Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first steps in getting the "Big John" running again went down today. The 2720 got to meet it's Grandpa and help him out.

Say hello to Grandpa

IMG_2589.jpg IMG_2590.jpg

Here we go

IMG_2594.jpg IMG_2595.jpg IMG_2598.jpg IMG_2599.jpg

Almost there. Let's hope the rim holds together

IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2601.jpg IMG_2602.jpg IMG_2603.jpg

Ok, Grandpa's got his new supervisory spot. Now he can tell the 2720 a bunch of stories about the farm.

IMG_2604.jpg IMG_2605.JPG

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Very Cool!

·
Administrator
18,266 Posts
Wow, if those pics don't convince anyone NOT to use calcium in their tires I don't know what will!

Was the 2720 able to pick up the front of the 60?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't try to lift it, just gave Grandpa a push here and there. It was fairly easy to push. The front tires hold air and it steers very well. Used a rubber bungee to hold the wheel in position. Everything worked quite well.

It was kinda funny to watch the one rim lose structure as it was rolling. It left a trail of large rust chunks the entire length of the garage. I used 2x4s as a make shift rail system to guide the tractor and protect the floor. The rim failed and came loose off of the wheel. I had to use a floor jack as a wheel for the last two feet.

Anybody have any 14x38" double bevel rims laying around? :mocking:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
COOL!

How bad is the engine stuck?

At first I thought maybe you were driving it around under its own power, but then I noticed the flywheel was off.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine isn't stuck at all actually. When I went and got it from Oklahoma, my Grandpa wanted to get it running. The real problem is the transmission. It was stuck in two gears at once effectively locking the rear end up. I tried for three days out in the field to un-jam the gears. Ended up getting a loader and lifting it onto my trailer. Later I removed the end counter-shaft bearing (hence the flywheel being removed) and was able to un-jam it. The countershaft was bent like a banana. Well it still didn't want to roll due to the rotted and flat rear tires. The flat spots were about 3 feet long each. My truck would only move it about 2" every time I tried to pull it. I ended up cutting off the tires. That allowed it to roll around pretty easily.

Now we can move onto some trans repairs.:good2:

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Jason,
It's time to go shopping around for old tractor salvage yards. I know there is one in Sikeston, Missouri, and there should be a few near you also.

Gotta say, it's pretty interesting see the old next to the new. I know your 60 has a lot of sentimental value to you, so I hope you can get her going and find the proper shoes for her. You know women love shoes......

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Jason:

By the time you get this project done and document it here, you will have written a book. With your mechanical and writing abilities, it would be a great read for people who like old iron. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Don

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason:

By the time you get this project done and document it here, you will have written a book. With your mechanical and writing abilities, it would be a great read for people who like old iron. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Don
Thanks for the kind words Don!:hi:

This 60 does mean an awful lot to me. I keep telling myself that I'm going to get it in really good mechanical condition and keep it in "work clothes." The other side of me says, if you're going to do something, do it right the first time. That means a paint job.:laugh: My Grandpa couldn't have cared less what it looked like, as long as the job got done.

It'll probably get painted....:mocking:

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Jason:

Did your Grandpa buy the 60 new? Not that it makes any difference, as long as it was his tractor. I have read classified ads in Green Magazine from people looking for tractors by serial number that their Dad or Grandfather had bought.

Don

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Hey Jason, this is going to be a really great journey, THANKS for sharing. :good2:

Regarding the paint, either way would probably be OK for your grandfather, the important part will be the "mechanically perfect restore" that everyone here on GTT are certain you will do.

Restoring an old tractor is something I only dreamed of doing, but due to limited time, limited space, etc, etc, etc, following you through this is the next best thing for me. Again, thanks for sharing and I'm really looking forward to your progress.

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, my Grandpa never bought anything new except for this Farm Pro tractor.

IMG_1394.JPG

His big thing was tinkering. He'd buy a tractor headed for the scrapper and pay scrap prices for them. He'd mess around and get who knows how much time out of them until they weren't feasible to keep going. I'm not sure how he acquired the 60, but he used it for many years until it jammed up. It sat on his farm for 15 years before I rescued it. He has over 50 tractors on his farm. Most of them are good candidates for parts or restoration, if you were able to get past all the "farmer" mods and repairs.:laugh:

He has a B sitting out there that would be cool to have. It's a propane tractor. Pretty common to see propane tractors out there. He really liked them because they were so cheap to run. As far as know, JD never made a propane B. It's either a kit or parts from a 50. Either way it'd be cool to see it running again too. He got the B because it was next to a barn that caught fire. The firefighters didn't fight the barn fire, they kept their hoses on the propane tank. If you look closely, you'll notice the tires are scarred from the heat of the fire. It runs too.

PC160020.JPG PC160025.JPG PC160026.JPG

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The engine isn't stuck at all actually. When I went and got it from Oklahoma, my Grandpa wanted to get it running. The real problem is the transmission. It was stuck in two gears at once effectively locking the rear end up. I tried for three days out in the field to un-jam the gears. Ended up getting a loader and lifting it onto my trailer. Later I removed the end counter-shaft bearing (hence the flywheel being removed) and was able to un-jam it. The countershaft was bent like a banana. Well it still didn't want to roll due to the rotted and flat rear tires. The flat spots were about 3 feet long each. My truck would only move it about 2" every time I tried to pull it. I ended up cutting off the tires. That allowed it to roll around pretty easily.

Now we can move onto some trans repairs.:good2:
Oh brother! You have to wonder, was it running when it got jammed in the two gears? I bet it made a heck of a racket as it locked solid if it was!:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The story goes like this. My Grandpa was pushing some cars with the 60 - backwards. Yup, that's right, backwards. Then it started to climb up unto the hood. He pulled in the clutch and shifted into 2 or 3rd and whammo! As soon as it hit the ground, it jammed into two gears and stalled. It took his D6 to pull the 60 to where I found it. It sat there ever since. He tried to repair it. He had a mechanic come out and he shoved a pry bar into the shifter forks and broke two off. He said it couldn't be repaired. Great mechanic huh? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Diesel- Is the countershaft in the gearbox where the 'Pry Bar Mechanic' adjusted the forks? Or do you think it was bent by the impact of the two gears in one engagement, or subsequent towing? ~Scotty

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The countershaft is rather large in diameter. I'll post a pic later. It was bent definitely by the jamming of the gears. The shifter forks are cast and relatively brittle. The mechanic was just a DA if you know what I mean. :lol:

·
Administrator
20,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your vote does count!

I know my vote does not count......I vote for work clothes. Work clothes tell the history of the tractor. Shiny new paint looks.....like all the rest in the row!! As Forest Gump said about shoes "tells where you come from, where you are goin"
I agree with you whole-heartedly.:good2:

My only problem is that I've always said (and live by), "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right the first time." This decision is going to kill me.....

Thanks for your opinion.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts