Green Tractor Talk banner

2630 Hydraulic Issue

5K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Tx Jim 
#1 ·
I just got a 2630 with a Deere 145 loader, dual remotes that have been converted to Pioneer quick connects and all seemed to be working fine when I looked at and drove the machine before making the purchase. "everything worked" as expected for a 45/46 year old tractor. Got the tractor home and did the normal oil/fluid and filter changes. Screen was dirty as expected ( no metal debris ). Tightened up oil pan bolts, cleaned radiator etc. Generally, did a real good cleaning and servicing. Everything still working fine. Used the loader to move some things. All was good. Hooked up 25A Flail used it for 10/15 minutes to make sure that PTO was working. All was good. Still checking for leaks and just doing overall inspection to make sure that I've got no "major" issues. The only visible issues is a hydraulic line leak on old hose on the loader. Time to put the tractor to work. Hooked up 10' pull type Bush Hog bush hog and went to work. WOW! Great tractor but after a several minutes (10/15) I noticed that the loader had drifted up. So I lowered it back down. After 10/15 minutes it had drifted back up and so had my hog. So, I thinking that maybe I had bumped the remote control lever and cause the hog to raise. So, I think I will move the hose to the other remote because the lever is shorter and closer to the seat and less likely for me to accidentally bump. When I go the back of the tractor to move the hose I have hydraulic fluid coming out of the filler cap under the seat. Back to the barn, removed and cleaned the filler cap and back to hogging. 30 minutes or so of hogging and I have fluid coming out of the filler cap. ???? Thanks for any advise. WJH

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to GTT
Sounds typical when hyd reservoir has been overfilled. Hyd oil dipstick is located at the rear of right footrest. Check hyd oil with engine at idle speed. FEL raising with control lever in neutral sounds as if one of the 4 poppet valves in each control housing is leaking. Poppet valves are easy to replace but can be difficult to properly adjust

#4 ·
well, it wasn’t an overfill issue. It took about 7 3/4 gallons When I put in new oil. Right now I’m going to live with the loader lift issue and hopefully fix the issue causing the oil to come out of the filler cap. Yes the loader has it’s own valve. After 2 or 3 hours working with Deere mechanic we believe we have discovered the problem. We had the filler cap off checking for bubbles, hissing sounds anything that might indicate a high pressure leak causing the hydraulic oil to be extremely hot and overflow. We had the 3 point lift all the way down and out of the way And the filler cap off. Nothing obvious. Since I’m a Massey owner and this is my first Deere he was showing me where This hose went and controlled and what this leaver did and controlled. The lift leaver was down and he just started raising it and showing me draft control and HELLO!!!! When he got the leaver to the top we almost got an oil bath. Oil blew out of the filler hole. “there’s our problem “. played with the leaver some more and every time we bottomed it out it looked like a Texas oil rig. Sooooo time to pull the top off, rebuild the lift valve/cylinder and hopefully but this bad boy to work. Yes, those boots are completely shot and will get replaced. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully no other issues. WJH63

#3 ·
How much hydraulic oil did you use when you did the fluid change? a 2630 should take about 10 gallons.
Is the loader connected to the rear SCVs, or have it's own valve.
Brush rising, is this the 3pt hitch arms raising it? or does it have lift cylinder raising it? My 3pt hitch will raise if I have the L - LD - D lever set wrong. You want it at D

Since it's a "new to you" tractor, if the shift boots are torn/split, replace them! This where water easily gets into the transmission.

#6 ·
I've never seen JD rockshaft control valve seals leak as bad as you stated BUT there's a 1st time for everything. R&R of those seals is a good place to start. If FEL boom raises with ind control valve spool in neutral position then complete ind valve assembly is at fault & needs replacement.

#7 ·
Yep he said he had seen them leak really bad also but never spray oil out the filler hole. He said it is an easy fix that we just need to keep fingers crossed that nothing else is messed and because the way everything else was working he did NOT think that there was anything else wrong "inside". I'll try to remember to get some pictures as we move forward. It will be 2 or 3 weeks before I/we get to it. I got lots of other stuff to get done with the 955K Cat and Massey before the season changes. We did some more looking and the FEL valve and looks like it has been rebuilt before so probably have to get new valve assembly. Thanks Jim (y)

#8 ·
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was that the oil filler cap was blazing hot when I went to remove it. After looking at several (lots) or other post that hot cap indicated that it was a high pressure leak generating all the heat. Until I get the time to open up the tractor, I'm going to raise the lift arms, tie them up to the roll bar and push the lever all to the bottom. Then hook up the hog, work it good and hard and see if this eliminated the leak from filler cap and the super hot filler cap. Maybe this "test" ( if conclusive) will help someone else when try to diagnose a hydraulic issue.

#9 ·
One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was that the oil filler cap was blazing hot when I went to remove it. After looking at several (lots) or other post that hot cap indicated that it was a high pressure leak generating all the heat. Until I get the time to open up the tractor, I'm going to raise the lift arms, tie them up to the roll bar and push the lever all to the bottom. Then hook up the hog, work it good and hard and see if this eliminated the leak from filler cap and the super hot filler cap. Maybe this "test" ( if conclusive) will help someone else when try to diagnose a hydraulic issue.
After 3 hours of bush hogging NO OIL COMING OUT OF THE FILLER CAP! I’ll try to post some pics when I get her opened up.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Got everything R&R’d and all is good. 11.5 inches of rain in the past 3 days and more to come has put everything on hold. Everybody’s river bottoms flooded. Rolled hay sitting in 3 feet of water, corn in 3 feet of water and beans nearly out of site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.