Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new here. I broke my steering yesterday on my Deere 2640. I’m thinking about welding it as the steelership wants $760 for a new one. Does anyone know if the bell rank is made of cast steel or cast iron? Thanks so much

·
Registered
715 Posts
I’m new here. I broke my steering yesterday on my Deere 2640. I’m thinking about welding it as the steelership wants $760 for a new one. Does anyone know if the bell rank is made of cast steel or cast iron? Thanks so much
I know nothing about that tractor or specific part, but I would expect something like that to be a forging and not cast.

Al

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,796 Posts
Have you tried All State Ag Parts? They sell for less than half the Dealers Steelers.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Although one needs type of frt axle & tractor serial number to choose correct bellcrank part number A&I parts offers one new bellcrank for $289

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
1) Drill an area that will not affect strength, chips = Steel, dust = iron
2) Spark test, grind, lots of long bright yellow sparks = steel, small, orange sparks = iron
3) Hammer, strike with hammer, rings = steel, thunks = iron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts