Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the purchase of 60 inch working width aerator to improve my property (approx 6 acres). As I sort through the various makes / models, it's easy to identify the cheap stuff that, while tempting, would probably disappoint me after a few seasons.

The better quality (e.g. Frontier, Land Pride, Woods) aerators are double the cost, but I'm of the "pay once, cry once" mindset. Even still, I can't tell from the manufacturer's descriptions / photos if the spoon wheels turn independent of each other or if they're ganged together (like a drum plugger).

If you have either the Frontier CA2060E, Land Pride CA2560, Woods PL60, etc, I'd be interested in your evaluation and recommendation.

Reactions: JDeere655

·
Registered
956 Posts
i have the 4 foot version of the land pride. it is well made and I am happy with it. it is perfect for running through 2 acres of lawn a couple of times per year. i have a 4 acre hayfield that I would not want to run it through, because I think that would be pushing its limits. but then, it was designed for yard work.

it has independent wheels, but i dont see that as much of an advantage because I still have to raise the three point to turn, and I only navigate mild curves with the tines engaged.

i would rate it as medium duty, but I don’t think that i will cry twice.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I've got the Woods PL48 (48" plug aerator). I'd recommend not getting one that is a full fixed drum if your aerating route has you making subtle turns often. Plug aerators turn awfully, and the more rigid and further away the spoons are, the worse it'll turn and in the process tear up the yard.

I picked up my Woods earlier this year as a barn find "Was used, cleaned and greased twice a year for a few years, but has been sitting in the back of my garage for 12-15 years untouched and needs fresh grease". I've used it once for a little over 3 hours and put about 7 miles on it aerating this spring and it operated like new. I think Woods makes the Frontier, and would recommend either. Mine is heavy ~450lbs, but I did add 140lbs (two JD 70s suitcases) to it while aerating. There are two "wheels" to a spindle and each spindle spins independently.

·
Registered
2038R, X590
257 Posts
We've been using a solid drum style for years and it works great, but the largest area we are covering is a grass runway that totals about 4 acres. Lots of looooong straight passes, not much turning.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 on not turning with a solid drum model, will really tear up some turf!
I have a 5’ solid from coring model as I have a three acre front yard, but if I get in a hurry and turn too sharp I spend 10 minutes stepping on the divots I made to make it nice again

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
The old saying you get what you pay for. Cheap is good so long as you can get parts 10 years down the road, which is why the more expensive ones not only last but you can get parts.
As for the tines they are usually independent or two together.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi Leo.

I have the 4' Frontier. Very similar to the Woods pictured above.
It works ok. I put some ballast on it, and I get 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 " plugs. Each pair of spoon wheels are independent, but I still pick it up for anything more than gentle turns.
I also looked at Everything Attachments - but ultimately decided their 4 or 5 foot wide was too heavy for me. It's easy to add a bit of weight if you want deeper holes. But much harder to lighten an attachment that's heavy initially. I do about 3-4 acres.

Reactions: MattL

·
Premium Member
10,581 Posts
I have the PL-60. The spoons are independent in pairs it is built like a tank and I don’t think you could hurt it no matter how many acres. To give you an idea they recommend you do not hang more than 1000 pounds on it. o_O

·
Registered
956 Posts
those of you that aerate-what regimen do you follow? fall and spring? how many times each season, once, twice, more? I tend to only run it once in spring and once in the fall, but wondering if I should run it more often, especially in the fall.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
Twice a year is what I do now that I own one. Before owning one, once every two years, if that. Late April/early May (around 3rd mowing) and mid Sept when the summer humidity breaks. - When renting just in the fall.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a Land Pride CA 1556 3-point plugger, works well and very durable, I use it on my property as well as with landscaping customers, so this time of year it gets a lot of use. We generally plug in the Fall after spraying for late weeds the end of August or early September. Then after plugging, fertilize and overseed, preferably timed a few days after an extended rain if the weather cooperates. I get good penetration with three or four suitcase weights in the tray.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
JD 1025r, JD 3520, and JD HPX Gator
33 Posts
Not one of the brands you mentioned, but I own an EA (everything attachments) 60” drum style aerator and really like it. Yes, turning sharp doesn’t do well but I’ve learned to adapt. There aren’t many ground engaging implements you want to turn with in the ground so it’s something I’m used. The thing is built solid, has a great parking stand, and has plenty of weight on its own to the job (at least for Ohio soils).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.