Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I have a line on some AG tires for my 318.. The stock sizing is 23x10.5x12 and these new tires would be 26x12x12.. Would these things even fit a 318?.. If so, are they going to raise the rear end of the machine to where it tilts my deck and makes it cut un-evenly or something?..

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
I have seen pictures of 26 inch tires on 318s before, so it's doable. You may have to shim up your fender deck and they may not fit with certain decks. But it's very doable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello Golf12,

Yes & No depending on the actual brand of the tires you have a line on.

If they are Duro brand, they are actual smaller than the advertised size and do fit the 8" wide wheels and work without a hitch.

If they are Firestone brand, these are to be mounted on wider than stock wheels.

Now if they are Tru Power brand, these are designed for the stock 8" wide wheels and do fit under the fender deck fine. I have these on my 332 and if mounted in the narrow position the deck will work just fine. In the wide position the deck will hit the tire when raised more than a couple inches of the ground ...... they work this way but you have to leave the deck in the lower position.

The front tires: the 16" will work but you will need to re-level the deck due to the added 1-1/2 tire height. I run 18" V61 tires on the front to both level the tractor and I like the looks and they work well in all conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the guy on the phone today.. They are good years.. The guy wants $300 for a pair.. Private sale so no tax, but is that a decent price?.. I'm in Ontario Canada..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Goodyear has not made tires for lawn and garden for many years.
Though they may be new they could still be dry rotted on the sidewalls.
Tue Powers here in the states can be had for around $110 per tire.
There is of course tax and shipping but should still come out cheaper than the $300 for the Goodyear's.

If you plan to use the mower I would not replace the rear wheels.I would use the stock 8 1/2 inch wide rim.
With the offset of other rims you can run into an issue of hitting the rear gauge wheels.

AJ

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got it.. Thanks AJ.. I thought that was a little pricey.. I was trying to find info on good year ag tires and I did discover as you said, that they don't make them anymore.. they sold their ag division to some company I've never heard of.. I might take a drive to see them later this week.. If the guy will come down to $200'ish I'll probably give them a shot..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose i should stick with proper sizing..No point in creating other problems while solving one.. Also figure I should support a forum vendor as well so I ordered tru powers from miller.. I was surprised to learn when i called that they have a distributor 30 mins from where I live.. Unfortunately its just a fact of life in Canada though, that each tire is $50 more up here than in the u.s.. It is what it is.. I'd rather have the right tires from a shop that'll back them up if there are problems.. I'll post pics when I get them..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its crazy how different actual sizing of tires can be.. These are the old turf tires I'm replacing with the tru powers.. I set a meter stick level across both tires.. There is a full one inch height difference between these two tires and they are both 23-10.5x12.. One is a good year and the other is a carlisle..

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are the tru powers.. Had them mounted over the weekend.. As you can see in the picture above, I was out of level a full inch due to two different sized tires that were the "same size".. As in they both say 23x10.5x12 but there is an actual full one inch difference in the actual height of the tires.. I wondered all summer long why I could not get my deck to cut level.. I had to screw around with the deck wheels, and had one side adjusted up a full notch higher than the other side.. Little did I know it was because of the tires.. Anyway, I'm very happy with the way these tires look and they ride surprisingly smooth..

Reactions: felixm22 and Kennyd

·
Registered
35 Posts
Golf,
Gotta ask. Are you working on your tractor in the living room before the carpet goes down or do you really have a couch in your shed? :laugh:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ha!.. yeah, its a couch in the shed.. Its where I sit and puff on a cigar when a project stumps me.. So lets say I spend a lot of time on that couch!..

Reactions: ajcan

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
ha!.. yeah, its a couch in the shed.. Its where I sit and puff on a cigar when a project stumps me.. So lets say I spend a lot of time on that couch!..
Sounds like a safe place to catch a nap away from the prying eyes of the misses.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No truer words have ever been spoken Felix!.. ha!

·
Registered
114 Posts
fyi ME Miller tire does sell the Flotation tire.

26x12.00-12 Firestone Flotation 23
Price: $165.00
SKU: 317-438
Brand: Firestone
Condition: New
Weight: 31.00 LBS
Availability: Ships next business day
Shipping: Calculated at checkout

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Tru Powers were a good choice.They look good,have great traction and they clean out well under use.
That is the tire I went with for my 322 that I use for tilling,plowing,loader work.
The dirt falls off/cleans out well under use and they look good too.
Good choice.

AJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same size Goodyears mounted on my 316 without issue or mods, and I love them. But I agree with another poster, I don't think they've made them for years. Tell what though, I have two pairs of weights installed, and without any air in the tires, which are 2 ply, the side walls do not flex what so ever.

ATTACH=CONFIG]24466[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sweet.

I am going to have to consider an upgrade. I take my smoke and do my TMS (ten minute stare) sitting on a milk crate...no room for a couch, but perhaps a folding lawn chair would be a bit more to my liking....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.