Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new 1025r TLB last week and had to go out and dig over the weekend.
It will definitely take practice, but the 12" bucket tore through the ground without any problems. The ground is good Virginia soil on top of some clay. It had rained a bunch all week which probably helped as well.
Prior to purchase, I watched a several videos and it seemed that the 260 struggled a bit when digging, so I also bought the 8" scoop. Now I'm thinking that the 16" bucket is on the wish list.
A great tip I read somewhere was to lower the RPMs. That helped me be in better control. Dealer said if I did that, I had to watch the engine temperature.

I had no problems with the hydraulic hose under foot. It has enough play so that it now rests out of the way. I may get a bungee to hold it firmly.

I really like the size of the backhoe - could probably dig faster with something bigger but it fits perfectly in my garage and under the deck where the digging-for-the-patio will occur.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had no problems with the hydraulic hose under foot. It has enough play so that it now rests out of the way. I may get a bungee to hold it firmly.
T

If you can weld try a hydraulic hose block, they might even have them in bolt on form.

Reactions: buckb

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was going to post a similar thread. I'm glad I found yours instead.
I've been told by some that these small hoes are only marginally better than a pick and shovel. I've also read on this forum about guys that could not lift the back end of the tractor with the 260 hoe. Now, I'm nervous about this hoe purchase.
My first impression was, UH OH, maybe they were right and I now own a very expensive pick and shovel/counterweight. Not wanting to believe that's all this thing was ,fast forward a few hours.
My latest impression after maybe 5-6 hrs. is Woo Hoo! you naysayers go ahead and shovel I'm using this bad boy right here. The first few minutes maybe an hour it took me to start to figure out how to make this puppy work.(I've never operated a back hoe in my life). I tried to lift rear of machine too as I wanted to see if it would, not well but in certain positions ya. maybe.
After spending the weekend playing/learning, oh and digging a dry well /French drain 5 feet deep and removing 8 tree stumps I can tell you, not only will it lift the rear of tractor and place it about anywhere you want or have the nerve and expertise to place it. It will also pull the front loader and front wheels off the ground if you pull to hard on a big ole root that won't let go. After all the negatives I've heard about these this particular situation surprised,impressed and spooked me.
Rear of tractor was uphill, fairly steep and on one particular stump, pulling its roots, more than once the whole front of tractor came off the ground. Stabilizers were down but I do not lift the tractor off the ground with them.
Hydro hose did not bother me at all. It easy to slip on the lip around the footrest area when getting on or off though.
Aside from that, a little practice and this thing beats the snot out of any shovel I've ever owned. And just so no one growls at me a few pics of my learning curve. Still learning and can only think it'll get better the more I use it. Ground is decent here as well , suspect large rocks could be troublesome but they are for everything I think

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I was going to post a similar thread. I'm glad I found yours instead.
I've been told by some that these small hoes are only marginally better than a pick and shovel. I've also read on this forum about guys that could not lift the back end of the tractor with the 260 hoe. Now, I'm nervous about this hoe purchase.
My first impression was, UH OH, maybe they were right and I now own a very expensive pick and shovel/counterweight. Not wanting to believe that's all this thing was ,fast forward a few hours.
My latest impression after maybe 5-6 hrs. is Woo Hoo! you naysayers go ahead and shovel I'm using this bad boy right here. The first few minutes maybe an hour it took me to start to figure out how to make this puppy work.(I've never operated a back hoe in my life). I tried to lift rear of machine too as I wanted to see if it would, not well but in certain positions ya. maybe.
After spending the weekend playing/learning, oh and digging a dry well /French drain 5 feet deep and removing 8 tree stumps I can tell you, not only will it lift the rear of tractor and place it about anywhere you want or have the nerve and expertise to place it. It will also pull the front loader and front wheels off the ground if you pull to hard on a big ole root that won't let go. After all the negatives I've heard about these this particular situation surprised,impressed and spooked me.
Rear of tractor was uphill, fairly steep and on one particular stump, pulling its roots, more than once the whole front of tractor came off the ground. Stabilizers were down but I do not lift the tractor off the ground with them.
Hydro hose did not bother me at all. It easy to slip on the lip around the footrest area when getting on or off though.
Aside from that, a little practice and this thing beats the snot out of any shovel I've ever owned. And just so no one growls at me a few pics of my learning curve. Still learning and can only think it'll get better the more I use it. Ground is decent here as well , suspect large rocks could be troublesome but they are for everything I think
Great pics!:good2:

One question.....Why don't you plug the hydraulic caps/plugs together to prevent them from getting dirty?

·
Registered
153 Posts
good question.
Answer is cuz I'm a newb and didn't think of that. Thanks, I will now. Don't really like them just dangling around out there anyway.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
good question.
Answer is cuz I'm a newb and didn't think of that. Thanks, I will now. Don't really like them just dangling around out there anyway.
No worries here man. We all started somewhere and here at GTT, we're all glad to help out when we can.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wish I knew how to put your quotes on here, Any way I appreciate the tips. I've learned a lot on here already and really enjoy and appreciate it . I will return the favor as best I can when I can.

Reactions: DFlynn

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Wish I knew how to put your quotes on here, Any way I appreciate the tips. I've learned a lot on here already and really enjoy and appreciate it . I will return the favor as best I can when I can.
To reply with a quote, simply click on the button on the lower right hand corner of someone's post. You'll see where it says "reply with quote." If you want to reply to multiple post in in one post, simply click the icon next to it. It looks like a "+. click all the post you want to reply to and then click on the normal "reply to thread" button.:drinks:

·
Registered
153 Posts
To reply with a quote, simply click on the button on the lower right hand corner of someone's post. You'll see where it says "reply with quote." If you want to reply to multiple post in in one post, simply click the icon next to it. It looks like a "+. click all the post you want to reply to and then click on the normal "reply to thread" button.:drinks:
OH
I see said the blind man.
Thanks , you've helped me twice in the past hour. Once with the forum and once on my tractor. Thanks again ,and my wife wonders why I'm not watching TV.

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
OH
I see said the blind man.
Thanks , you've helped me twice in the past hour. Once with the forum and once on my tractor. Thanks again ,and my wife wonders why I'm not watching TV.
You'll pass it on to the next member with a question. That's what GTT is all about my friend.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Since you already know how to run that backhoe, maybe I can help with the "quotes". If you want to quote a post, at the bottom right click on the "Reply With Quote" button. It will open a reply window with the quote at the top. Add your text a line or so below the last "quote" that is in brackets... Bingo, you're right there! Scroll down to either "Preview Post" to check your spelling :)lol:) or click on "Submit Reply" to make the post.

Enjoy that BH, it sure ain't Grandpa's pick and shovel!:laugh: (Anyone that thinks it is either has "hoe envy" or has not seen one working!):laugh:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since you already know how to run that backhoe, maybe I can help with the "quotes". If you want to quote a post, at the bottom right click on the "Reply With Quote" button. It will open a reply window with the quote at the top. Add your text a line or so below the last "quote" that is in brackets... Bingo, you're right there! Scroll down to either "Preview Post" to check your spelling :)lol:) or click on "Submit Reply" to make the post.

Enjoy that BH, it sure ain't Grandpa's pick and shovel!:laugh: (Anyone that thinks it is either has "hoe envy" or has not seen one working!):laugh:
Well to a real hoe operator maybe these aren't one and I don't know squat about operating one but it has been fun. I'm quite pleased with it.
After my own initial impression ,I can see where someone may think its a toy if they only spent a few minutes with it and expected it to dig and rip like a 580 Case construction king.
At this point though, My shovels are about to be retired like my wheel barrow was 15 years ago(had a loader before)I'll even be planting the daffodils with this thing.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,808 Posts
Fine job there potential. Seems you found the perfect way to become friends with your BH and figure out what it can do and can't, trees a tough.
BTW, I'm still a newb too, I never plug the caps together.:wink:

·
Registered
153 Posts
to the original poster.
I found 25-2700 rpm feels and sounds about right for now when operating the hoe. Had no issues with engine temperature, I kept checking,cylinders got warm but I think that is to be expected as it was working its arm off.
Don't forget to grease all fittings on hoe, digging puts lots of pressure on stuff. New or not grease is cheap and you never know if dealer tech missed any or even greased it as it was new. Just my thinking on it but I can be a bit paranoid.
You digging patio out this weekend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to the original poster.
I found 25-2700 rpm feels and sounds about right for now when operating the hoe. Had no issues with engine temperature, I kept checking,cylinders got warm but I think that is to be expected as it was working its arm off.
Don't forget to grease all fittings on hoe, digging puts lots of pressure on stuff. New or not grease is cheap and you never know if dealer tech missed any or even greased it as it was new. Just my thinking on it but I can be a bit paranoid.
You digging patio out this weekend?
Checked the grease and dealer had all fittings overflowing. Dealer said to grease them every couple hours of use so I'll be getting a larger grease gun.
I'm running just above idle now and getting the hang of it so I'll be ramping up the RPMs this weekend.
Still practicing - digging some tree stumps, planting trees, and leveling. It'll be a couple more weekends before I'm comfortable enough to dig next to my gas & septic under the deck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
grease fittings - watch out for the lower side to side pivot pin fitting it is buried in the frame amongst all the hoses -
buckets - the hoe will dig without problem using the 16" - the 8" clogs if the soil is wet

a hook welded to the back of the bucket is very useful with a chain for breaking things loose - the power of the 260 is in the bucket curl not the boom or dipper

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'll even be planting the daffodils with this thing.
First job mine got was transplanting a yucca my neighbor gave me.:laugh: Those deep lily bulbs won't be a chore here anymore either!

Reactions: buckb
1 - 20 of 36 Posts