Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steep slopes + scrap metal + plasma cutter + Boredom = backhoe-mounted mower!

Our property is hilled and stepped, and has steep walls that need occasional taming. Hey, why not mount a cheap mower to the backhoe. Isn't this why they make safety glasses and hard hats? Let's do some enginerding while we let the neck get a sunburn.

1.jpg
Camera is level. I'm parked a little far from the edge in this shot. normally I'd get the upper edge of the hill with a string trimmer. That gets harder as it gets steeper. Here's where the mower comes in handy.

2.jpg
White line represents final plasma cut line. Red line represents boundary of CNC-cut wood template for plasma cutter. (Mechanizing plasma cutter is on the "list of things to do.")

3.jpg
$40 Craigslist 20" mower. CNC-cut plasma template, scrap 1/4" steel plate, 1.5" angle iron, some welding. Oh, and Deere green paint. Why leave the wheels on? Everything moves easier on wheels. Gray metal in between is the BXpanded quick mount, which, along with their ripper and thumb (for which I have the parts to convert to hydraulic this winter), is worth every penny. Takes <30 seconds to swap a bucket for the mower

The mower can be started and stopped from the operator's seat. There's a bullet connecter at the end of the dipper for connecting the kill switch.

Here's a quick video:

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
That's great. That is what I love about this forum so many smart people. Makes me I wish I had a BH. Thanks:good2::good2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
:bigbeer: wow this never even crossed my mind..... that is awesome! Great job:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
12,598 Posts
:bigthumb: great job!! i've seen fellas do that thave ponds on their property too. amazing enginerding i have to say:lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
That is FREAKIN AWESOME!! Really nice setup! Wonder how a hyd powered mower would work out?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Sweet mower!

Steep slopes + scrap metal + plasma cutter + Boredom = backhoe-mounted mower!

Our property is hilled and stepped, and has steep walls that need occasional taming. Hey, why not mount a cheap mower to the backhoe. Isn't this why they make safety glasses and hard hats? Let's do some enginerding while we let the neck get a sunburn.

View attachment 471666
Camera is level. I'm parked a little far from the edge in this shot. normally I'd get the upper edge of the hill with a string trimmer. That gets harder as it gets steeper. Here's where the mower comes in handy.

View attachment 471674
White line represents final plasma cut line. Red line represents boundary of CNC-cut wood template for plasma cutter. (Mechanizing plasma cutter is on the "list of things to do.")

View attachment 471682
$40 Craigslist 20" mower. CNC-cut plasma template, scrap 1/4" steel plate, 1.5" angle iron, some welding. Oh, and Deere green paint. Why leave the wheels on? Everything moves easier on wheels. Gray metal in between is the BXpanded quick mount, which, along with their ripper and thumb (for which I have the parts to convert to hydraulic this winter), is worth every penny. Takes <30 seconds to swap a bucket for the mower

The mower can be started and stopped from the operator's seat. There's a bullet connecter at the end of the dipper for connecting the kill switch.

Here's a quick video:
Now I have a new winter project!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
:bigthumb: ... and you didn't need one bit of duct tape!!! Great job!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That's neat :good2: I wonder how it would be if it was mounted 180 so you could swing the boom side to side while extending out.

Reactions: Levi and Robnik

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's neat :good2: I wonder how it would be if it was mounted 180 so you could swing the boom side to side while extending out.
I thought about putting a swivel on the mount for that purpose, and also spring mounting it to soften the impact of stuffing it into the hillside. It happens.

V2...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts