Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm only at around 50 hours on my 2018 1025R but already one of the 260B stabilizers is leaking around the piston seal. I'm assuming some dirt got in there and has nicked an o-ring. I'm OK with having to deal with stuff like this once in a while - just part of using hydraulics. So I go to the JD Parts Catalog and sure enough they have a seal kit (LVA23232) but they want $60 for it. I understand JD has to turn a profit but that's a lot of dough for some o-rings. And they don't give any sizes or sell the individual o-rings.

So...does anyone happen to know what the sizes are for these o-rings? Yes, I can pull it all apart, measure, then order some o-rings but that's going to be a fair amount of downtime.

And I am a bit surprised that the wiper/scraper setup doesn't do a bit better at keeping dirt out of the piston. Maybe the factory rolled an o-ring during the build and this is an unusual one-time thing, but if I can prevent having to do this too often that would make me happy. I do try to wipe down all the pistons at the end of a day with a clean rag and some hyd fluid, but still, a backhoe is digging in the dirt 100% of the time it's in use. So if anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas for minimizing this type of damage, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I can't imagine this wouldn't be covered under the warranty, unless you are past the 24 months as you certainly aren't past the 1,000 hours. I would talk to the dealership service manager about this......................it can't hurt and likely will save you $100.....plus maybe you can get the old O rings after they replace them so you can measure and have spares on hand for the future.:dunno:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. I'll talk to the dealer but knowing them they'll tell me to bring in the tractor (which will take most of a work day) and then they'll look at it. That would cost me much more than $100. But maybe they'd at least tell me what o-rings I need. But I don't have much faith in them, frankly.

I'll report back on how it goes.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
Hmm. I'll talk to the dealer but knowing them they'll tell me to bring in the tractor (which will take most of a work day) and then they'll look at it. That would cost me much more than $100. But maybe they'd at least tell me what o-rings I need. But I don't have much faith in them, frankly.

I'll report back on how it goes.
Offer to bring the cylinder in to them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update.

Looks like I had the 270 BH part number instead of the 260B - the correct number is LVA23232 (I corrected my original post so I don't send anyone else in the wrong direction). And the cost isn't *quite* as bad - $60 for the (5) o-rings, scraper, and a new nut. No, they didn't have the o-ring specs. And the Parts department wouldn't do warranty coverage without 'inspecting' at least the cylinder. Unfortunately it's 45 minutes for me each way. The service manager wasn't there, so for now I just bought it but will have a follow-up call with him later.

I will measure and post the o-ring info once I get the kit so hopefully that will help the next person that has to replace these seals.

BTW, the replacement cylinder is $702!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Have you inspected the entire piston for any damage? The reason I am saying this is if there is the slightest nick or burr on the chrome it would tear the seal and a new one as well.

I am not saying this is the case, but I have seen this scenario more than once when a cylinder starts randomly leaking, especially brand new.

I also agree that if not damaged I would call for a warranty repair. Bring the cylinder in, it is much easier than the entire machine. You paid good money for it, therefore use your warranty. Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
One of my stabilizers seals just started leaking on my 260 also. A very small leak, and I can't find any nicks or burrs on the cylinder rod. I thought about resealing it sometime, but for now I want to hear what happens with GSM's situation.

:munch:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my stabilizers seals just started leaking on my 260 also. A very small leak, and I can't find any nicks or burrs on the cylinder rod. I thought about resealing it sometime, but for now I want to hear what happens with GSM's situation.

:munch:
I'll have the kit next week and I'll take some pictures 'while I'm at it'...

And I will inspect that rod as PM12dbsinad suggested. I have had a little experience rebuilding hydraulics before and will definitely give it a very close look.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts