Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find or know of someone selling custom fit covers for back hoes? Unfortunately I have to store my 270b out side this winter and I could cover it with a tarp but I would love to find something more custom fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,748 Posts
You don't want anything that would trap moisture. Perhaps something like an inexpensive car cover that would breath.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My pole shed project went out the window with a shoulder rebuild. All inside storage got put on hold.

I have been storing my 260 backhoe outside the last 2 years with no issues.

Locate a spray can of "fluid film". I found it at Walmart and Fleet Farm (local farm supply). I grease all the pins and then spray down the cylinder and spool controls. This stuff puts a greasy/waxy film on. In spring I wipe everything down with low vis on a clean rag. I coat the pin ends and grease fittings also. Then pickup a Tupperware or small plastic tote. I put this over the control levers to keep snow and water off the controls.

Is this ideal? No. Yah do what you need to do I guess.

Mine is due for pickling. I will try to post a couple pics when I get her done.

Reactions: North585

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I agree with both posters.
You dont want to trap moisture, and you want to protect the important surfaces from moisture/corrosion.

I big cheap grill cover might work for keeping it somewhat dry. This time of year, you might be able to find one on clearance somewhere. I know the 270 is a bit larger than the 260, but the cover for my big Weber grill would cover most of the 260 without much trouble and its vented.

Fluid Film is a GREAT product. I have been using it for years for all sorts of things.
Its a bit more work than just covering and hoping for the best, but its probably worth it in the long run.

Incidentally, I was just contemplating an outdoor storage alternative vs inside the garage.
As long as you can keep the direct weather off of the stuff like rain and snow, they should be fine with minor preparation for some things. I considered just adding a sort of lean too off one side of the garage, with pallet racking, and side walls. The rain rarely comes from the side I was going to use, so it might be a good solution.
I much prefer inside storage, but like the other poster said, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Reactions: North585

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Anyone find or know of someone selling custom fit covers for back hoes? Unfortunately I have to store my 270b out side this winter and I could cover it with a tarp but I would love to find something more custom fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know a guy who makes custom covers..... Interested?

Sincerely

Reactions: HelenaMT
1 - 5 of 5 Posts