Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was performing my usual end-of-season clean and grease and discovered the zerk fittings on the right side. The one towards the rear is for the right-rear brake. What is the zerk fitting in front of it (silver bracket in the middle of the photo)?

It doesn't appear to actuate anything and I can't figure out what causes it to rotate.

·
Administrator
21,286 Posts
There’s a handful on the fwd/rev pedals and linkage, but I can’t really tell where I’m looking at on your photo. I don’t recognize what we are looking at exactly.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
These appear to be on the right hand side under the floor board. There are also three on the left if memory serves correctly.

I believe the right and left zerks under the floor boards (5 in total) have to do with the brake linkages.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
Here is a better photo of those zerks. I believe the front one is the parking brake latch.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
Here are the zerks on the LEFT side under the floor board.

·
Registered
24,088 Posts
Thanks to jgayman posting pics like this in the past I always remember now when I get underneath to grease to look for 5 fittings. Sometimes the lower one in his last photo above eluded me but not any more.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
I thought it might be, but when I engaged the brake lock, it didn't move.
It certainly is an overly complicated mechanism. Here is an illustration showing that shaft.

Reactions: LeoC4 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
24,088 Posts
What I find weird about all this is all the grease fittings for the brake linkages but nothing for the hydro pedals. The hydro pedals get constant use and the brakes only very occasionally.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,087 Posts
What I find weird about all this is all the grease fittings for the brake linkages but nothing for the hydro pedals. The hydro pedals get constant use and the brakes only very occasionally.
Same with the 2320. I don't get it either.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
Agree. Then again, maybe that is the genius of it. Since the brakes don’t see much use the linkage could easily get dry and seize. Whereas the hydro pedals see constant use and stay limber.

Reactions: glc and Gizmo2

·
Registered
819 Posts
The one I find odd is the lack of a zerk on the power steering cylinder ball joint. Other than that, you can go through half a tube of grease getting all the zerks. I found two yesterday I'd missed every other time I've greased mine. they were on the bearings for the independent lift shaft under the transmission. Oh, there is one other place that needs a zerk, also a part of the independent mower lift, It's a shaft about 1" diameter that has an arm on it that supports the entire weight of the deck when raised. It makes about 1/3 of a turn, and has a big circlip holding the arm in place. I took mine off, drilled the arm bearing and put a zerk in it. The only other way to lube that would be to disassemble it now and then.

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It certainly is an overly complicated mechanism. Here is an illustration showing that shaft.

View attachment 762753
I depressed the brakes and engaged the parking lock. I was able to find that the "cruise control" couldn't engage. That can't be the only purpose. It would make more sense if pressing either the Fwd or Rev pedal caused the brake parking lock to disengage.

Could something on the subject device be damaged / missing something?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
I depressed the brakes and engaged the parking lock. I was able to find that the "cruise control" couldn't engage. That can't be the only purpose. It would make more sense if pressing either the Fwd or Rev pedal caused the brake parking lock to disengage.

Could something on the subject device be damaged / missing something?
Yes! It would make sense if pressing the pedals disengaged the parking brake. That would have help me avoid driving around with the parking brake engaged when I first bought the tractor! Thank goodness the dealer delivered it with the brakes so out of adjustment that the parking brake hardly did anything. :-(

Reactions: Roger47
1 - 14 of 14 Posts