Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

The dealer just brought back my 1025R...with the new 260 backhoe!!!:thumbup1gif: I have a few questions though that I'm certain the collective brain trust here can help me with.

First, the three sided guard around the rear PTO is missing. The delivery guy said that needs to be removed for the 260 installation. However, to double check I also just called the salesperson, and he didn't think that the guard needed to be removed, and assured me I'd get it back. Does the guard need to be removed? When I have the 260 off the tractor, I certainly want that PTO protected with that guard.

Secondly, the hydraulic hose from the Power Beyond to the 260 is routed directly over the left foot rest of the backhoe. My left foot literally cannot rest on the footrest without resting on the hose. The delivery guy said that is just the way it is. Is this correct?

And lastly, of course the seat needed to be retrofitted to allow it to pivot 180 degrees. However I now notice that the seat has a considerable side-to-side and front-to-rear wobble. I'd say the play is about 2 inches or so. Is this typical?

Would greatly appreciate your insights.

Since the ground is like concrete, the only "stuff" I could play with was the piles of white stuff and ice now. So, I guess I'll just have to wait for the frost line to let up to get to my projects.

Take care all,
Mike...The Griz

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
First, the three sided guard around the rear PTO is missing. The delivery guy said that needs to be removed for the 260 installation. However, to double check I also just called the salesperson, and he didn't think that the guard needed to be removed, and assured me I'd get it back. Does the guard need to be removed? When I have the 260 off the tractor, I certainly want that PTO protected with that guard.

I think you should have used the BH to bury the delivery guy.:unknown: The three sided cover should be on the tractor and will not get in the way of the BH when installed.

Secondly, the hydraulic hose from the Power Beyond to the 260 is routed directly over the left foot rest of the backhoe. My left foot literally cannot rest on the footrest without resting on the hose. The delivery guy said that is just the way it is. Is this correct?

Yep, this is an issue, someone on here took a piece of radiator hose and placed it over their hose and it seemed to work well for them.

And lastly, of course the seat needed to be retrofitted to allow it to pivot 180 degrees. However I now notice that the seat has a considerable side-to-side and front-to-rear wobble. I'd say the play is about 2 inches or so. Is this typical?

Yep, seat does wobble a lot. It has bothered some, while others, like myself, just live with it. Someone on here did a fix for that but I do not recall what they did to fix it.

With that said, Congrats:good2: your gonna love it when you start using it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Billie covered it Mike. Congrats in the hoe.

As for the seat, mine doesn't seem to wobble near as much as some here have complained about.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billie and PSRumors,

Thanks very much for the prompt replies...succinct and direct. Billie you still have me chuckling...I guess he should feel fortunate that the ground is frozen solid:lol:. Having said that, the delivery guy was very helpful and fully explained the backhoe.

I would like to probe a little further though...can anyone let me know on fixes to firm up the wobbly seat? If I have to live with it, so be it. But sure would be nice if I could firm it up.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Billie and PSRumors,

Thanks very much for the prompt replies...succinct and direct. Billie you still have me chuckling...I guess he should feel fortunate that the ground is frozen solid:lol:. Having said that, the delivery guy was very helpful and fully explained the backhoe.

I would like to probe a little further though...can anyone let me know on fixes to firm up the wobbly seat? If I have to live with it, so be it. But sure would be nice if I could firm it up.

Thanks again,
Mike
I've never noticed any wobble...is it side to side? If so I'll try to see what's preventing mine from doing that.
Or is more a lift up and tilt down type wobble.
If its possible post a video of it.

And clearly you have great taste inGarden Tractors!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello folks,

Guard stays on. Make sure to get it back.
It is a small tractor and hard to put everything in an easy workable space but still a bad design by Deere on this one. :thumbsdown: I just put my foot on it... It is only a hydraulic hose and you can do little damage to it.
Mine is about an inch each way... I just got use to it. :unknown:

Congrats on the backhoe. You will be able to toss out the shovel now.:lol:

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor and hoe. Yes as others have said guard need to be in place, yes hose lays there but you get used to it, and as seat wobble mine moves some but you get used to it also..

Enjoy when you get nicer weather so you can play,,, I mean work..with your new toy,,, I mean BH.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
First, Congrats on the BH, you'll have fun digging.

Regarding the PTO cover, yes and no. IIRC on my 1026R/260 BH, the 3 sided guard that comes on the regular tractor had to come off and be replaced by a new guard that has a rubber flap on one side. I believe the left side, to allow room for the swing cylinder. The new guard should be part of the BH package. I think my dealer gave me the old guard with all the parts such as the 3pt arms, etc.

And yes the wobbly BH seat strikes again. As others have stated, it varies how much it wobbles, and I've just gotten used to it. Also beware, my dealer installed my swivel mechanism backwards, I had to unbolt and swing the seat around for proper operation.

Good luck and happy digging.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As Tomfive stated, my 3ph cover has a rubber flap on one side. I don't know what the cover on the standard 1025 is since mine was a TLB and came from the factory set up that way. I don't really notice any wobble in my seat. I guess mine must be perfect or I just don't realize what wobble the guys are talking about.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mine came with the guard in place.

The PB hose routing is another JD designer's "Ahhh... it's good enough!" shortcut. (It will keep your left foot warm in cooler weather however!)

The seat, ah yes, that seat. Mine rocks easily about 1" forward and 1" back times 1.5" sideways. My answer to this problem is usually fanning the air with my hat an yelling "Yaaaa Hooooo!" several times... It's another "designer shortcut" (albiet a "junior" designer shortcut). Though I hold out zero hope for repair, this small defect will be on the list when my 1026 goes in for the FBS treatment...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Harold, is your tractor a factory installed loader and backhoe?

Just curious if it is the retrofit seat kit that wobbles so much.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've never noticed any wobble...is it side to side? If so I'll try to see what's preventing mine from doing that.
Or is more a lift up and tilt down type wobble.
If its possible post a video of it.

And clearly you have great taste inGarden Tractors!
My seat wobbles like a midget carrying a mattress lol.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I went out and looked at my seat. Apparently there is a similar wobble in my seat, about 1" total front/back and 1/2" or so side/side. I never considered that it was an issue. Considering all of the moving parts under the seat, and the tolerances of those parts, I just expect that a tilt, swivel, suspension seat is going to have some movement. I don't notice any movement when seated or unstable feelings while operating the tractor. I suppose I am one of the just gotten used to it club. Actually I would say I just never noticed it.

Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
My seat wobbles like a midget carrying a mattress lol.
I busted out laughing so hard when I read this :laugh:... My wife thought I was going crazy!

PTO cover
IMG_1189.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello folks,

The dealer just brought back my 1025R...with the new 260 backhoe!!!:thumbup1gif: I have a few questions though that I'm certain the collective brain trust here can help me with.

Would greatly appreciate your insights.

Since the ground is like concrete, the only "stuff" I could play with was the piles of white stuff and ice now. So, I guess I'll just have to wait for the frost line to let up to get to my projects.

Take care all,
Mike...The Griz
When the dealer installed my BH they replaced the PTO cover that came with the tractor with one that has a rubber flap on one side.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Harold, is your tractor a factory installed loader and backhoe?

Just curious if it is the retrofit seat kit that wobbles so much.
Factory TLB. That set-up is a true Rube Goldberg, Rube Goldberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (for the younger generation's edification) far too complicated for what it has to do (In my ever humble opinion). I truly believe a "flip over" or "ramp" setup would have been far more useful. I suppose the "arm rests" have some bearing on the type of rotation...

·
Registered
284 Posts
And lastly, of course the seat needed to be retrofitted to allow it to pivot 180 degrees. However I now notice that the seat has a considerable side-to-side and front-to-rear wobble. I'd say the play is about 2 inches or so.
Mike...The Griz
I purchased and installed the BH a few months after I purchased the tractor. It came with a replacement PTO cover with flap as others have stated.

Your complaint about the swivel seat was my largest complaint because:

1. It added about two inches to the ride height of the seat

2. It greatly increased the side to side wobble of the seat and is a broken seat assembly waiting to happen IMO. It was also just miserable to seat in when traveling uneven ground.

3. It necessitated loosening the seat belt attachment to be able to swivel the seat.

5. My particular swivel assembly had an interference which prevented smooth rotation.

I disliked the whole setup enough to change it. The main seat is a Deluxe seat from the X700 series which is weight adjustable and the BH seat is one I designed, fabricated and installed. The BH seat is from a D140 lawn tractor. It is not only comfortable, but sits at the correct height while operating the BH and it has zero wobble. For my use I think it is infinitely better than the factory setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,727 Posts
I purchased and installed the BH a few months after I purchased the tractor. It came with a replacement PTO cover with flap as others have stated.

Your complaint about the swivel seat was my largest complaint because:

1. It added about two inches to the ride height of the seat

2. It greatly increased the side to side wobble of the seat and is a broken seat assembly waiting to happen IMO. It was also just miserable to seat in when traveling uneven ground.

3. It necessitated loosening the seat belt attachment to be able to swivel the seat.

5. My particular swivel assembly had an interference which prevented smooth rotation.

I disliked the whole setup enough to change it. The main seat is a Deluxe seat from the X700 series which is weight adjustable and the BH seat is one I designed, fabricated and installed. The BH seat is from a D140 lawn tractor. It is not only comfortable, but sits at the correct height while operating the BH and it has zero wobble. For my use I think it is infinitely better than the factory setup.
Like the two seat setup.. I have a new seat from my old 2305. Just wondering could you post a few pictures of how or what you changed to put the rear seat on ?? Guessing others would like the see your design.

Thanks
Gene

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like the two seat setup.. I have a new seat from my old 2305. Just wondering could you post a few pictures of how or what you changed to put the rear seat on ?? Guessing others would like the see your design.

Thanks
Gene
Definitely would like to see pics of the mounting configuration for the rear seat.

That is pretty slick! I'm assuming the rear seat is mounted to the tractor? Or were you able to find a way to keep it on the backhoe?

Jeff

1 - 20 of 51 Posts