Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My JD 2755 starts just fine but then shuts off after about 20 minutes of run time. I've checked the fuel system for debris from the pick-up in the tank, past the sediment bowl. The fuel filter has been replaced as well as the fuel pump. There are no abnormal sounds and the motor is not overheating. It simply shuts off, then will not restart for several minutes to several hours. If I try to restart immediately it might sputter weakly or not, then nothing until it sits for a while. After it sits, it will start normally with just a little extra cranking sometimes, then after a few good minutes it will die again. The Tractor has been well maintained and has over 6k hours but no other major issues. It is normally very dependable. This problem is getting beyond my level of expertise to troubleshoot. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem or something similar? Ideas? Anything will be appreciated because the work is getting backed up around here. Mark (central Florida)

·
Registered
20,782 Posts
As a simple test I would try running it with the fuel cap loose. A lot of times the vent in the fuel cap will get plugged and not let air into the tank as the fuel level goes down causing a vacuum.

Hey - it doesn't cost anything.......

And I am the same as rydplrs not knowing much about this tractor - is it gas or diesel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that was a great idea. The JD 2755 has a manual cable operated shut off that seems to be working as designed. A neighbor thought it might be an electrical issue. I have a factory parts manual that has excellent diagrams of components. Wiring that goes to the fuel system will get further study.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a simple test I would try running it with the fuel cap loose. A lot of times the vent in the fuel cap will get plugged and not let air into the tank as the fuel level goes down causing a vacuum.

Hey - it doesn't cost anything.......

And I am the same as rydplrs not knowing much about this tractor - is it gas or diesel?
Its a diesel and a 1990 model without much electronics on it. I should clarify that I put a new fuel transfer (low pressure) pump on it but have not done anything with the injector pump. I'll give the fuel cap trick a try. Stranger things have happened. lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sounds typical for a clogged return line check valve. Check valve is located in fitting on IP that return line attaches to. Remove line & fitting(key 2) from IP then start engine. If engine runs longer than before removing fitting you have located the problem. Clean check valve reinstall fitting & line. I'm not sure if governor drive ring in this type IP deteriorates similar to Roosamaster IP or not.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery solved?

Thanks everyone for some great replies to help getting my workhorse running again. Tx Jim's advice to focus on the IP return line check valve seems to have solved the issue. After the engine dropped dead once again, I loosened the line as he suggested. It started right up again! I'll report back in a couple of days when I get the valve cleaned out, re-installed and tested.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
:bigthumb: thats a good deal tx jims reply worked for u. a cheap fix-no doubt. that twice now, that i remember--probably loads more times--- that tx jims reply worked so good-kudos to ya-tx jim.:good2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test results

Woo-hooo!! The JD2755 ran for more than 4 hours straight without any problem at all. I got pooped and quit. The tree limbs from hurricane Irma are finally piled up out of the way and my wife is pleased. Life is good. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts