Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
I've got the Woods PL48 (48" plug aerator). I'd recommend not getting one that is a full fixed drum if your aerating route has you making subtle turns often. Plug aerators turn awfully, and the more rigid and further away the spoons are, the worse it'll turn and in the process tear up the yard.

I picked up my Woods earlier this year as a barn find "Was used, cleaned and greased twice a year for a few years, but has been sitting in the back of my garage for 12-15 years untouched and needs fresh grease". I've used it once for a little over 3 hours and put about 7 miles on it aerating this spring and it operated like new. I think Woods makes the Frontier, and would recommend either. Mine is heavy ~450lbs, but I did add 140lbs (two JD 70s suitcases) to it while aerating. There are two "wheels" to a spindle and each spindle spins independently.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Twice a year is what I do now that I own one. Before owning one, once every two years, if that. Late April/early May (around 3rd mowing) and mid Sept when the summer humidity breaks. - When renting just in the fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.