Green Tractor Talk banner

260 Backhoe Install on 2021 1023E

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mic575 
#1 ·
Good Morning All! Like many others, I have been creeping around on this forum for months since I got my 1023E, and it has led to things like pirahna toothbars, bucket hooks, pallet forks...the usual.

Recently the idea of a backhoe became very appealing, and I found an older 260 with light use (according to the previous owner) on Craigslist for $3000 (a new 260B quoted locally at my dealer was $7700). The 260 subframe kit from Green Parts Store was $1600, putting me at a little over $4800 for the whole kit (with a power beyond kit added in). It was easy enough to do the power beyond install, but I will wanted to share what happens when you try to install the 260 (not 260B) subframe for 1023E onto a 2021 JD 1023E.

More to come on this topic as I continue to work through it, but be aware, there is some light fabrication that needs to take place - primarily in the bolts that mount the subframe arms and bracket to the tractor frame. The original subframe kit uses much smaller bolts.

Wood Automotive tire Fastener Screw Gas

After a lot of step-bit work, the holes were carefully hogged out and mounted. The size difference is from 5/8" to 7/8" in order for the bolts to pass through without restriction.

Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive exterior Auto part

Mounted.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

A key item to note - instructions indicate to get rid of the old draft link support pad (where the draft link bolt passes through from the ROPS support - don't do it! I had to re-use the support and the old bolts because the draft link bolt is about 1/2" longer than previous versions and is not threaded - you won't be able to tighten it down to spec.

More to come as I work through the remaining steps! I love this forum, and I wanted to pass on what I am experiencing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats cool! Backhoes are awesome 😎

#4 ·
I definitely want the Hydros - it’s on the list… the liquid cooled credit card needs a break after this project! But, I got it done!
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Some items of note when doing this install:

- the frame arms run very close to the rear tires, wheel spacers would help this, or some slight grinding in that area.

- the seat mount in the kit is not a perfect match to newer 1023E seats - the brackets don’t line up, but drilling a couple of holes fixed it right up.

- all in all, a bunch of massaging, but it came together and I ran the machine today, moving it through all the articulations, and man Im in love already!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.