Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a new battery in my 2720 fully charged turn on key. No lights on dash or anything no click no nothing jump start it with running truck not enough power and jump box lights and all come on starts right up WHATS WRONG need tractor for feeding animals daily HELP

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm thinking it might be an issue with the wiring. I had that issue with my 1050 a few years ago, and finally had an alternator shop build me a new cable from the battery to the starter, as well as my cable for grounding, and selected a new grounding location on the frame, as the original location was pretty rusty looking, and I was not sure it was making good contact.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
It's an OEM bat from HD
:dunno: HD sells Deere OEM batteries? I know Lowe's carries the OEM batteries for lawn mowers but those are way to small for a 2720. The 2720 OEM battery is a 500CCA battery. The batteries Lowe's carries in store are only 175CCA. (The only OEM Deere parts I can find on HD's website are mower blades and belts.)

But if you are turning over with a jump box but not with jumper cables from your truck, then it sounds like you may have bad battery connectors on teh cable ends. Did you clean those up and remove any oxidation when you replaced the battery? I always check the other ends of the cables for corrosion and tightness too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Bad ground? Had that issue more than once on various machines.
Use electrical/star washers, and some sort of penetrox or dielectric grease, when rebuilding the connections.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
:dunno: Hd sells deere oem batteries? I know lowe's carries the oem batteries for lawn mowers but those are way to small for a 2720. The 2720 oem battery is a 500cca battery. The batteries lowe's carries in store are only 175cca. (the only oem deere parts i can find on hd's website are mower blades and belts.)

but if you are turning over with a jump box but not with jumper cables from your truck, then it sounds like you may have bad battery connectors on teh cable ends. did you clean those up and remove any oxidation when you replaced the battery? i always check the other ends of the cables for corrosion and tightness too.
this

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Check the ground with a volt meter. Ohm it out from the battery terminal to a bare bolt somewhere on the chassis. Should have zero resistance. If that’s good, check positive battery terminal to the starter the same way. Not sure if they use a fusible link or not. Report back what you find.

Sincerely

·
Super Moderator
5,639 Posts
Busted Tractor, just curious what year your tractor is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked wirebrushed all connection's added lithium grease to all connection's made sure battery was fully charged turned on ignition nothing slight pump noise. Added jumper cables off truck battery got some light on dash and glow plugs started nothing but clicks on starter added jump box also got a total reading of 14 volts on tractor battery with all hooked up dash went into full power mode started right up after plug light went out. Still scratching head over this turn off tractor with jump box off and truck cables off and tractor is dead to the world

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Checked wirebrushed all connection's added lithium grease to all connection's made sure battery was fully charged turned on ignition nothing slight pump noise. Added jumper cables off truck battery got some light on dash and glow plugs started nothing but clicks on starter added jump box also got a total reading of 14 volts on tractor battery with all hooked up dash went into full power mode started right up after plug light went out. Still scratching head over this turn off tractor with jump box off and truck cables off and tractor is dead to the world
Where did you hook up the ground for the jump box when you jumped it? If it was not on the battery, and was on the tractor's engine or chassis, you likely have a bad ground. If you did hook the jumper box ground to the battery, you likely have a bad battery.....

Let us know.

Sincerely

Reactions: farmgirl19 and SRG

·
Registered
900 Posts
What is your definition of "all connections"?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did you hook up the ground for the jump box when you jumped it? If it was not on the battery, and was on the tractor's engine or chassis, you likely have a bad ground. If you did hook the jumper box ground to the battery, you likely have a bad battery.....

Let us know.

Sincerely
jumper cables on battery. Jump box on battery also

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Disconnect battery, use a meter to read the voltage and report the results here.

·
Registered
900 Posts
connections battery pos and neg starter alt body grounds frame grounds
Battery negative cable at chassis/frame, cleaned both cable and frame side of that connection? Are you using electrical washers to get through paint?
Paint will stop an otherwise good ground, in it's tracks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is it a wet cell battery and does it have acid in it ( new lead acid batteries are sometime sold dry with separate containers of acid )..or is it agm?....have you had the battery load tested?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts