Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was mowing hay and I lost all hydraulics. The hydraulics would return after a restart. The tractor will run for about 3 minutes before it will run out of pressure. I have drained fluid and checked inlet sceen in the sum and checked main filter. These all check out good. I have also pulled the filter bypass valve and it appears to be good. I checked the pressure in the tank about the hydraulic pump while running and it is about 75 pounds until you cycle the hydraulics. Then the pressure drops to zero and slowly returns until the tractor has run for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then you can restart the tractor and the pressure will return. I have also opened the rear filler and look for spraying fluid and I cannot see any fluid spraying around. I also remove the shifters and looked for oil spraying around. I found very little oil moving. The oil appeared to be oil being slung up from the gears. I am at a loss as to where to check now. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Do you have a hi-lo shift, independent pto or reverser? do you have a loader or any other optional hydraulics? There were a lot of changes to the 2640's around 1980. Is your serial number above or below 340,000?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't find a fitting locally to check transmission pressure I even talked with the local deere service manager and he checks the pressure at the reservoir above the pump not at the clutch port. I don't have a flow meter and cannot get in for service for a week or two. The trans pump is supplying 75 pounds to the pump, then when I use the hydraulics and it is hot the pressure doesn't recover until the tractor is restarted.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
Does PTO engaged or disengaged make any difference? I thinking maybe a cracked line to PTO clutch or brake? :dunno: That is bleeding off volume to the front pump from the trans pump.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You mentioned that you checked the main filter. I would be sure to change the filter. They can be clogged and appear ok to the eye when looking at it. Even if it has been recently changed. Also check the steering column housing when running. Does it get hot quickly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The steering column gets warm but not quickly. I just replaced the orings in the steering column about two months ago. I did do a flow test today by removing the filter and letting it flow into a bucket. I was only able to get a half a quart of fluid while cranking the engine for 15 seconds. So I am leaning towards the transmission pump failing.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I changed the filter in the spring of. This year or late last year.
I was taught to perform the easiest diagnostics/cheapest parts replacement 1st. Hyd filter for your tractor is definitely one of JD's parts bargains!!!
AR75603 Filter Element ADD 8.31 USD

You would have a sick feeling if you R&R trans pump & then discover that hyd filter plugging was the hyd problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was taught to perform the easiest diagnostics/cheapest parts replacement 1st. Hyd filter for your tractor is definitely one of JD's parts bargains!!!

You would have a sick feeling if you R&R trans pump & then discover that hyd filter plugging was the hyd problem.
I am going to send the wife to Napa today and get a filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well Tx Jim. It appears the filter was the problem. I feel like a dumb [email protected]$. I didn't realize just how bad the filter was until i opened the new filter and realized how light it is. When I let the filter drain into the bucket it was l of brake material. The more I think about this problem I think I have connected the dots. The tractor was low on fluid and I was using the brakes when turning. This put excessive brake material in the fluid and since it was low on fluid the pump was sucking up all of the brake debris before it could drop to the bottom of the rear end. So from now on I am going to keep a spare filter on hand at all time especially since they are a whopping $8 a piece. Thanks again for all of the assistance

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
Seeing brake material is a huge red flag. There was probably water in the fluid at one point. Water will deteriorate any friction linings within the trans in short order.

IMG_5282.jpg

That is a PTO clutch lining that was exposed to water in the hydraulic fluid. It was only a matter of time before all lining failed.

If you see chunks of lining, be prepared to replace all linings within the transmission.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seeing brake material is a huge red flag. There was probably water in the fluid at one point. Water will deteriorate any friction linings within the trans in short order.

View attachment 237697

That is a PTO clutch lining that was exposed to water in the hydraulic fluid. It was only a matter of time before all lining failed.

If you see chunks of lining, be prepared to replace all linings within the transmission.

When I purchased the tractor it had just had the brake liners and the transmission pump replaced. I have replaced the fluid about three to four times with all but once have been with hyguard. I had hoped that I would quit seeing brake material but every time I change the fluid I keep seeing more debris. The previous owner said he didn't use hyguard. I also didn't use hyduard the first time that I changed the fluid but I am a stickler for the correct fluid now. Maybe what I am seeing isn't brake debris but could be PTO clutch debris. I have never seen any chunky material when I do the fluid and filter changes but I do see brake material. The brake material doesn't seem as bad as it was the first couple of times that I changed it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
cowman79
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could steer you in the right direction. I'm glad you got it going. :bigthumb:

This thread reiterates what I was taught yrs back when employed at JD dealership which follows: Always perform the easiest diagnostics/repairs FIRST. Easy repairs are easy to overlook.
Jim

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
cowman79
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could steer you in the right direction. I'm glad you got it going. :bigthumb:

This thread reiterates what I was taught yrs back when employed at JD dealership which follows: Always perform the easiest diagnostics/repairs FIRST. Easy repairs are easy to overlook.
Jim
Good call TxJim :good2: :greentractorride:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts