Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered and installed the BXpanded thumb. Disappointingly easy to install... took the better part of 5 minutes. I was looking forward to wrenching on the tractor a bit

In the interest of a finding a winter project, has anyone replaced the mechanical extender bar with a hydraulic cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am debating getting one for my BH, it would be nice to have a hydraulic thumb though.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
If you read in some of the other threads on backhoe thumbs, I have recently written about converting the thumb on my 270B but I have not yet begun to even look into what is would take, or even if it is doable.... I suppose it could be run with a diverter mounted on the backhoe boom or dipper stick, just not somewhere vulnerable..... Sizing the piston and figuring out the plumbing/routing would be another chore but not insurmountable, and finally fabrication and welding of the attaching parts for the cylinder to the dipper arm and thumb... This is the most thought I have put into it so far....lol... I really do like the idea and look forward to hearing from others on this subject.....

Model 46 backhoe thumb question

Sincerely

Reactions: peavs

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here is a conversion

So I just ordered and installed the BXpanded thumb. Disappointingly easy to install... took the better part of 5 minutes. I was looking forward to wrenching on the tractor a bit
In the interest of a finding a winter project, has anyone replaced the mechanical extender bar with a hydraulic cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk http://https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/178248-barracuda-thumb-conversation.html

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTEhttp://https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/178248-barracuda-thumb-conversation.html
I want to do the same thing with the thumb on my 270B. I have seen this video before. I don't really care for the hose routing and cutting the holes in the dipper arm... but I do like the end result and would modify mine in a heartbeat if the right mod came along.... The key is sizing the piston with the correct stroke to mimic the current thumb range of motion.... I have not even begun to look into this.... Maybe in the spring....Backhoe is stored in the barn for the winter....

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hydraulic thumb

I want to do the same thing with the thumb on my 270B. I have seen this video before. I don't really care for the hose routing and cutting the holes in the dipper arm... but I do like the end result and would modify mine in a heartbeat if the right mod came along.... The key is sizing the piston with the correct stroke to mimic the current thumb range of motion.... I have not even begun to look into this.... Maybe in the spring....Backhoe is stored in the barn for the winter....

Sincerely
I just got my 2032 back with the 270B on it and was curious about the hydraulic thumb. I suppose you have already done this but I googled "Hydraulic Thumb" and got a few hits, but all were for excavators. Titan makes one and EA does as well, They seem to be weld on attach which I wouldn't do. It's too pretty LOL.
How would one power it. Maybe a separate valve fed by the Power Beyond system or the dual SCV. Is that right (SCV)?

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts

Sincerely
I just got my 2032 back with the 270B on it and was curious about the hydraulic thumb. I suppose you have already done this but I googled "Hydraulic Thumb" and got a few hits, but all were for excavators. Titan makes one and EA does as well, They seem to be weld on attach which I wouldn't do. It's too pretty LOL.
How would one power it. Maybe a separate valve fed by the Power Beyond system or the dual SCV. Is that right (SCV)?
There are lots of ways a thumb could be powered. Here are some examples each with pros and cons.
Options
1. Rear SCV - if you have the dual rear SCV option you could run two lines along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
Pros
Easy to plumb hydraulically if you already have rear SCV. Requires only two lengths of hose with proper fittings/couplers.
No additional diverter/3rd Function/control valve needed if you have rear SCVs.
Cons
Requires Dual Rear SCV option
Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated
Almost impossible to operate rear SCV controls from backhoe operators seat. Can’t reach and not practical.

2. Power Beyond with diverter or 3rd function kit. You can run two lines along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
Pros
Does not require dual rear SCV
Diverter or 3rd function switch can be conveniently mounted on backhoe control lever.
Cons
Requires addition of diverter or 3rd function kit
Requires more complicated plumbing and separate wiring to the backhoe for the diverter or 3rd function kit
Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated.

3. Tap into existing backhoe hydraulics and add a dedicated single spool control valve to operate the thumb. You could run two lines from the control valve along the backhoe boom and dipper arm to the thumb cylinder.
Pros
Simplest solution once you determine where to tap into hydraulics.
No electrical required
Least costly solution
Cons
Hydraulic lines vulnerable to damage unless well integrated.

I’m sure there are more pros and cons that other fart smellers on this forum can add to what I’ve listed above. I personally would go with option 3. It is the most pragmatic and cost-effective solution.

Sincerely

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've converted mine. I've been meaning to post the details. Maybe your question will motivate me. Cost about $430, using parts readily available - 95% of the parts came from surpluscenter.com. The thumb is absolutely awesome for ripping out blackberry and loading it directly into the trailer without having to touch the evil vine, or get off the tractor to adjust the thumb when changing reach. The electric diverter valve diverts stick control to thumb control when a button is pressed. I chose this control configuration to allow for "pinching" with the thumb and bucket at the same time. I'll try to get all the details and parts list in a fresh thread soon. Here's a teaser:

20180415_225058531_iOS.jpg
20180929_182518095_iOS.jpg
20180804_022930712_iOS.jpg
20180929_182440968_iOS.jpg
20180414_015948319_iOS.jpg
20180317_032023708_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've converted mine. I've been meaning to post the details. Maybe your question will motivate me. Cost about $430, using parts readily available - 95% of the parts came from surpluscenter.com. The thumb is absolutely awesome for ripping out blackberry and loading it directly into the trailer without having to touch the evil vine, or get off the tractor to adjust the thumb when changing reach. The electric diverter valve diverts stick control to thumb control when a button is pressed. I chose this control configuration to allow for "pinching" with the thumb and bucket at the same time. I'll try to get all the details and parts list in a fresh thread soon. Here's a teaser:

View attachment 668512
View attachment 668514
View attachment 668516 View attachment 668518
Awesome!!! Would love to see more details.

:bigthumb:

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Nice job! We definitely need more details......

Thanks

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Homestead Joe: I bleed green but looked at their thumb and they must think customers are millionaires. They are charging close to $750 for the thumb and naturally all these items are made by contract suppliers. I'll be going with Xpanded design since I've added the mount. Went to TSC tonight and priced out some supplies. One can use the weld on lift arm connectors...but in pricing out what was needed there I was approaching $200 not including the thumb part which is around $150 from a supplier off Ebay...while I do like the hydraulic approach...this is an absolute fortune...I'm going with Xpanded on the 260B. Sent them my templates of design for the 260. I had $80 in the design as I had my machine shop but and drill the metal. Used 3/8" material which leaves a 4.5" distance inside. I'll have to address this with Xpand or just grind down their width. The original is .5" wider. I'm surprised that John Deere didn't have the supplier make this heavier. As a matter of fact Mahindra is coming from the same supplier. They have a beefier mount. Anyway...passing along...best Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Fixed the mechanical thumb issue on the 1025R. Bought a 17G and had a hydraulic thumb put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts