Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently bought a JD 2210 with a 550 lb bucket with a hunting property , very interested in digging a pond originally thinking a size 60 x 60 feet and 6-8 feet deep not sure that a backhoe 260 with a 16 inch bucket will do the trick time is not an issue herer , wondering spending 5-6 K buying a backhoe to do the job , surely i can also use it for other purposes , any suggestions

·
Administrator
20,889 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I think it'd take a really long time to dig a pond of that size with a little hoe. You may want to hire that out or rent/buy a bigger machine.

BTW, I moved your thread to the SCUT forum for a better fit and more responses. I also changed the title for easier future searches. I hope you don't mind. :hi:

:wgtt:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
:wgtt:

Won't work pond too big
Sell backhoe to me:lol:

Good lock with tractor

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
709 Posts
For a pond that big you would do better with a much larger machine. In my opinion, a dozer and one larger loader with teeth works better than a small backhoe for something that big. I have only built a couple of ponds so I am no expert in the matter. I have worked with large and small equipment.

I am interested in building one at our deer lease and farm also in the next year or two.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,834 Posts
I have to agree with others, go big.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I've seen several ponds built over the years of various sizes. All of them were built using a good size dozer and excavator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
After ~2-3 hours I'm about 1/6 done with my 30 foot pond / 3 foot deep using 260 backhoe (and loader). I'm only using a 12" scoop - definitely thinking about 16". Backhoe having no issues yet - tearing through the dirt/rocks here in Virginia (though not down to solid rock - don't know if this tractor could do much there).
So, unlike the others here I think you could do it. You could do it faster/better with bigger equipment.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You could do it with a shovel and a wheel barrow. Like everyone already said, to do it right you will need a excavator and a dozer. The keyway under the dam will need dug out and filled with clay and then packed with a dozer. That means you need to cut the keyway at least the width of the dozer so you can pack beneath the dam as you layer the dirt in.

If your time is worth nothing, go ahead and try it. If you are hitting rock, you will need to make sure that the water doesn't drain out through the rock. This will mean spreading a clay liner over the rock and packing it and even then there are no guarantees.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
160 Posts
Other ways (big tractors, dozers, excavators) will of course be easier. *grin*. That said, I dug my 3.5ft (average) deep 24x24 foundation for the tractor's shed with a 2305TLB without any difficulty in 2 days or so. If you have the time and the diesel then you can do it just fine. If your time is money then you have to consider the real cost, but I frankly wanted the weekend out. :) I was happy in the end...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
excavators are the way to go for a job like that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts