Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So we live in New England, and we have a very large SUV and a pick up truck. So both large vehicles. I wanted probably a 3 car garage plus storage for my x758 also, and all it’s implements and garden tools etc. we have a large 1 car or small 2 car garage and it’s simply too small for our current vehicles, would barely fit two cars but no room for the x758

So the time has come to beef it up and go for bigger. What size would you suggest?
What would be the building footprint?
Wondering if we should add a second floor and dormer window it or a full second floor...for storage, maybe in future add a bar and pool table up there or just keep everything on the ground floor ?

The garage would be backing out on to a quiet street, or I can put a turnaround outside the garage, but this will add some serious additional footprint to our small half acre lot, we don’t want to lose too much lawn or green area.

Wondering if I should get a contractor to build and oversee it, or if there’s good savings to be had and good quality from a shed company that come and knock it out in one day or something to that affect

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated so I don’t make mistakes etc

I’m thinking I’ll probably have to go with an asphalt driveway or turnaround due to the snow we get here in New England

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
They're never big enough. I keep telling my bride I need an adult sized toy box, 60' x 100'---with room to add on. The attached garage on our home has three overhead doors and is 28 x 70....and full to the gills. Plus I rent three garages in town.

If you have the real estate, go as big as you can and rent the extra space to guys like me. The only thing I'll caution you about is friends and relatives, they'll want you to store their junk for nothing and WILL fill it up. We're trying to leave MN for a more tax friendly state, otherwise, I would have already done this here.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I'm building my own shop 50x100. It's a ton of work and time. My best advice is hire it done. I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek and somewhat seriously. It takes some real expensive equipment to do the work. Renting it is big money. Buying it to use and resell is an expensive investment. The carpentry skills aren't a too taxing. The time and have the help has been challenging for my project. Can these Jokers really build a shed that big?

I'd say you need to decide how much you want to spend and go from there. You can design kind of what you want on a number of building web sites. You don't have to buy from any of them, just use their sites for design ideas. I did that and then used Menards web site to get a cost estimate for materials. I got a quote from Morton that about knocked my socks off and it didn't include most of the electric or the heated floor.

Private guys that build pole buildings were much cheaper. Still more than a cheap guy like me wanted to spend. The local guy was booked up. I found an Amish group, they were booked up also. That put me on the path of doing it with my 2 boys and me. The boys and I have enjoyed doing it even though one hasn't been able to be there much. The base goes slow and we've had plenty of problems, some from inexperience and some from just plain bad luck.

I'd say set a budget, get an idea of what that buys and go from there.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Eire:

There is no magic formula for what the right size is other than what you need and want and can afford. Of course I suspect the local building officials will have their say with building codes and setbacks.

We have a 3-car garage that is about 750 square feet. In that garage I've got my wife's Rogue, My F-250, my 4200 and X754. I used to have a Honda Accord in there too. In addition to the vehicles I have a welder, a small horizontal bandsaw, a 20-gallon vertical compressor and a toolbox, plus a bunch of crap.

If I had my way, that garage would have at least another 250 square feet, 10' high garage doors with one being 20' wide and the other 10' wide. I would have space to open car doors completely without banging into the garage walls or the vehicle next to it. I would also have a man-door.

Since I'm not a fan of stairs; I vote for one level.

The bottom line is that it will fill up faster than you think and build as big as you can now, not later.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I built s shop that is 28’ deep by 30’ wide. I would say it’s barely big enough. It what I would describe it as 2 1/2 car garage, built on a slab, regular framed with vinyl siding. When you get into larger buildings is when pole buildings start to get cheaper.

A couple things to think of, how to wire, will you weld or have a big air compressor some day? How I’ll you heat it? Will you be able to build on a slab or do you need footings? Some places have building requirements and will require footings.

Two mistakes I made. I work on my own vehicles. I should have built taller. You can get a hoist for 3k or a little less. My ceiling is a little over 8 foot tall, not reall high enough. I also have two regular sized garage doors. One of them should have been a wider and taller door. Of course I wish it was bigger.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eire:

There is no magic formula for what the right size is other than what you need and want and can afford. Of course I suspect the local building officials will have their say with building codes and setbacks.

We have a 3-car garage that is about 750 square feet. In that garage I've got my wife's Rogue, My F-250, my 4200 and X754. I used to have a Honda Accord in there too. In addition to the vehicles I have a welder, a small horizontal bandsaw, a 20-gallon vertical compressor and a toolbox, plus a bunch of crap.

If I had my way, that garage would have at least another 250 square feet, 10' high garage doors with one being 20' wide and the other 10' wide. I would have space to open car doors completely without banging into the garage walls or the vehicle next to it. I would also have a man-door.

Since I'm not a fan of stairs; I vote for one level.

The bottom line is that it will fill up faster than you think and build as big as you can now, not later.
I don’t do any welding and I’m not a mechanic or shop worker or anything like that. The most I’d do is service the outdoor equipment like the snow blowers the x758 etc. possibly oil changes on the cars that’s about it, and need room for 3 cars, the x758 and room for a workshop bench for typical bits of DIY around the house

I’d like to be able to open the doors of the vehicles without them touching

So with all that what footprint do you think that building would have?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
A single bay for the x758 and the attachments won't be enough. My shed is the same size as one of my bays and there's no way I could fit my tractor, cart, dethatcher and bagger in a single bay....not without creating a trip hazard or feeling crowded.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A single bay for the x758 and the attachments won't be enough. My shed is the same size as one of my bays and there's no way I could fit my tractor, cart, dethatcher and bagger in a single bay....not without creating a trip hazard or feeling crowded.
So for a 3 car are we talking a 4 car garage? (3 cars and one loved GT)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I agree with everyone else, you can't go too big! But, for full size truck (especially crew cab), you want a bare minimum of 24' deep inside dimension. The garage I built at my last house was was 24' external dimension with 2x4 walls. It was cozy. In this house, I have 24' inside dimension (plus the 2X6 walls). If you have or are considering a crew cab long bed truck, I would shoot for more like 26' minimum.

Lee

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've been kicking around the idea of adding another garage... or do I want a shed?... maybe just a steel carport?... or just add a lean-to to my garage?... I can't decide.

I will say that when we moved into the place we're at now, I thought the 30' w x 40' d x 10' h attached garage, with 2 10'w x 8'h doors would be almost too big. Boy, was I wrong! :laugh: 8' doors = no ROPS oopps! (1025r)

Currently stuffed in my garage is, a full sized crew cab pickup, a small 4 door car, a corvette, 2 motorcycles, a lawn mower, a snowblower, a log splitter, the 1025r, some of the implements, a workbench, tool boxes... It's getting tight!

I need additional space for, a 4x8 trailer, more implements, an A-C B tractor, and over flow from my current garage. I'd like more room to walk around in my current garage and maybe put in a 4 post lift... :gizmo:

There's a local company that specializes in garages. They pre-build a lot of it in their shop, then send it out with the crews to erect it. They can do all the work including the site prep/dirt work. Their base prices per square foot are real close to the pre-built and delivered sheds. And, they'll build just about anything you want. They'll add windows, doors, change siding, roof materials, build it taller...

My advice to you is the same as the others... Go as big as you can. It's cheaper to build 1 bigger building than it is to build 2 smaller ones.

If you're thinking of heating it, consider in floor hot water heat. I had it in the basement of the last place we lived. The crew that installed it while the house was under construction did a great job. The basement floor was always warm, even in the coldest part of winter. It was cheap to run and great design!

The place we're in now has it in the basement and the garage. In this case it's worthless. It's inefficient, poor performing, $$$$$ to run and I'n not happy. I can run 110° water through it for days on end and feel almost no difference in floor temps. I don't know where they ran the lines or if they insulated the floor... I found out the previous owner traded beer for the install to his friends in the trades while they were building the place :banghead::banghead:.... They did a $hi##y job, but it's too late to do anything about it now $$$ A properly designed system, properly installed, is a beautiful thing!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've got a 4.5 car garage, I will have to snap some pics in the am. I bet it's what you're leaning towards ...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a 4.5 car garage, I will have to snap some pics in the am. I bet it's what you're leaning towards ...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hey that would be great. The dimensions would be great too with inside pics

The lot size is only 80 ft wide, and 10 foot setbacks from each side and 20 foot setbacks from the street. All that and a 0.4 acre lot it doesn’t give me much lawn left and I love my lawn. So I need ideas.
The home rear door is 100 ft currently from the garage there right now.

I played with the idea of bringing the garage up to the back door to make it less hassle hopping in the car and taking in groceries etc but this would come across the back of my home too much and the turnaround would eat up my lawn space. At least if I keep the garage on the existing site the turnaround/driveway will be on precious land we don’t and can’t even use if you get me....cos it’s on the 20 ft setback from the street where we can’t even build on (except driveway)

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
So for a 3 car are we talking a 4 car garage? (3 cars and one loved GT)

Crew cab with the 6.5' bed takes up one bay, but not deep enough to drop the tailgate if the garage door is ****. Wife's cherokee fits fine. Unfortunately the 10' ceiling is too low to put in any lifts. If I had a 3rd bay I could fit the x758 and my couple attachments. Plus it would add another 10' in width to the back wall for hanging stuff or a work bench.

A lot of guys will tell you, no matter how big you make it, you'll still run out of space eventually LOL.

If i had my way I would just build a steel building and insulate the walls so I could heat it to 50ish. Two post lift, floor drains, a loft for storing stuff. Work shop on the back side with a man door and overhead. Another man door and overhead from the garage area to the work shop.

I would leave my attached garage alone.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I don’t do any welding and I’m not a mechanic or shop worker or anything like that. The most I’d do is service the outdoor equipment like the snow blowers the x758 etc. possibly oil changes on the cars that’s about it, and need room for 3 cars, the x758 and room for a workshop bench for typical bits of DIY around the house

I’d like to be able to open the doors of the vehicles without them touching

So with all that what footprint do you think that building would have?
Is your lot rectangular or irregular shaped? You've mentioned the various setbacks; but without knowing where the house sits in relation to the rest of the lot, it's a crap-shoot as to what is doable on your property.

I'll quote an architect friend of mine, "Space is cheap, kitchens and bathrooms aren't."

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope this plot diagram helps

Attachments

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
First and foremost check your deed for restrictive building covenants and check to see if there is a Architectural Control committee that controls you if your in a subdivision.

When supplying building plans to the local building inspector title it "Barn" as generally speaking this should reduce your property tax assessment.

Stub up water supply and sewer lines into the building, but don't show bathroom walls etc. in the plans. Have at least one freeze proof water spigot outside of building.

I'd say 10'x10' garage doors, probably 30'(gable end)X 60' (garage door side). Use 2x6 exterior walls, foam insulated.

Add 150% more electrical outlets than you think you need. Use at least a 200amp service.

Find a software or building app that depicts this structure to make sure the building doesn't overwhelm your house.

Run a 2" pvc line from building to house for Cat5/6 or other ancillary wiring for future use.

Good luck, get your :gizmo: ready

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hey everyone.

So we live in New England, and we have a very large SUV and a pick up truck. So both large vehicles. I wanted probably a 3 car garage plus storage for my x758 also, and all it’s implements and garden tools etc. we have a large 1 car or small 2 car garage and it’s simply too small for our current vehicles, would barely fit two cars but no room for the x758

So the time has come to beef it up and go for bigger. What size would you suggest?
What would be the building footprint?
Wondering if we should add a second floor and dormer window it or a full second floor...for storage, maybe in future add a bar and pool table up there or just keep everything on the ground floor ?

The garage would be backing out on to a quiet street, or I can put a turnaround outside the garage, but this will add some serious additional footprint to our small half acre lot, we don’t want to lose too much lawn or green area.

Wondering if I should get a contractor to build and oversee it, or if there’s good savings to be had and good quality from a shed company that come and knock it out in one day or something to that affect

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated so I don’t make mistakes etc

I’m thinking I’ll probably have to go with an asphalt driveway or turnaround due to the snow we get here in New England

Thanks in advance!!
Spaces appears to be an issue. Things you need to think about:

1. Zoning. Who ever governs your area will have a say in what you can do. When I lived in Texas outside of city limits, I did not need a permit for my 30x40 shop but when I moved to NC, even though I live in the county, I had to shell out $100 and show them my engineer approved plans.

2. Materials/type. Three basic types in my mind. 1. Garage style. 2. Post frame (think pole barn) 3. clear span metal building. Need to decide which one based on many factors like budget, local zoning laws etc. You can find various kits on line or down here the local building supply place has plans/kits for either a garage style building or post frame. I bought my clear span building from Mueller Building.

3. Size. The biggest you can afford but since you are on a small lot, I would not go too big because it look out of place with the house and lot. You will fill it and find use for the space. Also you need to determine just what you want to do in your garage/shop, whether it be a man cave or storage/work facility.

4. Contractor or do it yourself. That all depends how handy you are with a hammer and how much time you have. I would find a good contractor to do it. I have built two shops and have used a combination of self help and a contractor to keep costs down. I know nothing about electricity so that always gets farmed out.

The only thing I would change on my latest shop is I probably would have added gutters on one side (I had no idea that NC would be entering an extended period of biblical amounts of rain fall), interior paneling (metal building so just bare insulation showing) and maybe another roll up door (I have two but a third would be handy).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. I am a land surveyor so recognize that kind of drawing.

I would probably have the garage across the back with a drive up to the house. I’d look at about 40 wide by 30 deep.
Across the back meaning up at the back door of the house or at the back on the back street where existing garage is?

I thought this would be convenient but may kill my lawn with the size of garage and the turnaround or courtyard to back out of.

Just to confirm the house has a street at the front and the rear. Currently the existing garage is at the rear (20x24 size)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts