Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sick of this disaster in my garage and was inspired by the 260 backhoe dolly builds that you all decided to post, so I made my own too! I used the attached file as a guide, created by GreenTractorTalk member "Keane". Unfortunately I ran into some problems that I need to correct. I believe the issues might stem from the fact that the guide might be specific to the 260 backhoe versus the 260B that I have, or more likely it might just be some error on my part.

Problems:
  • The 5" Casters are too tall. A real shame since these have three zerk fittings and a 350 lb rating per wheel. This issue was surmountable my lifting the rear of the 1025R using the stabilizer legs, but it added another step to getting the unit on and off. I can't just pivot the backhoe on and off as others have done.
  • The 42" dolly length seems to be much too short. It manages to grab the teeth of the bucket just barely, but I can't nestle it into the dolly like others have done. When I attempted to do so, the backhoe began to fall forward while it was still hydraulically connected to the tractor... Not Good. Once I got it figured out enough to get it on the dolly, I felt comfortable enough with it to move it into place but I'm worried about it leaking down and falling off the dolly. Come to think of it as I'm typing this, I'm wondering why in the world I backed it against the wall like that...
  • Four swivel casters is too much. I should have used two straight casters at the end of the dolly where the frame is. It's annoying trying to push the whole assembly and it decides to start drifting to the left or right of its own volition.
Please jump in with some advice and guidance. I will post pictures of any improvements in version 2.0 once I get to there! (Thankfully 2"x6"x8' lumber isn't too expensive...:banghead:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have no clue about the new backhoe. So I’m spitballing off your pictures.
If you need any type of measurements from the old backhoe or my dolly I can measure for you.

How high are you having to go up with the BH? 1/2” to tall? A few inches to tall?

Quick looking at your pictures you could possibly change the front board to a 1x4 and remove the middle small piece and replace with a 1x4. That will give you an extra 3/4” lower.

If you need closer to 1- 1 1/4” remove that front 2x6 completely and add a fiat metal bar 3/16 or so thick. Then after letting the front of the back sit flat take the 2x4 you took off the front and put it on the dolly between the front and middle and slide it to the front till it hits the backhoe. That should give you a stopping point for reference(if the 2x6 is to tall and or wide change it to a 1x4

Also. After looking mine over and a few others in the original thread it may help if you take that extra middle board out. It seems by keeping the middle and front the same height helps the BH get an angle which should help get it on and off. Remember I have the old style BH and it could hook up completely different as I have 2 hooks up front.

If all that works then act like you are taking the backhoe off and curl the bucket up and take a measurement to see how long you will need to make the new dolly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I too have the 260B, and made my dolly from 2x6s based on the measurements posted here.
There was actually a PDF of the materials needed in one of the threads, thats what I used.
I did use 3" cast iron casters, rated at 250# each, and they work well. Height is an issue if you go too big.

My dolly works just fine, and I didnt modify anything to make it work. I think the issue is in the process of detaching the backhoe and not the dolly size. I had issues with this at first, and it took a few tries to get it where I liked it.
Keep in mind that while you are putting it on the dolly, you need to curl the bucket more so that it fits where its supposed to. The way yours is now, it will fall off the dolly if that cylinder collapses at all.

I put mine under the rear, set the bucket down on it, then curl to position it, then raise it the rest of the way off the tractor using the stabilizers and retracting the boom. Then retract everything necessary to get it where it needs to be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is my version of a 260B backhoe dolly. The dolly itself is 20" wide by 44" long.

I decided to support the front of the backhoe by putting the dolly under the 2" square cross tube.

On my tractor the bottom of the tube is 8 3/4" off the ground. I bought 5" casters that are a total of 6" tall. With two 2x6s stacked on top of the casters, the dolly would be too tall to fit under the backhoe. I used a forstner bit and chisel to create a 3/8" pocket for the castors to fit into, and notched the cross piece by 3/8" for a total 3/4" reduction in height. The dolly now has 1/2" clearance under the backhoe cross bar.

There are "ears" hanging down at each end of the cross bar and I had to notch the upper 2x6 for the ears to fit down into. The notches also help to center the dolly. Two small pieces of wood screwed to the rear of the front 2x6 keep the dolly make it easy to position the dolly under the backhoe.

I made the front cross piece 22" wide so there is a 1" overhang on each side. My original thought was for the backhoe outrigger structure to rest on the overhang for extra stability. However, the outrigger structure doesn't contact the dolly so I may cut off the overhang at some point.

The backhoe is removed by lowering the boom arm to take the weight off the attachment pins.

Once the pins are removed, the boom is fully raised and the transport pin can be put back in place. The dipper and bucket curl remained tucked in tight. The bucket does not rest on the rear dolly crosspiece, any attachment (or none at all) can be left in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so first of all thank you so much! I have to admit that I have been avoiding this dolly build ever since I ran into problems, so I was a little apprehensive to open the thread! Well, you really delivered with some extremely good pictures and ideas, all using casters almost identical to mine. I'll have to try to work on this next week and post some new pictures.

Thanks so much for the help, I really needed something like this!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Here is my version of a 260B backhoe dolly. The dolly itself is 20" wide by 44" long.

I decided to support the front of the backhoe by putting the dolly under the 2" square cross tube.

On my tractor the bottom of the tube is 8 3/4" off the ground. I bought 5" casters that are a total of 6" tall. With two 2x6s stacked on top of the casters, the dolly would be too tall to fit under the backhoe. I used a forstner bit and chisel to create a 3/8" pocket for the castors to fit into, and notched the cross piece by 3/8" for a total 3/4" reduction in height. The dolly now has 1/2" clearance under the backhoe cross bar.

There are "ears" hanging down at each end of the cross bar and I had to notch the upper 2x6 for the ears to fit down into. The notches also help to center the dolly. Two small pieces of wood screwed to the rear of the front 2x6 keep the dolly make it easy to position the dolly under the backhoe.

I made the front cross piece 22" wide so there is a 1" overhang on each side. My original thought was for the backhoe outrigger structure to rest on the overhang for extra stability. However, the outrigger structure doesn't contact the dolly so I may cut off the overhang at some point.

The backhoe is removed by lowering the boom arm to take the weight off the attachment pins.

Once the pins are removed, the boom is fully raised and the transport pin can be put back in place. The dipper and bucket curl remained tucked in tight. The bucket does not rest on the rear dolly crosspiece, any attachment (or none at all) can be left in place.

Just a heads up, but it appears you may be missing a nut on that silver bracket attaching the backhoe mounting frame to your tractor. You can see it in the first picture you posted. It could be a threaded hole, but it seems like they would have threaded both top holes instead of just one. Hate to have it come apart if it is missing a nut.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dolly

Some great ideas here but I think I will just either weld up one or buy one. I would want wider wheels and a bit wider dolly I think for stability. That said I haven't even picked up my 1025R FILB yet so what do I know?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a heads up, but it appears you may be missing a nut on that silver bracket attaching the backhoe mounting frame to your tractor. You can see it in the first picture you posted. It could be a threaded hole, but it seems like they would have threaded both top holes instead of just one. Hate to have it come apart if it is missing a nut.
Thank you, Jim, you are right! :thumbup1gif: I just went out to check and there is a bolt hanging there with no nut on it. The other nut and the 2 on the other side were also loose. I don't know how many times I was looking under there over the past few days and looking at the pics I took, and I totally missed it. Focused too much on the backhoe itself, I guess. I bet you saw it right away, didn't you? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thank you, Jim, you are right! :thumbup1gif: I just went out to check and there is a bolt hanging there with no nut on it. The other nut and the 2 on the other side were also loose. I don't know how many times I was looking under there over the past few days and looking at the pics I took, and I totally missed it. Focused too much on the backhoe itself, I guess. I bet you saw it right away, didn't you? :laugh:
Well, I did see it fairly quick, but I also used to be a designer/drafter working with curtain wall systems, so little details stand out.
Glad I could help. Glad it wasnt a failure of some kind that made you start looking.
Also makes me want to go check mine out just to see if the 2025 is the same, and if anything is loose on it! Found a couple bolts loose early on and havent checked for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Well I have a 260 & 260B Backhoe Dolley from BXpanded Waiting On Ryan at Bxpanded to finish work On the 260B Backhoe Dolley for the 2025R then The 260B That is in current Production That I have will be will be sent Back to Ryan for resale as I have Never put it together. My old 260 Backhoe Dolley has Now Become My Forks and Bucket Dolley. In order to accommodate the 260B Backhoe from the 2025R the 260B Backhoe Dolley Has to be raised 2 & 1/8 Inches Higher Than the Old 260 Dolley:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Well I have a 260 & 260B Backhoe Dolley from BXpanded Waiting On Ryan at Bxpanded to finish work On the 260B Backhoe Dolley for the 2025R then The 260B That is in current Production That I have will be will be sent Back to Ryan for resale as I have Never put it together. My old 260 Backhoe Dolley has Now Become My Forks and Bucket Dolley. In order to accommodate the 260B Backhoe from the 2025R the 260B Backhoe Dolley Has to be raised 2 & 1/8 Inches Higher Than the Old 260 Dolley:bigthumb:
Are they saying they need a different dolly? I built mine based off the pdf plans someone here posted a while back, and it works fine. A bit more height wouldnt hurt I guess.
Be sure to post some pictures when you get it!

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Are they saying they need a different dolly? I built mine based off the pdf plans someone here posted a while back, and it works fine. A bit more height wouldnt hurt I guess.
The Height of the 260B Current Production BXpanded Dolley is two short for use with the 260B On the 2025R It only good for the 260B on the 1025R:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The Height of the 260B Current Production BXpanded Dolley is two short for use with the 260B On the 2025R It only good for the 260B on the 1025R:bigthumb:

So now I’m confused.
The OP built it off of specs and has the 5” casters. His signature says he has the new 1025 & backhoe.

IJ- says he built it off of specs and it works.

Sergeant- says it works on the 1025 with new back hoe.

Maybe the OP is doing it wrong? He’s definitely got it sitting wrong in the pictures.
Gygomba according to my old dolly as long as the dolly slides under the backhoe you are good. If I remeber right you sit your bucket in right and use the bucket to make the backhoe roll up off the tractor. Look at all our pictures on here and see how we have ours sitting.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
So now I’m confused.
The OP built it off of specs and has the 5” casters. His signature says he has the new 1025 & backhoe.

IJ- says he built it off of specs and it works.

Sergeant- says it works on the 1025 with new back hoe.

Maybe the OP is doing it wrong? He’s definitely got it sitting wrong in the pictures.
Gygomba according to my old dolly as long as the dolly slides under the backhoe you are good. If I remeber right you sit your bucket in right and use the bucket to make the backhoe roll up off the tractor. Look at all our pictures on here and see how we have ours sitting.
Current BXpanded 260B Backhoe Dolley Height is fine for use with the 1025R But the BXpanded 260B Backhoe Dolley is to short(height wise) for use with the 2025R and Ryan at BXpanded is Making a 260B Backhoe Dolley That is Taller Than what is currently In Production so there will end Up being two 260B Backhoe Dolley models One for use with the 1025R and one for use with the 2025R.

When the 260B is Mounted On the 2025R it sits a Lot higher off the Ground Than when it is Mounted On the 1025R.

So if You have a 260B bxpanded Dolley and a 2025R the 260B Backhoe will actually have to Much of a drop dwon to the Dolley the way Ryan designed it for the 1025R was to fit Just Underneath the Backhoe almost touching the under side of the Backhoe when Dolley is underneath. The Bxpanded 260B Backhoe Dolley that is currently In Production sits 6 or 7 inches Underneath the 260B when mounted On the 2025R so if You were to Take the 260B off the 2025R it would actually fall that distance Instead of Just sitting down onto the Dolley That the 260 & 260B do currently for the 1025R.

Hope I didn't confuse you further Hope it Makes since Now. I am only Talking about the BXpanded Dolley's and Not Home Made wood Dolley's:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Looks Like I should Have a New BXpanded Backhoe Dolley for the 260B for use with the 2025R By next week sometime. 1month development is a nice turn around wish all manufacturers were as Fast as BXpanded :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Looks Like I should Have a New BXpanded Backhoe Dolley for the 260B for use with the 2025R By next week sometime. 1month development is a nice turn around wish all manufacturers were as Fast as BXpanded :bigthumb:
Good deal!

I have to say, Im still a bit confused why the height matters too much. Could you measure the height of yours when you get the new one?
When I remove mine, I use the stabilizers to lower it onto the dolly. I guess it might take a step out of the process, but my dolly doesnt sit too close to the backhoe frame before its removed.
I think Im missing something in the removal process.
Now, it could be that my dolly is taller than its supposed to be, and maybe thats why Im not having problems. As I collapse the boom, and everything gets into place, it lifts off the tractor just fine. Maybe if mine were a bit shorter it wouldnt do that. Maybe thats what Im not seeing.

Sorry for all the questions and overthinking of this...its the engineer in me that has to know why something is the way it is.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Good deal!

I have to say, Im still a bit confused why the height matters too much. Could you measure the height of yours when you get the new one?
When I remove mine, I use the stabilizers to lower it onto the dolly. I guess it might take a step out of the process, but my dolly doesnt sit too close to the backhoe frame before its removed.
I think Im missing something in the removal process.
Now, it could be that my dolly is taller than its supposed to be, and maybe thats why Im not having problems. As I collapse the boom, and everything gets into place, it lifts off the tractor just fine. Maybe if mine were a bit shorter it wouldnt do that. Maybe thats what Im not seeing.

Sorry for all the questions and overthinking of this...its the engineer in me that has to know why something is the way it is.
With the New One I won't Have to use stabilizers In the Process all I will do is slid it Under the Back Hoe it drops a 1/8 of a Inch after UN-Pinning and Removing Power Beyond Hose & it's Off.

That is How the 260 BXpanded Backhoe Dolley worked with my 2017 1025R.

Well I would Have to Put the Current 260B Backhoe Dolley Back together as I have it all set up to ship back Once Ryan sends Me the Knew one with a the return shipping Label.

Here is a Picture of the 260 Backhoe Dolley underneath the 260B Backhoe Mounted On the 2025R it's a 2 1/8 inches drop. The new 260B backhoe Dolley for use with the 2025R should close that gap by a further 2inches and eliminate the need to use stabilizers at all in the removal process :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
With the New One I won't Have to use stabilizers In the Process all I will do is slid it Under the Back Hoe it drops a 1/8 of a Inch after UN-Pinning and Removing Power Beyond Hose & it's Off.

That is How the 260 BXpanded Backhoe Dolley worked with my 2017 1025R.

Well I would Have to Put the Current 260B Backhoe Dolley Back together as I have it all set up to ship back Once Ryan sends Me the Knew one with a the return shipping Label.

Here is a Picture of the 260 Backhoe Dolley underneath the 260B Backhoe Mounted On the 2025R it's a 2 1/8 inches drop. The new 260B backhoe Dolley for use with the 2025R should close that gap by a further 2inches and eliminate the need to use stabilizers at all in the removal process :bigthumb:
Thank you! Now I get it.
Looks like I may have to build up my dolly a bit. It would certainly be nice to not have to use the stabilizers for removal.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thank you! Now I get it.
Looks like I may have to build up my dolly a bit. It would certainly be nice to not have to use the stabilizers for removal.
And thats why I was more confused ealrier in the thread when you said it worked fine :lol:
When it’s the right height as mentioned above simple control of the backhoe with pins taken out make the backhoe plate simply roll off the tractor. All the controls and where your feet go just roll up and forward if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
And thats why I was more confused ealrier in the thread when you said it worked fine :lol:
When it’s the right height as mentioned above simple control of the backhoe with pins taken out make the backhoe plate simply roll off the tractor. All the controls and where your feet go just roll up and forward if that makes sense.
Well, thats why I wanted to figure this out. I knew I was missing something somewhere.
Turns out Im doing it the hard way, although its not like there are a bunch of step by step threads on how it works or why, especially with the new 2025.
I need to add to the surface of mine and build it up so I can do the same with it that the BXpanded dolly does. Thats easy enough, just add some plywood where it rests to build up the surface to the right height.
Or maybe just larger diameter wheels on the dolly itself. Or a combination.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts