Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some clearly do better than others, but all in all, entertaining to watch:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
Plowing

Watching that makes me realize just how good my Dad was at setting up a plow. They were usually much bigger plows but the expectation was that the field would be flat and level after plowing with one furrow completely filling the next. No ridges, no low spots. Once the plow was set up, it was just getting the speed right. The land had to be right as well but unless there was some critical issue, we tried to not plow if it was too wet. It's just miserable running a disk the first time over a rough plowed field!

Fun video, I haven't plowed in years as we switched first to a chisel plow and then to no-till before renting the crop land to someone else. Now our local Soil and Water Conservation District has a rain simulator demo that shows water infiltration on plowed ground, lightly tilled ground, no-till and pasture that's been rotational grazed. The real surprise is that plowed ground doesn't accept water (rain) very well. Plowing destroys the natural structure and there's much more run off. For years and years, we plowed thinking we were helping water infiltration. Video: Rainfall Simulator Demonstration | Tillage content from Corn and Soybean Digest

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was there last year and will be there this year.Remember no till no fun!!!:thumbsdown:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts