Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the mower, turned blades on they came on turned them off and back on and they won't come back on. The switch under seat seems to be good since if mower is running with blade switch on and I get off seat the engine dies. Blade switch has 4 wires to it but I don't know what to check. Any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Started the mower, turned blades on they came on turned them off and back on and they won't come back on. The switch under seat seems to be good since if mower is running with blade switch on and I get off seat the engine dies. Blade switch has 4 wires to it but I don't know what to check. Any ideas?
Kind of sounds like the seat switch if blades won't come back on and engines dies when get off seat. You could install a temporary jumper on the seat switch to test. He's some checks I typed up from the manual. I re-read your post and I am probably off base with the seat switch. I have to go but will try and scan the PTO Circuit Test Points pages for you later, may be next week, sorry.

Transmission Neutral Start Check
Operator on seat
PTO off
Hydrostatic lever in slow forward
Turn key switch to start
Listen, starter must not crank

PTO/Safety Start Check
Operator on seat
Brake Pedal Locked
Transmission in Neutral
Turn PTO on
Turn key switch to start

Starting Circuit Check
Operator on seat
Transmission in neutral
Brake pedal locked
PTO off
Turn key switch to start
Listen, starter must ceank engine, engine must start

PTO Clutch Check
Operator on seat
Brake Pedal Locked
Transmission in Neutral
Engine off
Turn key switch to on position only
Turn PTO switch on
Listen, PTO clutch must click once

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of sounds like the seat switch if blades won't come back on and engines dies when get off seat. You could install a temporary jumper on the seat switch to test. He's some checks I typed up from the manual. I re-read your post and I am probably off base with the seat switch. I have to go but will try and scan the PTO Circuit Test Points pages for you later, may be next week, sorry.

Transmission Neutral Start Check
Operator on seat
PTO off
Hydrostatic lever in slow forward
Turn key switch to start

PTO/Safety Start Check
Operator on seat
Brake Pedal Locked
Transmission in Neutral
Turn PTO on
Turn key switch to start

Starting Circuit Check
Operator on seat
Transmission in neutral
Brake pedal locked
PTO off
Turn key switch to start
Listen, starter must ceank engine, engine must start

PTO Clutch Check
Operator on seat
Brake Pedal Locked
Transmission in Neutral
Engine off
Turn key switch to on position only
Turn PTO switch on
Listen, PTO clutch must click once
Thanks for this info. I think the pro clutch check should be my first thing to do.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
On my 285 the wires to the PTO clutch broke right where they entered the clutch. :nunu:
Only fix was a new PTO clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did the pto clutch test and there is no click? Does the wire plug into the clutch? It just goes in a hole and I can't tell what happens after that. I don't know what is meant be air gap. And would a weak battery cause this. It cranks fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first sign of something wrong my wife mowed the whole yard and said one time it acted like the blades were going to stop but she thought maybe she hit a bump and bounced on the seat. She finished and cut the blades off. She decided to blow the drive off and flipped the switch and they didn't come on. She flipped the switch several times and nothing. So she went to put it in the garage and got off to open the door. When she got back on she decided to try again and she said it sounded like they were trying to run but it didn't sound right so she cut them off. When I got home later she told me and I started it and flipped the switch and they came on normal. I bounced on the seat, they stopped and did not come back on. They have not come on since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long is the pigtail coming off the clutch? I need to find the plug to see if it gets power when I flip switch

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
IIRCC the pigtail is a few inches long, long enough to unplug for your test without pulling the PTO clutch. You may need to pull the deck for room to access it. My 285 is gone, so I can't look to verify.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IIRCC the pigtail is a few inches long, long enough to unplug for your test without pulling the PTO clutch. You may need to pull the deck for room to access it. My 285 is gone, so I can't look to verify.
Must be my lucky day. I followed the wire from the clutch up to the plug and it wasn't plugged in. I guess it was coming unplugged and that's why it was working and then not working at first. I don't have an explanation unless when I had the sheet metal off to get to the gas tank a couple months ago maybe I pulled on the wire and got it loose. All is well now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts