Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......I think! Got a call from my Amish Craftsman that he wanted to get the "Hole-Driller-Guy" out there today. I'll try to do a photo log simular to KennyD's, but being realistic, it won't be as comprehensive. I'm only out there on weekends, and I'm not sure what their (Amish) acceptability is to photos. I do know that some 'sects' are totally against it. I'll do what I can without 'offense' to anyone. Happy 4th folks! Be safe, and enjoy your families! God Bless the USA!!!! ~Scotty

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Can't wait to see the pictures Scotty:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
Well it's day two now, need pictures.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Well it's day two now, need pictures.
Where's the pictures of yours?:wink::mocking:

I guess we are going to need a Pole Barn Forum soon since we have all these threads on buildings lately:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
where's the pictures of yours?:wink::mocking:

I guess we are going to need a pole barn forum soon since we have all these threads on buildings lately:laugh:
My pictures? All in good time.
As for the Pole Building (Barn) forum............DUH! Sooner the better. Later is definitely harder.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't wait to see the pictures Scotty:good2:
Ok- I'm the worst at resizing, and posting Pics,. But here goes It going to be 28'x40'.

First and Second and Sixth, are the Amish Work Wagon, (One HP tied up on the Right) with my white pine sheathing, back from the band mill. Third Forth and show the poles up. I really tried to respect the Amish destain for cameras, and Photos, although there's a couple 'straw hats' in frame three. More to follow, If these work. ~Scotty

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We took Sunday to 'skid' some of the blow-down logs out to the road with a very 'impromtu' skidding arangement! I 'nixed' the log arch for 'time and money' along with the few times I'd use it, for a log dragging 'tong' at TSC for $42-! Yeah, cost me some paint on the tiller, but we could back up, 'short chain' the logs, and get them where the needed to be for the log truck at the road. Nothing bent, broken or anyone hurt(!), and rather effortlessly. Guess thats a good day! Here's acouple pics of that effort:

Yeah it looks like a 'cobbled-up' operation, and it was, but We got-er-done and now I've got another 13 logs 10'-16' at the road, off to the mill, that would otherwise just 'rot' in the woods! What am I using these for? Don't know! Maybe a "Cathouse' :lol:, I mean a Hen, or Outhouse..........I don't know, just didn't want to waste the solid wood. First two pics are the rigging, third the results duly identified, and last "Miller Time". Hope ya'll had a great Holiday weekend! Chime-in! ~Scotty

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Nice pictures Scotty :thumbup1gif:You did great!

Do you have iMatch? The top hook on it makes a great place to hang tongs from when moving logs...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hey Scotty, you're doing great on the project as well as this thread. Thank you for sharing your project. I know it isn't easy to shoot pics in the middle of a project. Actually, kind of a nuisance and a bother. Looking forward to see it all done and moving in day. :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pictures Scotty :thumbup1gif:You did great!

Do you have iMatch? The top hook on it makes a great place to hang tongs from when moving logs...
No, Ken, I don't! But what I'm learning is two things. The 4200-4300-790 Series is just about perfect for my needs. I'm sold on the Compact Tractor size. I'd Like a bit more HP out of my 4200, and if I could 'pull the trigger' on an 'addition' with something just a 'wee' bit bigger, that would be nice. Notice I said "add"! I'm finding in my relitively new ownership that the Tiller's on when I want the Backhoe, and I can't put the Belly-Mower onn when I've got yada yada yada..........! Also could use R-1 Ag tires on one when I like the Industrial R-4's (?) lawn areas! Can you write me a 'note' that tells my wife that I'm entitled to at least one, if not two additional tractors? Note: She doesn't own any firearms, nor would know how to use them.......:mocking:...........~Scotty

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
No, Ken, I don't!
OK, didn't you buy some hooks for the bucket? They would be a nice place to hang tong's from also:wink:

The 4200-4300-790 Series is just about perfect for my needs. I'm sold on the Compact Tractor size. I'd Like a bit more HP out of my 4200, and if I could 'pull the trigger' on an 'addition' with something just a 'wee' bit bigger, that would be nice. Notice I said "add"! I'm finding in my relitively new ownership that the Tiller's on when I want the Backhoe, and I can't put the Belly-Mower onn when I've got yada yada yada..........! Also could use R-1 Ag tires on one when I like the Industrial R-4's (?) lawn areas!
So you want a tractor for every implement? Yeah-good luck with that:laugh:

Can you write me a 'note' that tells my wife that I'm entitled to at least one, if not two additional tractors? Note: She doesn't own any firearms, nor would know how to use them.......:mocking:...........~Scotty
Not a chance brother:nunu:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and story Scotty, always fun interesting to see a new building going up. Are you siding the building in wood?

If a guy done allot of logging this might be a handy tool for dragging the logs into a pile. I'm going to call my friend who owns a weld shop and see if he might have an approate grade of steel I can use make the drive in pike.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/forestry/log_grab.html

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pictures and story Scotty, always fun interesting to see a new building going up. Are you siding the building in wood?

It'll be 'Board/Batten' siding w/ the white pine that you see in one of the first pics! That way if my boys want to pull off the battens [somewhere 'down the road'] they can side it with vinyl or steel and have a good solid surface to work with. The roof will be steel on purlins, however I am going to 1/2" sheet the portion of the roof above the second floor storage area. The way my carpenter builds these, is to put a 'knee-wall at the Gambrel Roof 'break-point', so if I sheet the roof in that area with Plywood, I could then sheet the inside of the knee walls with OSB and have a nice 20x40 'tight area' that could become a 'Bunk-House' or full apartment! (Not that I would ever do that without approvals)! That's my vision! But that said, it will probably get fill up with useless trash before that occurs! Thanks for the interest.~Scotty

While I'm at it I might as well cover the lower level. I plan a 9x10 roll-up door on the right, and a 7x8 roll-up on the left, with a man door next to it on the left corner. Now I'm thinking that I might set another post along the rear wall. That would enable me to frame another rough-opening in the back for another 9x10 foot roll-up in the back. That would give me the possiblity of a 9x10 foot 'drive-thru' bay on the right, as you look at the photos. I'd probably side over it at this point, but the framing would be there for the future...~S

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KennyD...................

You are a "wise" man indeed! I wouldn't write that 'permission-slip' either, but had to ask........:lol:

~Scotty

·
Registered
771 Posts

It'll be 'Board/Batten' siding w/ the white pine that you see in one of the first pics! That way if my boys want to pull off the battens [somewhere 'down the road'] they can side it with vinyl or steel and have a good solid surface to work with. The roof will be steel on purlins, however I am going to 1/2" sheet the portion of the roof above the second floor storage area. The way my carpenter builds these, is to put a 'knee-wall at the Gambrel Roof 'break-point', so if I sheet the roof in that area with Plywood, I could then sheet the inside of the knee walls with OSB and have a nice 20x40 'tight area' that could become a 'Bunk-House' or full apartment! (Not that I would ever do that without approvals)! That's my vision! But that said, it will probably get fill up with useless trash before that occurs! Thanks for the interest.~Scotty

While I'm at it I might as well cover the lower level. I plan a 9x10 roll-up door on the right, and a 7x8 roll-up on the left, with a man door next to it on the left corner. Now I'm thinking that I might set another post along the rear wall. That would enable me to frame another rough-opening in the back for another 9x10 foot roll-up in the back. That would give me the possiblity of a 9x10 foot 'drive-thru' bay on the right, as you look at the photos. I'd probably side over it at this point, but the framing would be there for the future...~S
Nice plans Scotty and that wood siding is going to look beautiful.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Looks like a beautiful location for the barn also. Good job with the photos.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
BTW Scotty, I am following this but the Old-fashioned-drive-in-movie-screen-Its-Intermission-Time-Folks.png is killing me. :munch:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 'Barn Saga' continues.........

Well.........A quick update! For those of you that haven't followed my threads in the "Off-Topic" forum, This morning, I finally hauled the last of our milled pine to the barn site. I was pleasantly surprized to see some progress! Guess it goes back to that old question: "If an Amish Craftsman drives nails in your new barn, and no ones around, does it make a noise???? Well I don't care if it did or not! At least we've got something happening!!! Pictures below, more to follow.They got some of the rafters up, and enough support to stockpile the 3/4" second floor 'flooring', under the blue tarp.~Scotty

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Wow Scotty, it's looking great.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts