Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've hit the 10 hour mark on the backhoe so I've had a look at the lubrication recommendations but I'm finding then a bit confusing. I can see that I put a couple of squirts of grease onto the nipples, but what are they saying about the sae 10 oil? Do I rub that onto the pistons or should I be using grease? Also what should I put on the pins and parts that don't have grease nipples?

I'd appreciate any advice on the way to do it properly as its got a few squeaks starting so I'm assuming some bit needs lubrication.

Thanks very much,

Regards

Craby

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The fittings that take grease should be hit daily when in use. Albeit that is usually an 8 hr day.
The bucket pin usually takes the most abuse so we in the business make that the priority fitting.

Not sure what they want you to do with oil? Maybe wipe on cylinders if it's stored outside?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The 10wt is for pivot points that don't have a grease fitting, such as the outrigger feet.

omlvu23711_h0
So instead of just putting in a simple fitting where you would get grease on the inside where you need it, we'll just have the owner dump oil on it and have it get all over. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So instead of just putting in a simple fitting where you would get grease on the inside where you need it, we'll just have the owner dump oil on it and have it get all over. :laugh:
That simple grease fitting isn't. Having Deere put one on every pivot point would make an expensive piece of equipment very much more so... And for what benefit? That pivot on the outrigger feet is unlikely to ever see any significant wear, even with many many hours on the hoe without the fitting. It's quite easy to lube points like this effectively, making them sufficient for minimal cost and maintaining the cost of the equipment where it is now.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The 10wt is for pivot points that don't have a grease fitting, such as the outrigger feet.

omlvu23711_h0
Quote the manual:

8. Coat exposed cylinder rods and hooks on backhoe with thin film of grease.

9. Put waterproof cover over backhoe if stored outside.
First year I did #9 and missed #8. I suggest highly if you store your hoe under a tarp (with plenty of ventilation!) that the outrigger pistons that are exposed be greased. Cheapo plating fails and piston gets a brown rash. Hoe pistons were OK...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts