Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, truth be known, I'm 55 hours into owning a tractor with a 3 point hitch. I knew about the adjustable top link. I have a RC2048 brush hog and have built a rolling sled for moving it around the shop. I've noticed that it's been getting more and more difficult to get it off the sled. I kept adjusting the top link to get more height. But the last time I used it I noticed that the quick hitch was drooping on the right side after taking off the brush hog. Having seen posts here about rock shaft problems immediately my mind went to something broken.

Then I spotted the adjusting device on the right hand lower arm. It was less than an inch down from the locking nut. Tightened it back up and voila! the hitch is back to level. One thing I don't know is why the locking nut wouldn't be on the other end. In this case the adjuster just worked its way away from the locking nut. Seems odd to me.

Not trying to be ignorant or neglectful, just uneducated about these things.

But anyway, learned something new and I hope others learn from my learning too.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
One thing I don't know is why the locking nut wouldn't be on the other end. In this case the adjuster just worked its way away from the locking nut.
The other end is reverse (left-hand) thread. It's nothing more than a turnbuckle. Chances are the lock nut wasn't tightened.

The locking nut in your picture is not original equipment.
Looks identical to the adjuster on my 1025R. :unsure:

·
Registered
321 Posts
The other end is reverse (left-hand) thread. It's nothing more than a turnbuckle. Chances are the lock nut wasn't tightened.

I had to enlarge the picture to max size and re-look, you are right, it is original, but there is no nut that I can see, just the funky ring clip. I took those off my tractor and put on a "real" nut at the lower end of both turnbuckles.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you buy the tractor new or used? The locking nut in your picture is not original equipment.
Brand new, reputable dealer.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other end is reverse (left-hand) thread. It's nothing more than a turnbuckle. Chances are the lock nut wasn't tightened

Agreed. It just seems to me that if normal use causes the turnbuckle to move away from the lock nut then maybe it should be on the other end.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
Agreed. It just seems to me that if normal use causes the turnbuckle to move away from the lock nut then maybe it should be on the other end.
Could be done with a left hand thread nut but if the nut isn't tight it won't matter what end it's on.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If you tighten the locknut against the turnbuckle body, it won't move. It doesn't take a lot, just a good snug.

·
Registered
2020 2025R
27 Posts
If you tighten the locknut against the turnbuckle body, it won't move. It doesn't take a lot, just a good snug.
And two wrenches. One on the lock nut, the other on the adjuster. Turn them in opposite directions.

·
Premium Member
18,088 Posts

X2 Same here

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yep, that's OEM and looks right. Just tighten the nut.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A quick question. What size is the nut? I'd like to pick up a dedicated wrench on the way home that I can keep in the tool box. Is is a 3/4"?

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
A quick question. What size is the nut? I'd like to pick up a dedicated wrench on the way home that I can keep in the tool box. Is is a 3/4"?
Larger than 3/4. I think it's either 22 or 27mm. I carry a small adjustable wrench (8") and a pair of water pump pliers in my toolbox.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just get an adjustable crescent wrench, make sure to get a metric one though ;).
I've already got one in the tool box. Metric even! Just wanted to have a fixed wrench for setting the lock nut against the turnbuckle too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts