Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was clipping pasture with my 2940 the other day. I had the 3 point raised and when I was done and idled the tractor down the hydraulic pressure light came on and the hydraulics were slow and cattery. When I looked in the hydraulic filler with the 3 point raised I saw oil spraying it looks like it's coming from the 3 point cylinder. It stops spraying when I move the lever down an inch or two and sprays when the lever is all the way back. After the tractor cools down all hydraulic function is normal. I have noticed a few times when starting it cold the PTO is running with the lever in the off position, when moving the lever to engage the PTO and back to off the PTO stops turning. What kind of a project is it to replace the piston seals on that cylinder? I assume it wouldn't be too bad once the seat and rock shaft cover is removed.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
If your tractor is open station then R&R of rockshaft housing isn't too difficult. Tractors with cab pose more RS removal problems. My guess is failed RS control valve seals are more at fault than RS piston seal.

PTO spinning at initial start of engine indicates low trans pump pressure to pto brake band. How long since hyd filter was changed & suction screen checked/cleaned?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tractor is open station. I cleaned the suction screen last week, and checked the filter it's clear. The filter was replaced about 40 hours ago, we had to replace the PTO clutch discs. Is it a good idea to put new seals on the RS Piston when the cover is open? Tractor has 9,800 hours on it the 3 point leaks off if we are using the sawdust blower to move sawdust and shoveling out of the blower, we notice it doesn't hold for very long a couple minuets sometimes and it can be noticed.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Yes replacing rockshaft piston seal when replacing RS control valve seals is recommended. After RS housing is returned with new seals I'll suggest to adjust L/D control mechanism as outlined in JD 2940 tech manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.