Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Ill be getting one, I cant wait to make a "Boom" for it for lifting over a truck bed side with a chain
maybe a 2 inch square tubing with a clevis on the end. This new adaptor will be the hot ticket!

·
Registered
61 Posts
New tractor guy here. Great looking product! Now for the embarrassing part, what can I do with it? I got the obvious trailer hitch applications, but are there other pieces that fit this that I am unaware of ?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Chris, I am assuming that this will only fit the Artillian fork frame. Am I correct in that? When I bought my used 990 it had the JD PF. So of course I would love it if it would fit that as well but my guess on that is that it wont.

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is great! I just ordered one from your site and look forward to getting it next week.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DrFeelgood said:
New tractor guy here. Great looking product! Now for the embarrassing part, what can I do with it? I got the obvious trailer hitch applications, but are there other pieces that fit this that I am unaware of ?
Hi Dr,

The most common use would be as a trailer mover or for a hay bale spear, but 2in receiver hitches are used for all sorts of creative applications these days. Here are a few. Mouse over the images below for a description if they aren't obvious. Thanks for asking!

sprayer.jpg bale spear.jpg trash pump.jpg

carryall.jpg fence wire.jpg pull.jpg

pulley.jpg gas powered winch.jpg log splitter.jpg

salt spreader.jpg toolbox.jpg seeder.jpg

:laugh: cookout.jpg :laugh: fishing seat3.jpg :laugh: bumperdumper.jpg :laugh:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
robpm said:
Chris, I am assuming that this will only fit the Artillian fork frame. Am I correct in that? When I bought my used 990 it had the JD PF. So of course I would love it if it would fit that as well but my guess on that is that it wont.
Hi Rob,

This attachment will "fit" any pallet fork frame with an ITA Class II configuration (16" top to bottom), to which the vast majority of fixed pallet forks frames conform.

However, the catch here is that the ends have to be open. If your frame has a built in backrest welded onto the ends of the rails, this adapter won't be able to get onto your frame. For best integrity and cost effectiveness, these adapters are made to slide on from the side.

This is one of the reasons why the Artillian backrest attaches on the back of the frame instead of mounting on the ends like many frames; so the fork frame can be used for a wide variety of tasks instead of just being pallet forks, which has been the goal since day one.

There is a dim light at the end of the tunnel, though. As larger implements are developed for the Artillian frame, they won't be able to slide on from the side. Those are going to have to clip on. This clip on approach can be applied to these smaller add-ons for other brands of fork frames, albeit more costly. But with all of the other projects waiting to be developed, it will also be some time for this, unfortunately.

Without meaning to be solicitous, perhaps you might consider selling your existing set and coming over to the dark side. :laugh: :drinks:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is great! I just ordered one from your site and look forward to getting it next week.
Thanks DSC,

Hopefully it won't be long. It's all up to the coater's schedule now, which can vary.

Here is one before finishing. These things are a beast but only weigh about 38lbs (17kg). The best part is that you can CLEARLY SEE what you are trying to hook up to (such as when being used as a trailer mover).

2012-09-26_14-47-43_982.jpg

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hi Rob,

This attachment will "fit" any pallet fork frame with an ITA Class II configuration (16" top to bottom), to which the vast majority of fixed pallet forks frames conform.

However, the catch here is that the ends have to be open. If your frame has a built in backrest welded onto the ends of the rails, this adapter won't be able to get onto your frame. For best integrity and cost effectiveness, these adapters are made to slide on from the side.

This is one of the reasons why the Artillian backrest attaches on the back of the frame instead of mounting on the ends like many frames; so the fork frame can be used for a wide variety of tasks instead of just being pallet forks, which has been the goal since day one.

There is a dim light at the end of the tunnel, though. As larger implements are developed for the Artillian frame, they won't be able to slide on from the side. Those are going to have to clip on. This clip on approach can be applied to these smaller add-ons for other brands of fork frames, albeit more costly. But with all of the other projects waiting to be developed, it will also be some time for this, unfortunately.

Without meaning to be solicitous, perhaps you might consider selling your existing set and coming over to the dark side. :laugh: :drinks:
Chris, thanks for the info. I will check them tomorrow just to verify. I do think that there are stops on it but I don't remember that it was because of the backrest being welded there. But I will check and let you know.

Rob

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Awesome work Chris! I could use something like that more than once or twice! Any plans to expand to the larger equipment (4 & 5 series) and/or SSQA? Probably isn't the market for it, but I can tell you that I would definitely own one if I had a smaller tractor:good2:

I suggest you check out Chris' website:
Artillian Tractor Attachments

What he's selling is pallet forks on steroids. There's a whole lot of stuff you can do besides 'fork'.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hi Rob,

Chris I went and took some pics of my JD PF. They just have a little piece welded onto the sides to keep the forks from falling off. The nice thing is that the backrest is bolted on as well so one can remove it if they so desire. I guess if I just cut one of these stops off I could use your 2" receiver.

Here are the pics of the JD PF for reference:

sIMG_0001.JPG sIMG_0002.JPG

sIMG_0003.JPG sIMG_0004.JPG

sIMG_0005.JPG sIMG_0006.JPG

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rob,

The only complications I see are the end tabs you mentioned at the ends of your rails and the height of your fork rails. The Artillian adapter is designed for 3" tall rails, top and bottom. Your rails look like they are 4" or more. The adapter bulges into the space between the rails for increased strength, though it isn't essential to have it there. If you wanted to use one of these adapters on your forks, you would simply want to plan on grinding a small amount of the steel away on these areas of the adapter. It would probably be a very small amount. If you could wait a while, I could have one made with a flat back and sure to fit.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hi Rob,

The only complications I see are the end tabs you mentioned at the ends of your rails and the height of your fork rails. The Artillian adapter is designed for 3" tall rails, top and bottom. Your rails look like they are 4" or more. The adapter bulges into the space between the rails for increased strength, though it isn't essential to have it there. If you wanted to use one of these adapters on your forks, you would simply want to plan on grinding a small amount of the steel away on these areas of the adapter. It would probably be a very small amount. If you could wait a while, I could have one made with a flat back and sure to fit.
Chris, I didn't measure it yet but you are probably right. I will seek to get a measurement on Friday when I am home. I am interested. How much is it if you were to make it so it would work on my PF? I am not in any rush at this time so time is on both our sides. I like the idea and I like the boom idea as well. There seem to be a lot of good ideas in having this capability.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob,

I'm thinking of a couple of other observations. The distance between the top of the top rail and the bottom of the bottom rail should be just short of 16". And then each rail has a step down. What is the distance between the step down of the top rail to the step down of the bottom rail? Or, assuming they are the same, what is the dimension of the step down itself? I'm guessing about 3/8-1/2"

Also, the rail notches for the fork pins are shallower on your fork set than the Artillian's. These notches are used for the locating pins. If the notches are too shallow, the pin won't pass through and would likely need to be ground down a bit, just to mention.

As for the cost of making these with a flat back, it shouldn't be a concern. It's more about finding the time to make the change and then getting it through the gamut with all of the other things in process. On the other hand, an existing one could just be touched up to fit your frame, and that would be pretty easy once the height of your rails is known.

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts
For anyone curious, here's a little video highlighting the new Receiver Hitch Adapter in use. I just love this thing!
That's very cool Chris, most anybody could find that useful. Thanks for sharing:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,681 Posts
Your video was nicely done Chris. Makes me want one too. :good2:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks gents!

It's incredibly handy to be able to move the trailer around so easily. No more backing the truck up 10 times to line up with the ball. Now it's actually being put to use for more than just road hauling.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for posting the video. Just another reason as to why you and I should be talking hopefully soon about acquiring a set of light weight pallet forks.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Mr. W. I just hope the delivery driver doesn't have trouble finding you, considering your screen name...:laugh:

Ok, so that wasn't my best joke of all time...:tongue::flag_of_truce:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts