Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas/suggestions from you smart fabricators out there!

Problem: I have the artillian pallet fork frame with a 2” receiver in the middle:

What I’d like to do is to be able to use this limbsaw: https://limbsaws.com/shop/ols/products/limbsaw-company-hydraulic-20-chainsaw

In the existing receiver in the fork frame.

The limbsaw needs a 3” receiver (and comes with one):

But I don’t want to hack up my bucket to bolt that 3” receiver on it. It’s easy to “reduce” a 3” down to 2.5 or 2” using an adaptor....but I can’t find anything on etrailer or with an internet search that I could put an “expander” into the fork frame that would allow me to slide the limbsaw into it?????

The saw only weighs 90lb so I’m pretty confident the 2” receiver would handle it without issue. You use the weight of the saw to cut so you’re not even exerting any downforce.

I’d think there would be something I could use....now if I could weld (I want to get a welder and learn but other things have taken priority...like a way to trim trees from my tractor)....lol....but perhaps the only way to do this would be to fab up something?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,953 Posts

I’d think there would be something I could use....now if I could weld (I want to get a welder and learn but other things have taken priority...like a way to trim trees from my tractor)....lol....but perhaps the only way to do this would be to fab up something?
Do you have a local weld shop in your area? It should be fairly simple and not that expensive to have them weld up the appropriate sized square tubing to adapt your saw to the existing receiver hitch.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a local weld shop in your area? It should be fairly simple and not that expensive to have them weld up the appropriate sized square tubing to adapt your saw to the existing receiver hitch.
I’d assume I could find one...so I’m not wrong or missing something super easy/obvious; that something would have (and could) to be fabricated up? To a non-fabricator and non-welder it seemed pretty easy/straight forward to take 3” receiver and merry it up to a 2” with some metal connectors; weld it properly for strength with a hole to pin it into the fork frame receiver and a hole to pin the saw into the 3” piece. Done.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think if you build an adapter to hold the 3" out in front of the 2 1/2" you might be asking for trouble with the saw hanging way out there. Even though the saw is fairly light there is a lot of leverage working against the mount when it is up in the air and leaning forward. For the same reason, I think bolting the saw mount on top of your bucket as it looks like they intended is an even worse plan. Your idea to use the fork frame is a good one.

If I were faced with your dilemma I would cut the existing receiver out of the frame and weld in a 3" or add a 3" receiver right above the existing one. If you go with replacing the smaller one, adapters to size the 3" back down are readily available. A weld shop could do it in no time at all without compromising the fork frame and you would have the saw mount secured for good.

After you get it figured out and all your trees trimmed, go ahead with your plan to get a welder and learn to use it. Then little issues like this will be fun projects rather than problems. Good luck!

·
Administrator
20,848 Posts
I think Tim misspoke when he said it was a 3" receiver in the video..it was confirmed in this thread that they are 2.5".

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Tim misspoke when he said it was a 3" receiver in the video..it was confirmed in this thread that they are 2.5".

I was confused by their response when I was trying to clarify:

When 3 and 2” was referenced I began to question which was the correct answer lol. The second line in first screenshot made it more so....

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I received my 10ft hoses from Kenny yesterday. Thanks again Kenny.

Without the extension hoses to tie the saws into my 3rd function there hadn't been a need to mess with putting them together yet.

I guess its time to crack open the boxes the saws came in and see what size those receivers actually are.
The Limbsaw's tech guy emailed me that they were 2.5" receivers .

Now based on some of these post here, I am now curious if there wasn't still some confusion there.

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts

Problem: I have the artillian pallet fork frame with a 2” receiver in the middle:

What I’d like to do is to be able to use this limbsaw: https://limbsaws.com/shop/ols/products/limbsaw-company-hydraulic-20-chainsaw

In the existing receiver in the fork frame.

The limbsaw needs a 3” receiver (and comes with one):

But I don’t want to hack up my bucket to bolt that 3” receiver on it. It’s easy to “reduce” a 3” down to 2.5 or 2” using an adaptor....but I can’t find anything on etrailer or with an internet search that I could put an “expander” into the fork frame that would allow me to slide the limbsaw into it?????

The saw only weighs 90lb so I’m pretty confident the 2” receiver would handle it without issue. You use the weight of the saw to cut so you’re not even exerting any downforce.

Cheers!

I agree 100% it would have been nice had they simply either fabricated a 2.5-3" whatever it actually is fork attachment receiver device, or simply made it a standard 2" so it could have worked with countless fork attachment options already available .

Reactions: tankerpilot01

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree 100% it would have been nice had they simply either fabricated a 2.5-3" whatever it actually is fork attachment receiver device, or simply made it a standard 2" so it could have worked with countless fork attachment options already available .
Exactly! That’s my only point here and the TTWT post is that to me they didn’t really think their mounting solution all the way through....

Reactions: cc1999

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am also interested in the consideration that the wt of the tool at that distance as it translates to the fork frame and loader (if there is any twist). Which fork frame do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I am also interested in the consideration that the wt of the tool at that distance as it translates to the fork frame and loader (if there is any twist). Which fork frame do you have?
I have 3 fork frames and 2 sets of forks.
1 is a very light weight Frontier frame with 36" forks, that I bought specifically for my 2025R . I have two Titan fork frames that are noticeably heavier and 1 set of 48" forks on one of them and a HH weight setup on the other.

I admit I am a little bit concerned about the way my forks can flex and shift around a bit on the Titan frames.
I am not sure if Tim's forks shift around any on his Artillian frame.
I am pretty sure Tim is running an Artillian pallet fork setup.

I have seen Tim put his forks on upside down for added reach and they still looked really solid in the video he did that in.
I recall thinking wow how clever was that idea. I had never thought of that approach before.
I was actually thinking of trying that flipping it upside down idea for the Limbsaw.
I am thinking that would improve reach and visibility of the entire saw.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Why not cut the 2” receiver out and weld a 3” in its place. Then use a reducer to use the 2” stuff. Shouldn’t take more than an hour or 2 to weld in a 3” receiver.

·
Premium Member
15,953 Posts
Why not cut the 2” receiver out and weld a 3” in its place. Then use a reducer to use the 2” stuff. Shouldn’t take more than an hour or 2 to weld in a 3” receiver.
The OP stated that he doesn't weld. So he would have to take the fork frame to a weld shop.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct. As stated above. Also it was pointed out it would void any structural warranty for my pallet fork frame. So any future issue with it would be blamed on it being altered...which I hadn’t thought about. I’ll have to look at artillian’s warranty as I don’t even know what it is. May not even be factor if it’s day just 90 days or something less than a year.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It would worry me that a company selling an over $2,000 saw does not have its act together enough to know what size receiver mount it requires.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm going to guess you could go to your local Ford truck dealer and get a sleeve or pair of sleeves to reduce from 3" to 2" receiver...
With that in hand you should be able to bushing up to what size you need and fab it as short as possible to keep everything as compact as possible..

Brother in law had a Ford F350 that had a bigger than 2" as a factory receiver and saying it came with bushings.. to pin together as needed.. It shouldn't take much to have a short "increaser" welded up I'm guessing not extending more than 6 to 8" farther out.. They are saying the saw is 90 lb.. If that includes the arm it is on that isn't too much to be that much farther out..

Not sure if Dodge 3500 or Chevy equivalent has anything similar...

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can buy any of those adapters at Tractor Supply or Ag Supply. That's a really simple fix without changing the mount but it will require you to go get something welded. You don't need to get the frame welded on just the adapters. Get something welded up like it should be and be done with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts