Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
It Worked Perfectly

So my backhoe arrived and I needed to mow right away, so I immediately uninstalled the backhoe right to the dolly. It worked without any problems whatsoever.

As you can see in the pictures a couple of posts before this one, I built the 2X6 version with the extra support to prevent leakdown. I used 5/16" carriage bolts to both mount the castors and hold the dolly together. The attached pdf is a dimensional drawing and drilling templates.

Thanks to everyone for the details you posted in this thread. They made it possible to build a dolly with no backhoe present for measurements.

Keane

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
So my backhoe arrived and I needed to mow right away, so I immediately uninstalled the backhoe right to the dolly. It worked without any problems whatsoever.

As you can see in the pictures a couple of posts before this one, I built the 2X6 version with the extra support to prevent leakdown. I used 5/16" carriage bolts to both mount the castors and hold the dolly together. The attached pdf is a dimensional drawing and drilling templates.

Thanks to everyone for the details you posted in this thread. They made it possible to build a dolly with no backhoe present for measurements.

Keane
Awesome I'm doing this, this weekend... Where did you get your casters

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I see a project in the near future. Since the heavy downpours have put the lawn project on hold again. Thanks for all the info everyone has shared! :)

Reactions: JD4044M and keane

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Awesome I'm doing this, this weekend... Where did you get your casters

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
I was afraid that someone would ask this. I really like these castors. Each castor has a load rating of 650 lbs. Made in the USA. Wheel material is aluminum. And I thought they were very reasonably priced at $9.52 each on Amazon. So far with a couple weeks use no indication of developing flat spots from the weight. The locking mechanism can be activated or deactivated easily with your foot. And the lock stops both wheel and castor rotation very solidly.

Here's the catch. I ordered this wheel (qty 4) on Amazon. They sent me another wheel (qty 4) instead. But I really liked the wheels they sent me, so I kept them. However, when you check these out on Amazon, you'll see they've changed the price to $36 each on both versions. Even with first-hand experience with these quality wheels, I'm not sure I'd pay $145 for the set.

So I'm not sure if I've helped you at all. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Used your design, worked great!

Also built dollies for my Frontier Bb5048, and my KK 48 inch rototiller. Cost for all 3 was scrap wood I had laying around, and 70ish dollars for harbor freight castor.

Attachments

Reactions: JD4044M and mjncad

·
Registered
938 Posts

Keane
I printed and used the plans in the attached pdf to make my backhoe dolly today. I had to buy 2-8' 2x6's, and the 4 casters. Total cost was right around $75. I used 1" lag screws to attach the casters, and 3" lag screws on the dolly itself. It was a piece of cake, took me barely an hour to make.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bump.
Anyone have anything extra to add to this topic?
I am planning to build a dolly for my backhoe and there are great ideas here but just wanted to see if there is anything else before I make mine.

I want to make one for the box blade as well but that is likely much less involved.

Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
A new Mod to the Backhoe Dolly

I was pretty sure that the backhoe dolly I made from the information provided in this thread was perfect. It has served me well. (Posts #19 and #21 in this thread.) But I finally decided to make it just a little bit better.

A while back I added BXpanded's ripper claw to my backhoe tools. Just recently I added their quick change apparatus and a trenching bucket. So now the dolly must store the extra tools as well. To keep them secure in their nest, I added some side panels to keep all pieces in place during transport.

Wood Table Plywood Machine Vehicle

The tools all reside on the same dolly as the backhoe. There's also a place to store the feet, which I remove during long term storage to reduce the backhoe's footprint. (This is a fancy way to say that I get tired of bumping into the feet.)

To change the tool on the backhoe, I place the dolly under the backhoe, but about 8 inches further back than if I were going to load the backhoe on it.

Machine Tool

The video below shows the 8 inch bucket being installed with BXpanded's quick change system:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hi new member I’ve had my tractor 2 yrs and have left the hoe on for the entire time
My question here is can anyone add insight as to the pros or cons of using locking casters? Is it worth spending the extra $ for something that locks?
I’m sure others will have more to add but in my case I’d rathyhave locking casters as sometimes wheeled items like to wander on my barn floor-it’s sloped to drain to the floor.

I’d also lock them when rearranging the items in the barn or outside so they don’t bump into other items, run away, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
As Balrog006 mentioned, most concrete is sloped for drainage, no matter where it is installed. The backhoe weighs around 650 lbs, so you don't want this getting away from you. Think about somebody leaning on it or even a good wind. It would not take much to get it started. But after you've handled it on the dolly, you'll realize it takes a lot to get it stopped once it gets moving. A hard stop when it hits something or going off an edge could dump the backhoe off the cart. Besides the potential damage to an expensive implement, you hope nobody is near it if that happens.

A few years ago there was a railroad car stored on a siding in town. It was a pretty flat place where it was stored. Some kids were playing on the car and someone unknowingly turned the brake wheel to the "off" position. (Somebody else had forgotten to lock it.) The car didn't move at all. Eventually the kids lost interest and moved on. Some time later, the car started moving, very slowly at first. It could have been the wind or vibrations on the track from a passing train nearby. Nobody knows for sure. But the car picked up speed as it headed toward the middle of town. It blasted through the crossings with no horn warning. It was going too fast for in town and the crossing signals didn't have enough time to respond. It was a miracle that nobody was hit in town. I think I remember an estimate of it traveling 30 mph by the time it got to the other side of town. The miracle ended at that point. There was a train crew doing maintenance on the track just outside of town. The track they were working on was supposed to be empty, with all the signals set to "red". Of course, the unoccupied car ignored all the signals. With no lights or audible warning, the car was on them before they had any time to get out of the way. At this point I don't remember how many fatalities there were, but the result was a fatal accident.

Big, heavy, potentially dangerous things need locks.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Another happy builder

Finished this up today but didn't have a chance to test it out. All scrap laying around, only cost was the 5inch casters at HD. Next up FEL dolly. :munch:
Furniture Table Wood Hardwood Plywood

·
Registered
197 Posts
260B seems to low

I built a dolly to spec with 2x6 boards and 5" wheels from Harbor Freight and it seems to be slightly too high. I can't slide it under the backhoe frame. I slid the dolly under the best I could and then had to lift the tractor up with the bucket while it was on the dolly and then kinda slid it under the backhoe frame using the backhoe and then everything went very smooth. Seems about 1/2" or so too high for me.

Just got it today, so haven't checked the air in the tires yet, but they looked ok. They were filled with Rim Guard from the dealer so would hope they checked the PSI.

Product Vehicle Machine

Reactions: MadOx

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is another thread where those of us that have built a dolly for the 260B have posted our experiences. 260B backhoe dolly Have a look in there to see if you can modify your dolly to fit under the 260B.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I built a dolly to spec with 2x6 boards and 5" wheels from Harbor Freight and it seems to be slightly too high. I can't slide it under the backhoe frame. I slid the dolly under the best I could and then had to lift the tractor up with the bucket while it was on the dolly and then kinda slid it under the backhoe frame using the backhoe and then everything went very smooth. Seems about 1/2" or so too high for me.

Just got it today, so haven't checked the air in the tires yet, but they looked ok. They were filled with Rim Guard from the dealer so would hope they checked the PSI.

View attachment 667704
The height of this dolly is tight. If the FEL is down on the ground, you should be able to get the dolly in place by coming in from the side. As I recall, if the FEL is raised a bit, the weight on the front will lift the back of the tractor enough so that you can go straight in with the dolly. Lumber and wheels don't come in an infinite number of dimensions. With the FEL on the ground, the dolly is just barely hanging up on a big nut on the bottom of the backhoe when you go straight in. If you don't like going in from the side (or don't have the room to do this), you can route a small slot in the end board that will let the dolly past this nut.

I don't know about your dealer, but with my dealer I check everything and am frequently disappointed.

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
How about going with 4" casters? Quick and simple.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
703 Posts
How about running the rear tires on a couple of boards??? If I'm understanding the problem correctly.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.