Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

I am ready to pull the trigger on adding the 260 to my 1025r and thought I would get the 12" bucket. Planning on planting some shrubs, trees and removing a few Leland Cyprus stumps. After that general yard word and such.

Any suggestions? :unknown:

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Been looking at the same thing but I really don't have a reason to get the 260 just yet other than to play (the wife would kill me if that was the only reason though). I would say your soil type and where you plan to dig is the best way to choose a bucket size. I hear in sand you can go get the 16" bucket but if you expect to dig in clay the 12" might work but the 8" might have better luck. Other people with the 260 will have a better idea than me but just something to think about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been looking at the same thing but I really don't have a reason to get the 260 just yet other than to play (the wife would kill me if that was the only reason though). I would say your soil type and where you plan to dig is the best way to choose a bucket size. I hear in sand you can go get the 16" bucket but if you expect to dig in clay the 12" might work but the 8" might have better luck. Other people with the 260 will have a better idea than me but just something to think about.
Funny you say that, I think I do have her convinced, been mentioning it since May when I bought the machine. Kick myself for not buying it then. I think I convinced myself finally.

Man this is the most expensive lawnmower I have ever owned!,:gizmo:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I did the same thing, only with the FEL. Bought the machine, had it delivered, and it wasn't 3 months later and the tractor was back at the dealer getting the FEL installed. :unknown:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The 8" would be best for digging stumps, the 16" would be best for planting - unless the soils is too dense, and the 12" is good all around. JD wants over $500 for the 16" bucket, that's about half what I paid for a locally made 42" cleanout bucket for my excavator - which was higher quality than what came from the factory.

You wouldn't want to use the 16" for digging stumps, it can twist the dipper stick because you will be engaging the roots far off center, and that will bend things in directions they aren't meant to bend. That's why the narrowest bucket is best for stumping, it also makes it easier to reach deeper under the roots without having to create a huge hole around the stump.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Went with the 12" on ours as a happy medium, but later added the Bro-Tek thumb and ripper. The thumb gets used all the time, the ripper occasionally.

The ripper can be better than the bucket for grubbing small stumps where you want to minimize soil disturbance (like established planting areas) and for cutting shallow roots but a bucket is called for anytime the stump involves a tap root and you need to get some depth.

After a couple years use, I still think 12" was the right size for a broad range of uses with our mix of sandy loam and clay.

I definately recommend adding a thumb, it really expands the utility of the backhoe. Ours gets a lot of use lifting/moving things around. Very handy to lift and hold a log for cutting, put a stump into a truck bed, stack big rocks, etc.

Nick

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
12" is a great all around use size. Big enough for a person to get into a shallow trench to level up and say lay some yard drain pipe. I bought an 8" from GFP when they were having a sale but have yet to use it. I figured that would be better for an electrical or water line trench that one didn't need to stand in. As well as grubbing stumps or roots.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have 2305 with FEL & hoe with over 250 hrs of hoe time have 16 & 12 wish had 8. smaller is better easy to get another dip then fight roots or rocks. I run around 2500 RPMs plenty fast and will pick front off ground. GO with small bucket will dig all ground and for the time it takes to change buckets you can get a lot of digging. I removed small trees roots and all have 24 inch plus with moots this winter hoping mother nature help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forgot to tell about storing hoe use outriggers and block up center or hoses will be to short making it a lot of work to get on BAD enough having to pull 3pt.

·
Premium Member
15,071 Posts
For me went with 12" , it is wide enough that 2 , 4" drain pipes can be put in the same ditch. Also with 12" have found it wide enough to get both feet down in the ditch so you can work.

The 260 could handle the 16" and a few times over the years , wished I owned a 16". When we were getting city water , the first couple of lines I dug wished I had the 8" , till we had to get down in the ditch to make the connections. IMO no need for a 8".

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
For me went with 12" , it is wide enough that 2 , 4" drain pipes can be put in the same ditch. Also with 12" have found it wide enough to get both feet down in the ditch so you can work.

The 260 could handle the 16" and a few times over the years , wished I owned a 16". When we were getting city water , the first couple of lines I dug wished I had the 8" , till we had to get down in the ditch to make the connections. IMO no need for a 8".
:thumbup1gif: The time saved digging in hard or rocky ground with an 8" will be lost digging the ditch wider the second time.

Reactions: OxfordGreen

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Forgot to tell about storing hoe use outriggers and block up center or hoses will be to short making it a lot of work to get on BAD enough having to pull 3pt.
I don't recall any problems getting it hooked up when stored on the ground. I store it on the edge of a concrete slab which gains an inch or two of height, or I store it on a pallet.

Reactions: OxfordGreen

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bucket size

My 1025 came with the 12" bucket, but I ended up buying an 8" bucket, also. We have a lot of clay (aka jack wax). When working constraints make it necessary to dig straight down, the 1025 just isn't heavy enough or powerful enough to plunge the 12" bucket straight down. I like versatility, so I may end up with the 16" bucket before it's all said and done, too. Not everything I dig is clay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

I have both the 8" and the 16". I was meant to get a 12" instead of the 8", which was delivered by accident. I'm glad now I didn't get the 12" though, as I've had to do a lot of trenching for water and electrical cables around the yard, and the 8" is just right for that work. The only drama is I have quite thick clay soil, and the 8" tends to clog up a bit. I bought a little spade that I keep on the back of the tractor, and have to hack out the clay occasionally, but if it's dry it comes out okay most of the time by itself with a few taps of the controls.

In relation to the 16", you can really move quite a bit of dirt with it. I've dug some pretty big holes with the 16", so I could finish digging out ponds with the FEL, and excavated a dirt bank that was too rocky for the FEL, and it does that work just fine. That said for most of my purposes, mainly the odd stump or big rock, or laying more water lines around the yard, the 8" tends to be what I use the most.

All things considered, the other comments about 12" probably being a sweet spot between both are right. That said, if you can afford a smaller bucket for doing water/electrical work, you'll find the 8" does a good job. I've levered some pretty big stumps and rocks out with it. If I could only have one bucket, I'd get the 12".

regards,

craby

1 - 14 of 14 Posts