I can hear the grass growing !

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Thanks for the reply coaltrain. Nope the arms are orientated correctly. I checked hoping you were onto something. They looked ok.
I just removed the lift linkage with the mower under the tractor thinking maybe I might have bent one of the big arms last fall.
They are quite stout I can't imagine bending them, but I checked anyway and they appear to be ok.
Last evening my Nephew "straightened" the original rod with a 100 ton press just in case I was sold an incorrect rod length. The old and new rod are identical both length and drilled holes.

Going to reassemble and try again. :flag_of_truce:
I know it's going to be something stupid on my part when I finally figure it out. Meantime I can hear the grass growing !
Yeah - something just isn’t right.

When I assemble mine on the floor everything is super loose. In fact I remove it as a unit each fall before plowing season. When I install it again in the spring I first put the front end on then connect the rear.

Which gives me a thought. On the rear - the units that ride on the 3 point hitch arms - are they orientated correctly? Don’t know for sure if they can even be installed backwards or not....

I’ll go down to my tractor and take a pic right now.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Pic of rear lift mechanism - see if yours is the same.

FCFFDA36-6DF0-4381-82FA-7F945985E86D.jpeg

Reactions: glc

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the photo.
Yes mine were installed like that before I took off the adjustable arms as I pulled the linkage out.
I started the reinstall by attaching the big arms, and then slide in the "bar" with washers, and placed the biggest cotter pins that would fit.
The bar is loose like we thought it should be. The rear adjustable linkage will be installed after I take the wife to an appointment.
I don't imagine the rear linkage puts any sideways stress on anything all it does is pull back and up.
There is hope that I could get the lawn mowed this afternoon.

I'll post back here once it's all together.

Thanks for hanging in there with me coalltrain.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I put it all back together without a hitch. The bar is loose, and I mowed the grass. :bigthumb:

Coaltrain I don't know what happened I can only think that somehow I had the big arm(s) not engaging properly where the "J" hook is on the deck. Something was torqueing at least one arm outward. Anyway all is good thanks again.

Now I've got to check my manual see if there is any adjustment to keep the 3 point hitch from dropping.

Reactions: BigJim55 and glc

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Now I've got to check my manual see if there is any adjustment to keep the 3 point hitch from dropping.
Your rate of drop adjustment knob under the operator seat should adjust the rate of drop, completely closed it should stop any sagging-although there is acceptable leakdown for the 3pt, I can’t see it being so much during mowing to be noticeable.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Well I put it all back together without a hitch. The bar is loose, and I mowed the grass. :bigthumb:

Coaltrain I don't know what happened I can only think that somehow I had the big arm(s) not engaging properly where the "J" hook is on the deck. Something was torqueing at least one arm outward. Anyway all is good thanks again.

Glad you got it going.

There is a thread here somewhere about these linkages on our tractors. I, along with some other people had the pins fall out because of the undersized cotter pins supplied. I changed all mine out - hope you did the same while you were at it.

Now about the 3-point hitch dropping. Maybe you know this but here goes anyway....

Deere decks are meant to hang underneath and not ride in the gauge wheels. Once you have the deck installed it needs to be leveled. If you need help with that let me know. I have the installation instructions for the 62D deck which goes over this.

Once the deck is leveled you control the height of cut with the rock shaft lever. You get the deck to the correct cutting height you want then slide the stop for the rock shaft lever up to where the lever is. Now each time you lower the deck it will be at that same height.

And once you have the deck at the cutting height you want, you adjust the gauge wheels so they are 1/8”-1/4” above the ground. That way they only touch the ground where it is uneven and stop the deck from scalping.

Let me know if you want the instructions. I can take pics of each page and post them here or send them to you in an email.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sent you a private messag with my e-mail address,

I thought that I remembered the 3 point hitch would staying where I left it ?

Yes I use the rockshaft stop lever to where I want to repeat cuts at the same height.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Sent you a private messag with my e-mail address,

I thought that I remembered the 3 point hitch would staying where I left it ?

Yes I use the rockshaft stop lever to where I want to repeat cuts at the same height.
Received your PM - I will get to it this afternoon, hopefully....

When you say the 3 point hitch drops - are you talking about when it is running or when parked? If when parked it is totally normal after a period of time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No when it's running, if not for the adjustable stop it would drop quickly to the bottom.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
No when it's running, if not for the adjustable stop it would drop quickly to the bottom.
So are you saying the 3 point arms drop below where you have it set with the lever while it is running?

Or...are you saying that the arms drop too fast when you move the lever? If so that was addressed in post #8.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While the tractor is running, and I raise the 3 point hitch using the rockshaft control to the top position (and don't set the adjustable depth stop lever) the rockshaft lever will move all the way to the bottom position on its own.

I'm having a brain cramp. I thought that the rockshaft lever used to stay where I left it. Now I'm not so certain.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
While the tractor is running, and I raise the 3 point hitch using the rockshaft control to the top position (and don't set the adjustable depth stop lever) the rockshaft lever will move all the way to the bottom position on its own.

I'm having a brain cramp. I thought that the rockshaft lever used to stay where I left it. Now I'm not so certain.
Yes, it should stay where you put it regardless of the position of the stop.

You just need to tighten up on the bolt that holds the lever. I’ll take a look at mine here in a little bit but expect that you will have to remove the right rear tire to get access.

This diagram shows how the lever is attached and where you would need to tighten the bolt.

0F64F823-C5CB-45B6-92D0-874FAEF5B2ED.png

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
Yes, as Stan posted, the lever probably came loose, and needs tightened up a bit.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok I'll run out to the garage, and poke my head under there. Not sure which bolt to tighten, but I check all that I can.
Took a look I think I see what your talking about. There is a slotted cam/plate with a bolt through what appears to be a spring to put tension o the handle movement.
Not sure how tight that needs to be (if that's the one).
I can see it with a flashlight from the rear of the tractor, but look like a real pain trying to tighten it from there. I might be able to get a small wrench on it, but don't think I could turn it.

Maybe it's one of those where I have to come in from the grill :lolol:

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
Fairly certain the cam and bolt you are referring to is what needs tightened up. Just tighten it enough so you can feel the tension in the lever. Mine could stand to be loosened a little, but I'll leave it as is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts