Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,196 Posts
Yes. That's a bad location. Susceptible to being crowded with spoils and ripping the fitting out. I agree with Blake's suggestion to replace it with a low profile needle fitting.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could install a needle fitting. It would sit flush (or very close to flush) with the surface.
I ended up greasing it and then removing the zerk and installed a plug. I don't care much for needle fittings as they like to fill with dirt.

·
Super Moderator
8,196 Posts
Another thing you could do is remove the pin and have it drilled and tapped for an outside fitting.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
... or tack weld a 1/2" length of 1" pipe to it to act as a guard.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,090 Posts
Another thing you could do is remove the pin and have it drilled and tapped for an outside fitting.
Like just put a fitting on the other side. I like it.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: keane and OxPath

·
Registered
967 Posts
I put a plug in and change it to a zerk when necessary for maintenance.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I had the same problem with that zerk and posted how I decided to plug the hole and swap out a zerk during service. 56FordGuy suggested a needle fitting at that time, but I had no luck sourcing one locally. I did talk a local who who would drill and tap the pin as suggested by SuperGlideSport, but I was too cheap to pay 50 bucks to have it done.

I've serviced the backhoe three or four times since that post and the extra few minutes it takes to swap the plug and zerk hasn't decreased my life expectancy significantly, so I'll continue to do so. The 260 BH is a beautiful piece of engineering, but I can't imagine what they were thinking when they placed that zerk at the end of the dipper stick. :cookoo:

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
This is the third or fourth time replacing this zerk. Anyone else having this issue?
Nope, never broke mine and I have at least 100 hours of time on my BH. This grease fitting is actually above the bucket when it is rolled down in the digging position.

·
Premium Member
15,050 Posts
Nope, never broke mine and I have at least 100 hours of time on my BH. This grease fitting is actually above the bucket when it is rolled down in the digging position.
Same here never have broken one, guessing I have 100-150 hrs on mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts