Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have the hitch rack and weights installed I notice a lot more that the 3 pt. arms move side to side quite a bit . I see how to adjust this play , but how much play should there be ? Does it change according to attachment ? Does it matter if the weights are up or down when using tractor or does the fact that they are there satisfy the counter weight necessity ? Thanks for the help all . Stay warm .:cold:

·
Corndog Hater
11,873 Posts
I loosen mine up when attaching something and tighten them right down as part of adjusting the attachment and the 3PH. I like to have the rear weight up when using the tractor. Loose weight on the 3PH can really throw the tractor around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
I see how to adjust this play , but how much play should there be ? Does it change according to attachment ?
As long as the arms aren't rubbing against your tires there isn't any actual problem. That said, things shifting around can make the operator uncomfortable at times. It can be a little surprising when you aren't paying attention and all of a sudden weights shift on you. This is really a matter of your comfort level and your willingness to "fiddle" with the arms. If you're willing to play, you can tighten things up and eliminate the swinging side to side but you'll need to re-adjust with each/every attachment. If you don't plan on using any other 3-pt attachments for the rest of the winter you may not have to play with it again until spring.

Does it matter if the weights are up or down when using tractor or does the fact that they are there satisfy the counter weight necessity
The laws of physics are going to lean towards your weights being most effective when they are extended farthest out from the body of the tractor. I'd recommend you extend them out and keep an eye on them. As you play you'll find times when they are dragging on snow, etc... Pull them in a little when they do that. After a while you'll figure out *your* setting for the sweet-spot where they are extended as far as possible without ever dragging or hitting anything. Once you find that spot, make a mental note and you can just set to that spot when you fire up the tractor and head out to do some work. It's a little bit different for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep mine tight with very little movement.
Good Morning ChrisR . What would you consider very little movement ? Mine move approximately 2"s side to side . :dunno:

·
Premium Member
13,597 Posts
Good Morning ChrisR . What would you consider very little movement ? Mine move approximately 2"s side to side . :dunno:
I would consider that excessive. On my 2720 I try to keep the side-to-side movement to less than an inch. You want as little movement as possible without causing any binding.

·
Premium Member
13,597 Posts
If you're willing to play, you can tighten things up and eliminate the swinging side to side but you'll need to re-adjust with each/every attachment. If you don't plan on using any other 3-pt attachments for the rest of the winter you may not have to play with it again until spring.
This one of the areas that an iMatch really pays off. Once you mount the iMatch and adjust the stabilizer turnbuckles, you can then swap implements without having to readjust the turnbuckles.

·
Administrator
18,786 Posts
I would consider that excessive. On my 2720 I try to keep the side-to-side movement to less than an inch. You want as little movement as possible without causing any binding.
^^^^^^^
What he said :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I do have an iMatch hitch. I do not have to readjust the sway chains with the iMatch.

I am guessing mine moves maybe 1/8". I do not like them to have them so tight that there is no movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts