Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an all around tractor for my yard. I live on 3 acres and have a 300ish foot driveway. I need a snowblower and nice size deck to mow the grass. I have been looking at everything from the x700 to a 3320. Seems to me the 2520 might be the machine.

What would you guys suggest as a size of the machine and options. Any info would help as my dealer seems to want me to go big or go home.:drama:

·
Registered
26 Posts
If its a finish lawn, the 3000 is usually to large for only 3 acres and tight turns...but it really depends on the layout....

I really like the 2520 (I have one) or the 2720 - and for mowing the 2720 having more HP over the 2520 and because of that really dosent need the 3 sp hydro. You can mow with it, even on mild inclines in most cases.... the lower speed gear is a little faster than the 2520 too...

Find out if the 7 iron is available with these machines....that is really the deck to have -

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I have a 2520 with a 72" deck and have not looked back since. I also have 2.8 acres all mowed. You will be surprized at how manuverable and adgile it is. I thought there would be times I would dred the large deck but do not regret it for one minute. It saves me a ton of time. I also have the brush and blower. I have the 2305 as well and feel the any of the 2000 series would suit you well.

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
The 2520 is a great all purpose tractor, sounds like it would fit the bill for yor described use.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Fordguy,
What RandyM stated about the 2520 being agile,that is a big thumbs up. For its size,you wouldn't believe how maneuverable it is. It sure impressed the heck out of me.
If you think you need the extra from the 2720 or even one of the 3000 series, well they say more is better. But IMHO,I think you would be very satisfied with the 2520. My.02

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never knew you could put a 72" deck on a 2x20. What is a 7 iron deck?

Can I mow with R4's? or do I need turfs.. Whats better in the snow. Would I need chains? anyone have pictures of their setup?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Fordguy,
The 7 Iron is stamped out of 7 gauge steel which is pretty close to 3/16. It's a really strong deck. It's 5.5 inches deep too. It's mainly for commercial,but a lot of guys like it. The only thing is the wider the deck the more it will scalp. If your ground is fairly flat,you're GTG. I have a 62" and it scalps in places,so I could imagine what another 10" would do.
I run R4's and love 'em.
Chains,I would say yes,unless your tires are loaded.
After my first winter this year,I will be getting chains for sure.

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tires loaded with salt water on a lawn tractor? Seems like it might make tracks in the lawn? I will have to look into the 7 iron. Can I mow with a loader on?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Greg is correct on the scalping issue. However I have found that by mowing 3" or longer really reduces this. The 2520 was the smallest machine I could put a 72" deck on. Mine is not the 7 Iron and I really like it. It is very heavy and sturdy, a beast. I am very happy with the cut.

I also run the R4s, unloaded. I use ballast if ineeded and works well for me.

Everything I have read says I can run with the loader on with the deck. I acually did have both on at one time but have found that it is way better to not have the deck on when doing loader work, as well as the other way around. For the LITTLE time it takes to mount and unmount the loader or the deck I really do not have to think twice. I think the added unstability of having the loader on for mowing and the potential to run into things is just not worth having the loader on (I do mow on hills).

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
-I mow with unloaded R4'a all the time, my machine is the same size as the 2520.
-The 72" MMM won't fit on all the 2x20series, just the 2520 and the 2720.
-I do not believe the "7-Iron" is available for these machines, but the standard decks are rock solid!
-You can have the MMM and FEL mounted at the same time, but mowing with the loader mounted is a PITA-it adds a lot of weight to the from and maneuverability is severely compromised. Take the FEL off is so easy on these machines, there is no good reason to leave it on. Yo can also just removed the bucket very easily.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
As Randy and Ken stated,once you get the hang of mounting and unmounting the deck and loader,it's a snap to do. IMO,you don't want to have the loader attached for mowing.
It for sure would be a PITA. Also as stated,the drive over decks are very well built.

Greg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked with the dealer. He said a 72 is too much for that tractor and recomended a Z925 to mow and this to take care of the yard and snow.

I think its time I go to another dealer. Can I get a drive over in the 72?

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The 62D is bad enough to move around. I wouldn't want to wrestle a 7 Iron. I think the 62D is around 285 pounds,so the 7 Iron is probably well over 300.
Strange that a heavier deck isn't a drive over.:think:

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
You guys are correct my 72" deck is not a drive over or 7 Iron, and it is heavy, not sure of the weight.

FordGuy, not sure why your dealer would claim the 72" deck is oversized for the 2520, but JD and I both feel it is a very good fit. I am thinking he wants more of your $$$$. I am extreamly statisfied with my setup. The extra foot of deck has significantly reduced my mowing time from 3.5 hrs to 2.5 hrs. Mind you I have not tried mowing grass that is thick and a foot or more tall, but then I would think that would slow down any machine. I am of the firm believer that size does matter rather than speed for decreasing your mowing time. The mounting and unmounting of the deck is sooooo easy and effortless I really do not find the need for a drive over. Now mind you, in my situation I have a smooth concrete floor for this. Anything less I it would be a huge struggle. Once the deck is removed from the tractor I use the loader or an engine crane to lift it for storage and service. This is what works for me. You need to consider your situation and make your best decision. Hope this helps. Oh one more thing, go to Deere's site and check out the attachements available for your model. It has a lot of good spec's if you have not already done so.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to this page and they list a 72D AutoConnect Mid-Mount Mower but there is no camera next to it. Does that mean there is no picture or that it will not fit?

Randy, I think my dealer is thinking about money, and I think he is lacking in experience in this size machine. I am also, so it makes it hard when you put two dummies together in the same room. Keep the sugegestions going as I plan to build the machine online soon.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
FordGuy,

If there is no camera next to that option on the Deere site then that option is not available for that model. At least that is the way I have always understood it. I also have not seen anything in Deere's literature to the opposite. It will also be confirmed on your "build your own" as to what is and isn't available.

Also, one thing to rememeber, when we all were born we know nothing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a bummer. I thought I could get the 72" in a drive over.

Now I am trying to decide between the 2720 and 2520. For the little difference it seems like go big or go home?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
What a bummer. I thought I could get the 72" in a drive over
Something just does not compute.
If the 72" is available with the AutoConnect option,what good is it if it's not a drive over??

Greg

·
Administrator
21,290 Posts
Something just does not compute.
If the 72" is available with the AutoConnect option,what good is it if it's not a drive over??

Greg
The auto-connect thing is only for the 3x20's. And it is a drive-over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts